Heater box dilemma

-

spdart

Reaction score
I decided to convert my 73 Dart Swinger from AC to heat only so have been searching the forums and have discovered a lot of helpful info but now I’m stuck. I picked up a heater box reportedly from a 69 Dart and realized that it has three control doors. Temperature, shut-off, and defrost. That all works great when matched up with the control for that year. I separately picked up a control for a non-AC 73 Dart that has provisions for only two cables. Did one of the doors get eliminated in later year models? I’ve looked at photos of boxes for sale and noticed that some don’t have the shut off door (the one by the heater core inlet and outlet). Can I get away with tying that one back? That just doesn’t seem right but I’m missing something here and would appreciate some input.

I believe that the dart box has only 2 cables that go to the controller. I have a extra out of the car and will try to check it out later today.

the early models used all cables ( 3 ). The later models used cables and vacuum. The easiest way to see the difference is the fan switch early moves left and right, later moves up and down. I know this doesn't help much.
It think you'll need to find a way to install the early contoller in your dash. Different bezel Maybe ? Good luck

Thanks for the input. I actually have both early and late controls but like the way the early controls work. I'll have to see how they might fit into my late dash and then factor in the bezel as well.

I"m putting in a 72 non-ac heater box into an 73 AC car. The firewall is different. We cut the 72 firewall and grafted it onto the 73. Also, the no AC uses cables, AC yses vacuum hoses. Additionally, when we went to mount the 72 controls to the 73 AC dash controls.....you got it, the dash mounts are different. We wound up taking the whole 72 dash and putting it into the 73. We also took the extra 10 min. to cut the stereo DIN mount hole when the dash was on the bench. You get a nicer job that way.

-
Back