Heater heat

-
Are there any ways to make your car heater run hotter ....I need more heat in the car and even at the max setting....its not making it happen.

I bought a rear defrost unit from a member and I am hoping that helps in the initial warm up but it would be nice if there was a way to up the heat output from under the dash.

I have found heater boxes so packed full of leaves, and dirt, that it partially blocks the airflow. If everything checks out that everybody is,telling you to check, id recomnend taking the heater box apart, to clean it out. Bet theres 40 plus years worth of dirt and leaves in there.

I have found heater boxes so packed full of leaves, and dirt, that it partially blocks the airflow. If everything checks out that everybody is,telling you to check, id recomnend taking the heater box apart, to clean it out. Bet theres 40 plus years worth of dirt and leaves in there.

I also seen insulation packed around the heater core where the blower couldn't throw the heat. Thanks to the mice living in there.

Also, does the heater motor / blower seem to be running up to speed on high? Could be an electrical / bad motor issue, as well as various types of "plugged up" and internal doors issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB426 View Post
Take out the back seat and install a wood stove. Store firewood in trunk for traction in snow. Sorry but I had too!
I like it!!! that is a great idea. LOL ...I bet there is a custom van out there somewhere that does have a stove in it. LOL

A friend of mine in the 70's had a propane stove in the back of his customized 76 Dodge van. not a wood burner but close LOL

no idea what thermostat ....what ever comes stock ...how do you check?

funny you say that because when it really gets cold here in January I do see trucks and school buses with cardboard blocking the grille ....or between the grille and radiator. I have seen that.

MMMMM tasty idea you guys have there ...its almost lunch time too

If you take out the thermostat, it is usually stamped on it somewhere. Or you could just buy a 195° thermostat and put it in.

I like to check the thermostat to make sure that it opens by placing it in boiling water. It's hard to check the opening temperature with boiling water properly unless you have the right equipment.

Be careful blocking the radiator with cardborad. I did that once and overheated a 69 Roadrunner in January.... If you must block the radiator, start a little at a time and gradually increase blockage as needed. I do not recommend this as much as running a 195° thermostat.

If you dont know what temp the thermostat is then its probably time to replace it Rani.

Test the new one in a pot of water with a cooking thermometer as outlined before, some new ones are bad out the box.

If its below 50* I wouldn't hesitate getting a 205 thermostat, just make sure when the 50's come back you install a 195 (oem calls for 195).

To test for heater core blocking, disconnect both heater hoses from the engine and blow into one of them....

If you sense that it is blocked, alternate blowing in each hose until you work the blockage loose.... It may be a little stubborn at first, but keep blowing into the hoses, and it will eventually work itself free....

Hey Rani,
Just to let you know the rear defroster doesn't heat the air before blowing it out.
It just blows out what ever temp the air is already.

Dumb question, but is the blower motor moving the amount of air that it is supposed to?

Check for this too.....

DSCN1875.jpg

To test for heater core blocking, disconnect both heater hoses from the engine and blow into one of them....

If you sense that it is blocked, alternate blowing in each hose until you work the blockage loose.... It may be a little stubborn at first, but keep blowing into the hoses, and it will eventually work itself free....
I'm sure the neighbor boy would love to watch that from next door.:eek:ops:

Sorry, couldn't help myself! (runs for cover)

My method is to remove the hoses at the engine, drape them over the fender and garden hose flush alternating direction until water runs clear. Many times that is all it takes to get "run you out of the car" performance restored.

I'm sure the neighbor boy would love to watch that from next door.:eek:ops:

Sorry, couldn't help myself! (runs for cover)

And if she blows it clean on the first try, she's a keeper.... LOL!!!

Rani,
Did you ever get the heater putting out hot enough air for you, or are you still working on it? It's just around the corner!

Rani,
Did you ever get the heater putting out hot enough air for you, or are you still working on it? It's just around the corner!

the cardboard C suggested made a huge difference ......it actually turns out that there is nothing wrong with my heater ,......part of the problem is that I don't dress warm and rely on the heater to do more than it was designed .....so I put the cardboard over part of the radiator ...not the whole thing and got a rear defroster installed and got an external heater from harbor freight ....and now its nice and toasty in there even with flip flops on a frozen morning :D

Hey Rani,
Just to let you know the rear defroster doesn't heat the air before blowing it out.
It just blows out what ever temp the air is already.

your element is not working ...it has an element that heats up red hot and heats the air it blows out.

the cardboard C suggested made a huge difference ......it actually turns out that there is nothing wrong with my heater ,......part of the problem is that I don't dress warm and rely on the heater to do more than it was designed .....so I put the cardboard over part of the radiator ...not the whole thing and got a rear defroster installed and got an external heater from harbor freight ....and now its nice and toasty in there even with flip flops on a frozen morning :D

Glad to hear! One of these days girl, your going to have to rethink that winter time flip flop thing!!!! LOL

Does the car have a viscus fan? As it gets colder and colder there you can make the opening smaller on the cardboard. Just keep your keen eye on the temp. gauge.

Did you buy a rear defroster or have one in the stash somewhere?

Glad to hear! One of these days girl, your going to have to rethink that winter time flip flop thing!!!! LOL

Does the car have a viscus fan? As it gets colder and colder there you can make the opening smaller on the cardboard. Just keep your keen eye on the temp. gauge.

not sure what a vicious fan is ....has a 17 and half inch diameter fan ....7 blade ....it is bolted direct ...no fan clutch ....a fan clutch would fit so I went with direct bolt up fan

Google it and you will know.

no ...definitely not a one of those ....but it does bring up a question ....how far should your fan be from the radiator??

I have seen those fan clutches in cars before and they always seem way too close to the radiator and I know they can flex .....so in the static state ...how far should the fan be from the radiator for the way they are supposed to be.

on my car I don't know stock distance because its a 440 from another car and a radiator from even another car ....so I was really guessing when I put it together.

-
Back