Hellcat crate motor in 68 Dart?

-
As I said, decided to go with my original plans and put a Gen 2 572 hemi in the Dart. Hellcat crate will have to wait for a 70-71 cuda to be found. The reason for my decision is that the rear quarters have already been modified as in hemi dart style and I didn't want to do a LO23 semi clone with a gen 3 motor. Just didn't seem right. So for better or worse the 572 will eventually find its way into the 68 engine bay. Thanks for the replies.

Personally, I am disappointed in your choice of vehicle for this Hellcrate. Please endure a couple of points I have to make.

The E body Cudas are absolutely a cool car; for sure its a good recipient of a 6.2 and yes, it would be worth more than the Dart when done. However, a decent Cuda to restore will cost you a lot more to begin with than a Dart. If for sure you could double (or more) the extra "investment" in the Cuda when done, it would validly the argument. From my view though, it will just be worth more by about the extra cost of the initial investment. A well restored Dart is no slouch in value when done right.

If you place a completed HC Cuda next to a completed S/S Dart clone with a HC under the hood, people (I believe) will like the HC Cuda, but they'll be expecting a BB Hemi under the hood of the clone car and get quite a surprise when they see the HC under the hood.

Personally, I like cars that are a little different and have a bit of a surprise or even wow factor to them. To me, a direct clone of a S/S Dart is just another of the many clones that are out there, but an S/S Dart with a HC has a surprise and wow factor to it.

Obviously the choice is yours. I just had to get my opinion out there about your situation. Thank you for listening. Lolol

I am getting the hellcat through the local dealer. I have done a ton of business with them so the price is right on the parts I buy. A small token of appreciation to the parts guy at Christmas doesn't hurt. They Chrysler parts computer said there were 165 hellcat crates sitting in the warehouse. The rest of the parts for the build are also available. They should land within the month. Interestingly enough I decided to stay with old school and am having my gen 2 hemi block built for this dart. Anyone have a 70-71 cuda they want to get rid of for the hellcat?? Thanks for the response.

I appreciate your perspective. My choice came down to not wanting to be a pioneer. Pioneers get arrows and at this point in my life I can do with as little drama as possible. I have a pretty good idea what it will take to build my 572 clone as I have a 572 in my 64 savoy. The hellcat is a whole different ball game and frankly WAY out of my comfort zone. I don't have access to a support system to make things work when they don't. And I am also way past kissing someone's rear to get them to work on my project regardless the cost. So I have chosen the path of less resistance to get this build done and on the road. Sure, if I had a Gas Monkey garage behind me, or even good mechanical ability I would think the hellcat in a dart would be great. In reality I am now looking at this build as my last. Despite some lofty dreams, the truth is a hellcat Cuda will not come to fruition. I will most likely sell the hellcat motor to someone who is way smarter and more skilled than I. A man needs to know his limitations. Over the years I have learned mine. Thanks for the response.

I completely understand. Just razzing you a bit to try and get you on the Gen3 band wagon. I'm an older coot myself and my Cuda is definitely my last build. I abandoned my big block plans and switched to the Gen3 when they came out because I was told the big blocks didn't handle well at all. Also, at my age I've seen so many big blocks and small blocks that they don't capture my interest any more. A 572 Hemi will be a beast in your Dart and a fun one for sure. Hope you start a build thread so we can all follow along?

If you don't mind, could you PM me with the pricing your dealer is giving you? I'd like to compare with what my dealer wants. Supposedly a good price and I'd like to keep him honest. Lol

-
Back