Heater hose valve?

-

74Dart318

Reaction score
Not sure what part this is. I believe it is a valve of some sort for a heater hose. It is leaking coolant.

Do they sell these? Can I rebuild it? I don't know what it's called.

1230171143.jpg

Yup. Used only in A/C cars, vacuum controlled heater valve. "in the olde days" of actual real parts catalogs, you could get into the numerical/ pictorial guide and often find a substitute.

If you do try a substitute, I don't remember if that one opens or closes with application of vaccuum.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I should have stated my car. 1974 Dodge dart swinger 318 factory AC car.

Hot water valve that is controlled in the cabin via vacuum.
Have not seen a lot of those (especially that work and don't leak)

Ok, so you live in AZ so you'll want to be able to shut that off. :D
As little as heat is needed in AZ I just put a brass ball valve in the hose and open it when the weather requires heat, and close it off in the summer.
My car didn't come with the shut off valve or the controls for it either one, so I need to be able to shut off the flow in the summer or the heater box itself gets got.

Thanks Trailbeast. Good to know I can at least put a ball valve in there for now.

I would guess I could also get a different vacuum operated valve and replace this one. As long as the open/close specs match for the vacuum that would be applied when compared to the stock one.

If not a resto, check 5/8" heater control valves for other brands of cars. Ford trucks had one with a manual cable control. You will need some kind of control, don't bypass it.

rockauto.com has a replacement for this in stock $39. Slightly different configuration to mount, but looks like it would work.

80 power wagon has a cable controlled one.

Perhaps correct for 1974. The valve on my 1969 Dart looked different, with tubes for both hoses as I recall (Google Images works). If not worried about "correct", there are many which "should work". I got some new nylon ones for a ~2000's Ford for $7 ea on ebay which I may use for AC in my non-factory Mopars. They look functionally the same as yours. I recall that vacuum opens and a spring closes it. Some old Mopar ones had 2 vacuum lines as I recall (suck to open, suck to close?).

Alright everybody. Got the valve I ordered from Amazon. Installed and everything seems to work! Will need to figure out a more permanent mounting configuration. It's basically just held there by the hose now.

The downside is that the vacuum line enters on the opposite side. Will actually get to make sure it is working with the heat on tomorrow morning.

First picture is heat off, second picture is heat on.

0103181847a.jpg

0103181848~2.jpg

Here are some additional pictures of the valve.

0103181833.jpg

0103181833a.jpg

0103181842.jpg

0103181842a.jpg

Alright everybody. Got the valve I ordered from Amazon. Installed and everything seems to work! Will need to figure out a more permanent mounting configuration. It's basically just held there by the hose now.

The downside is that the vacuum line enters on the opposite side. Will actually get to make sure it is working with the heat on tomorrow morning.

First picture is heat off, second picture is heat on.

View attachment 1715126845

View attachment 1715126846
Ok so based only on how most gates are designed... the pics look reverse of your description. Lever in line with the pipe is gate open ( although it doesn't travel to fully inline ). Lever perpendicular to the pipe is gate closed. Automotive engineers don't always follow those rules.

-
Back