heli coil help

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
i stripped the header threads on my edelbrock head.we tried and tried,but finally just removed the helicoil and put a steel bolt with antiseize in.what ill effects will this have in the future?will it back out?or will i not be able to get it out again?i know i should have pulled the head and had it fixed right with a new helicoil,will the steel bolt in the aluminum head be an issue?

So you used the next size up bolt (which should be 3/8) and just tapped the existing hole bigger or what?

As long as it gets tight it will stay tight.

Here is some free advice from someone who has fixed more threaded holes than I care to even think about.

If it works, run it. If it doesn't work, or fails again down the road...STOP.

The more you screw with it, the more work it is to fix it. Can't tell you how many time I had to weld stuff like that up, machine it flat and drill and helicoil a new hole.

The more you work on it and jack it , the more I charged to fix it.

Like I said, at this point, as long as it is staying tight, leave it alone. If it has issues again, pull the head and have it fixed by someone with a mill or even a seat and guide machine. And they'll probably need an EDM and TIG welder if you're not careful.

Where did you find a bolt to "fit" a Helicoil thread? There really is no such thing. The new steel bolt must have basically cut it's own threads in the aluminum. This will be an issue next time you take it apart I think. Or if it starts to loosen, you might strip it again when you go to tighten it.

Instead of anti-sieze i would consider loctite. It acts as a sealant and prevents galling.
Stainless in aluminum is the problem one.

69,it went in tight,so it probable did cut its own thread.it snugged down.at that point and left it alone

Yeah, you will be able to get it out, no problem. But the question will be what is left in the hole for the next time. Some of those new cut threads will come out as metal slivers. I'd make a plan deal with it sooner rather than later, when you get some down time.

Here is something that might work... but I have never used one to know how well they work.
OVERSIZE BIG-SERT thread repair for badly damaged hole - Cross Tools Co

Where did you find a bolt to "fit" a Helicoil thread? There really is no such thing. The new steel bolt must have basically cut it's own threads in the aluminum. This will be an issue next time you take it apart I think. Or if it starts to loosen, you might strip it again when you go to tighten it.

Helicoil is a brand. There does exist some brands of thread repair coils that use standard bolt taps. Keensert is one, there may be others. But you are right........he likely damaged whatever was left in there. Might be some welding in the future.......

remove the bolt carefully and thread in a stud with locktite on it. Never unscrew it again.....The STI taps (helicoil type) are larger than standard taps of the same size. They also sell studs that have 2 sizes of ends, ie 3/8-5/16. Ive use a few 8X1.25 metrics in stripped carb intakes before.

Helicoil is a brand. There does exist some brands of thread repair coils that use standard bolt taps. Keensert is one, there may be others. But you are right........he likely damaged whatever was left in there. Might be some welding in the future.......
When new Edelbrock heads come with the standard Helicoil wire-type inserts in all the holes.
You're correct, it may now be time to drill all those damaged threads out and put a bigger oversize insert such as a Keensert in there.

-
Back