HEI questions

-

phaelax

Reaction score
I thought I already had a post asking about HEI systems but I couldn't find it, so sorry if I'm repeating dumb questions.

So as I understand it, I would no longer use the ballast?

I was looking at this kit for my 440 on ebay: BB Mopar HEI Eletronic Distributor Ready To Run Chrysler Kit Dodge 413 426 440 | eBay

At first I looked at MSD but there's a huge price difference between MSD and many others I've found online. Would the above kit give me everything required to make the switch?

No ballast necessary with HEI. Join the wires, or eliminate the wiring all together. HEI systems run on a full 12 volts.

You should Also consider a reputable dealer vs fleabay ;)
with a warranty, and customer service.

TSP-JM6930BL - E-CORE 50K VOLT Coil, Blue Finish
Street Fire Spark Plug Wire Set MSD Ignition 5551 - Pace Performance Parts
TSP-JM6714BL Mopar BB Ready to Run Electronic Distributor. Blue Cap

upload_2017-1-10_14-29-34.png

Last edited:
I do like knowing what brand my stuff is, lol. One more question though, is there anything special about those wires that I necessarily need? Cause I just bought new wires last year.

I do like knowing what brand my stuff is, lol. One more question though, is there anything special about those wires that I necessarily need? Cause I just bought new wires last year.
just the fact that they have HEI terminals on them for use with a male cap distributor. you can swap the terminals out also. i believe i have the terminal kits for all of $10-15

Just thought of another question. I think I recall reading that I'd need a larger gap on my plugs. Is that true?

I was able to order an old style female distributor cap for the small block version of this distributor. This allowed me to use the reproduction factory style plug wires.

Also, I had one of these distributors fail because the HEI chip was not properly seated on the heat sink. That distributor came from an eBay seller. I recommend you pull off the chrome cover and verify that locating pins on the HEI chip are properly seated in the holes on the heat sink.

I was able to order an old style female distributor cap for the small block version of this distributor. This allowed me to use the reproduction factory style plug wires.

Also, I had one of these distributors fail because the HEI chip was not properly seated on the heat sink. That distributor came from an eBay seller. I recommend you pull off the chrome cover and verify that locating pins on the HEI chip are properly seated in the holes on the heat sink.
I had an ebay ready to run hei distributor fail for the same reason. I went to Trailbeast's system for a major win.

FYI, the ballast is a simple unit, HEI does not require a step down in power like MOPARs original unit did. The ballast resistor is only required if using a low power ignition unit, other wise all you need is the blue and brown IGN wires.

I haven't had any of these fail since we took them on 3 ish years ago. Have a ton in the market. And have the replacement modules readily avail. I have read about some of these units taking an oddball module thats impossible to get. Mine are $12.

I haven't had any of these fail since we took them on 3 ish years ago. Have a ton in the market. And have the replacement modules readily avail. I have read about some of these units taking an oddball module thats impossible to get. Mine are $12.

The holes in the heat sink were spaced different than the pins on the HEI chip. I had to shave the pins off the replacement chip so it would lie flat on the heat sink. Working fine ever since.

The holes in the heat sink were spaced different than the pins on the HEI chip. I had to shave the pins off the replacement chip so it would lie flat on the heat sink. Working fine ever since.
I don't know how many companies make these...but i know there's more than one as i have seen some pretty janky versions being peddled at swap meets. The version we sell has been trouble free for us.
I'll point out the company that makes ours also makes many parts for some very high profile brands...from intake manifolds, to ignition boxes. I'm more than happy with them so-far.

The Pace distributor looks identical to the one many sell on ebay. No secret that Ningbao is the Chinese manufacturer, so wonder why Johnny Pace doesn't disclose that. Steve White Performance of TN seems to be the biggest ebay seller, and perhaps was earliest. I see ~$70 for BB and $45 for SB (distributor alone). For a small-block, a cheap source of quality plug wires are the factory ones from a Magnum 5.2/5.9L engine, silicone jacket which should last forever, and just sitting in the junkyards.

The Pace distributor looks identical to the one many sell on ebay. No secret that Ningbao is the Chinese manufacturer, so wonder why Johnny Pace doesn't disclose that. Steve White Performance of TN seems to be the biggest ebay seller, and perhaps was earliest. I see ~$70 for BB and $45 for SB (distributor alone). For a small-block, a cheap source of quality plug wires are the factory ones from a Magnum 5.2/5.9L engine, silicone jacket which should last forever, and just sitting in the junkyards.
Im not hiding anything whatsoever. If you know that every single distributor that looks like this is made at the exact same factory in china, I guess you know something I dont. I have seen these with orange caps, which isn't even an option from my supplier, and I have seen similar versions that take an Australian based Module. Both looked like they were cast in a sand puddle, the ones we get in have been quality appearing. Sorry if you feel im being misleading by not promoting my competition on a venue that I pay to advertise on.

I have one of these ready to run distros/ modules/ cap and msd homemade wires minus a connector for the coil wire that i replaced with trail beasts system because i was tracing issues... for 50 bucks...

Johnny,
Sorry, I thought you meant you were sourcing them from the factory. Below shows the manufacturer. Others found this, I just filed away. I mis-spelled their name. You might get a much better price buying direct, but might have to order qty 100.

Ningbo distributor.jpg

Last edited:
I will need cam bearings and a brass freeze plug kit for my Cleveland when it gets out of the machine shop. Do you have those?

Morning Sir,
Take me a week or so to get, but we can get freeze plugs for a cleveland
Brass Freeze Plug Kit Proform 66555 - Pace Performance Parts

on the cam bearings, I don't buy durabond, or clevite direct, so you're just as well ordering them from someone that can get them quicker than me.

thanks for asking!

-
Back