Heaterbox identification!

-
I need a heater box that will fit into a 71 Scamp and I dont want to spend the money on rebuilding this one if its not about to fit. It doesnt look like it will even mount into my car. Hence why i need a definite on the years this is from.

Right now, there is a 71' heater box from a duster for sale in that link. $100 plus the ride. Make him an offer.

Right now, there is a 71' heater box from a duster for sale in that link. $100 plus the ride. Make him an offer.

Ive seen that one but it has the A/C, that is what my car originally came with. I just want to get a lighter box since I've took out the A/C in the car.

You could take out the evaporator out of the box, and remove any un-needed ducting. The housing is made out of fiberglass, pretty light already. Plus, if you ever get tired of sweating your body off in those Midwest summers you could re-install it. :D

You could take out the evaporator out of the box, and remove any un-needed ducting. The housing is made out of fiberglass, pretty light already. Plus, if you ever get tired of sweating your body off in those Midwest summers you could re-install it. :D

I looked at my box and it didnt look like I could separate the 2 sections. I can take a look again though. Thanks for the idea.

I looked at the box pictured above and it actually has 4 studs on the blower motor. Not sure if that helps you all out or not.

Also compared to my original box, this one will not mount anywhere near the same as the original. I guess I was thinking it would just mount up like the original. Oh well!

Pretty sure that even if they are the same year, AC and non AC boxes mount differently, so the holes in the firewall won't match.

I found out the hard way too that the holes dont line up on the ac non ac boxes

Dads 67 cuda is ac, and we didnt want to put it in, but we realized that we had to in order for everything to mount properly in the passenger compartment....we didnt install everything under the hood...too much clutter(I think)

Awesome! Thanks for at least a couple of for sures! Now I just need to get to my car to test fit it and figure out how to make it work.

Awesome! Thanks for at least a couple of for sures! Now I just need to get to my car to test fit it and figure out how to make it work.

I took photos under the dash before I took it out so between that and the factory manual I'd remember a couple months after taking it out where everything reconnects. Let me know if you need any photos of anything and I'll see what I have to help you.

While it's out you should at the very least open it up and get all the leaves and pine needles out of it.

This box needs to rebuilt so if I know I can get it to mount correctly in my car I will by buying that rebuild kit that was posted above. I'll for sure let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Looks like a match.

View attachment DSC_0036em.jpg

This is just some of what I pulled out of mine.

View attachment DSC_0050em.jpg

I was driving my daughter and her boyfriend (whom we didn't particularly care for) to their prom last May. It was a warm evening and he was sitting up front with me. I told him he could open the vent door by his feet if he was warm. He flipped it open and was instantly shot with a cannon of debris all over him and his white dress shirt. He didn't say a word...
I looked in the rear view mirror and my daughter just rolled her eyes at me. It was so perfect. They broke up before she went off to school in the fall and now laughs about it with me.

LOL great story!! My daughter is a ways from dating yet, although I do have a few people that I dont particularly care for. Perhaps I wont clean it!

Hey, I know you're a ways off from putting her back together but to get the clips back on I used a Vise Grip sheet metal clamp. I very carefully pressed the spot together where the clip was going and then carefully clamped it back on next to the clip position to hold it together as I actually installed it. It made it so easier. You just have to be really cautious not to over-clamp it and chip or crack the case.

View attachment visegrip.jpg

-
Back