HEI on a small block mopar

-
Designed2drive is made by a fellow Barracuda Owner over on the B.O.G (Barracuda owners Group) Says its very much improved over the ECU that Mopar offers when used with an E-coil or HEI coil. Better dwell and higher RPM potential without retarding spark. Dont know about others. I would go with the bracket and 20 buck HEI module, keep your Mopar distributor and its curve.

yea i wouldn't be so worried about the stock look myself it would be more about parts if you get stuck on the side of the road somewhere. i know its rare but what happens if that fancy special distributor seizes up or something. not finding one of those at the local yard or pep boys. at least with the plate and a stock style distributor a local yard should have one or maybe even the local parts store so you can get home.. been putting my car slowly back to stock style parts just for that reason. i love to take long trips in my car and i want easy to get parts. thats the only thing that worries me about putting the EFI kit i have sitting around here on the car. but that uses all over the counter GM sensors so unless the brain goes i should be ok...lol

i just ordered one of those plates. i may try the HEI thing. its easy enough to do and i can get rid of the ballast and ECU. sucks because i just rewired the car last year and its all new to the stock style stuff..lol.

The stock look and the readily available parts is a compelling argument.

I agree, but one big discussion around the www is the QUALITY of replacement Mopar boxes.

In my case, "I did my own," used factory stock Mopar dist and just wired it up to a GM HEI. And the GM module is so darn small I can afford to carry one in the glove box, so to speak.

I agree, but one big discussion around the www is the QUALITY of replacement Mopar boxes.

In my case, "I did my own," used factory stock Mopar dist and just wired it up to a GM HEI. And the GM module is so darn small I can afford to carry one in the glove box, so to speak.

yea thats the other thing i was thinking. i have an extra ecu in the trunk but that HEI module is so much smaller..

how ya like the HEI set up on your car? can you tell a difference in the way it runs? you using stock stuff or a performance coil/module? or doesn't it matter?

the website selling the ecu dissy recommends you re-gaping the plugs to 50 thousandths

Sounds like a neat idea, but it means you may have trouble if you get stuck on the side of the road and have to through a points dissy back in.

true. guess you can close the gaps up on the road though if you had to.. i don't think i would open mine up past 40 anyway..

how ya like the HEI set up on your car? can you tell a difference in the way it runs? you using stock stuff or a performance coil/module? or doesn't it matter?

Cannot tell yet, really

I just barely got the car drivable, with some bugs, and an oil leak

Today it finally warmed up and---we have vapor lock. So the project is laid out, vapor return, and maybe electric pump

I'm just using a stocker round coil, and mostly tried this because I had a BUNCH of Mopar ECU's a couple were off brand, and only two of the 5 or 6 I had were 4 pin, rest were 5

NOTE to those to ID 4/5 pin ECU's: ALL six of the ECU's I have do have all the pins, but the 5th pin is not connected in the 4 pin boxes

I'm running one of these on the Toyota 20R in my little Cletrac/ Oliver Crawler, same deal, stocker breakerless dist, stocker coil and no ballast. Works great.

http://cletrac.org/forum2010/index.php?topic=2321.0

211ktu8.jpg

-
Back