Heater Box Rebuild Help!!!

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
I got a heater box rebuild kit from DMT to fix up my old non-A/C heater box out of my 71 Scamp. Its pretty straight forward and the kit is an excellent value. The only problem i'm having is there is a foam strip that is left over in the kit and I have no idea where it's suppose to go. I installed the white foam strip that people usually overlook where the cardboard meets the blower motor plate. If you have done one of these it would be item number "5" on the instruction manual. All the other gaskets and foams are identified with a location and description on the picture index except for the one i'm talking about.

Any ideas?????

If no one comes up with your answer, just shoot James an email or give him a call. He's a nice guy.

There is a foam strip that seals the Box to the under dash A/C vents. Could be that they include that piece to work with and without A/C. Post a picture and i can tell you if it looks like the one I used in my Dart.

Is that strip about 4 inches long? If so that gets installed when the box is split in half. It gets wedged above the damper (top of the box) that is closest to the blower motor. I had trouble with mine staying in place so I didnt install it.

Somewhere in the instructions it tells you about that piece but its very hard to see in the pics.

If no one comes up with your answer, just shoot James an email or give him a call. He's a nice guy.

I did this morning and even tried calling a few times today. Got no answer. I'm sure he's busy. I've dealt with him before and he's a great guy! Just trying to get this thing done.

There is a foam strip that seals the Box to the under dash A/C vents. Could be that they include that piece to work with and without A/C. Post a picture and i can tell you if it looks like the one I used in my Dart.

I don't have a picture of it right now but it's the one in between the white caulking and the small white strip in the picture here:

http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/a-body-67-72-basic-non-a-c-heater-box-restoration-kit/

Is that strip about 4 inches long? If so that gets installed when the box is split in half. It gets wedged above the damper (top of the box) that is closest to the blower motor. I had trouble with mine staying in place so I didnt install it.

Somewhere in the instructions it tells you about that piece but its very hard to see in the pics.

I got that one if It is the one that is glued to the inner side of the metal blower plate and is pressed against the trap door hinge. It must be cause its the only one that has a picture of it installed in the directions.

Yes, that pic is for that piece if I remember correctly.

Ya I got that one. I'm talking about the small charcoal colored foam strip that is in the link above. It's actually right next to the white foam strip that goes behind the door hinge closest to the blower fan.

Oh, sorry!

That is for the drivers side fresh air box if I remember right. Its what is used when you mount it up to the cowl.

Oh, sorry!

That is for the drivers side fresh air box if I remember right. Its what is used when you mount it up to the cowl.

:scratch: now I'm confused. I thought the drivers side fresh air box only had two gaskets, the one for the door and the round one to seal it to the cowl?

Well crap, if you installed both of them then Im stumped also! I just rebuilt my box about a month and half ago and cant recall where that one goes. Sorry I thought I would be able to help you out.

I'm thinking it seals one of the small doors in the unit, similar to the long one does by the heater core and bigger door. I just put one of these kits in my 70 duster box and am not real sure where the shorter gray one goes either!

There was a small white foam strip in mine(66 a body) and it said it went where the cardboard went under the metal plate closest the blower motor, but I could not figure it out? I'm also concerned about the contour in the back where the cardboard goes?? Not sure I have all the parts??

I did an AC box. That looks like the piece that wraps around the tubes where they go through the box.

I just did my box for my 72 duster. That piece goes on the door that diverts the air between the defroster vents and the floor vents. That door, at least on mine had a piece of rubber attached to it. The foam attaches to the door next to that, and prevents air from going to the defroster vents when you have heater going.

-
Back