hello, and please help

-

spud

Reaction score
dear members,
not sure if I am posting this in the correct area as I am fairly new hear.
but I would like some advice. I am looking at a 65 cuda I have the fender tag and it reports to be a factory 273 commando 4 sp car. lets be honest its a basket case, no frt clip no drivers seat and in fact very little useable interior. heavy damage to the rgt rear quarter, very little [if any] useable crome a 2 bbl small block sits under the non exing hood [im assuming a 273,]valve covers off and no carb, so probably rusted solid, but all the drivetrain is there front to rear.
now the upside, I live in north Idaho, so the car is solid as far as rust goes, a little in the areas you would expect bodywise, but nothing structural.
all the glass is there including the back glass its been sittin in the same wrecking yard for 15 years I know the man who owns the yard, anyway, I wanted to buy this as a project for my son and myself, he is 22 and has severe health problems so want a project to keep his mind busy, I was going to pay 1000 for it but the started researching p/a and changed my mind lol, do any of you have an idea what I should pay? less? more? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, spud

Welcome to FABO for starters.IMO $1000 seems high for a damaged non-running car with many parts(interior)missing.Go to the Forums and check Mopars for sale ads or even Craigs list for a better deal.Father/son projects are my favorite to read/look at,so if you find something make sure to start a thread in the Members Restoration forum.Good luck.:D

Wow, a spud from Idaho, imagine that, lol. Welcome aboard.

I agree with Scott, it sounds high for what you are describing. I paid 1K for mine in my sig pic and it was a running car when I bought it.

Welcome aboard. From your description, sounds high to me.

yes, I agree with all of you, lol that's why I hadn't bought it yet, I know the bback glass can sometimes sell for 500 or so, that's why I was considering it , but , still I think I can find something better, thanks to all for your comments so quickly, one problem is my location, I did find some seemingly got prospects in fabo sale , but all to far away, im in n. Idaho, if anyone know of a good project near me please let me know, thanks again

First of all, welcome to FABO!! Now, If the back glass can sell for $500 or more, send those customers to me!! I currently have 4 extra ones and can't give them away!! That is the oldest rumor in Moparland!!

Move from that car as quickly as you can, there are much better examples for not much more than you'd pay for that parts car, which I believe why it is missing so many parts!! Buy something like Dart Doctors car, which is close, is owned by an upstanding member here, and is complete!! Heck,'I think the car even runs, yes??

Good luck with your search, you came to the right place!! Geof

@cosgig

lmao, thankls for the heads up in that rumor, seems I had fallen prey to it,lol .
ive only recently become a mopar fan, so please pardon my ignorance

oh, and I would consider dart docs, but im in Idaho ,hes in oklahoma

Offer him $100. That's about all it seems to be worth in patch panels, if that

First of all, welcome to FABO!! Now, If the back glass can sell for $500 or more, send those customers to me!! I currently have 4 extra ones and can't give them away!! That is the oldest rumor in Moparland!! Move from that car as quickly as you can, there are much better examples for not much more than you'd pay for that parts car, which I believe why it is missing so many parts!! Buy something like Dart Doctors car, which is close, is owned by an upstanding member here, and is complete!! Heck,'I think the car even runs, yes?? Good luck with your search, you came to the right place!! Geof
Yes it does

For your intended purpose I wouldn't pay much more than scrap metal prices for the car. While it may serve to be a good father son project. The early "A" body cars 1966 and earlier don't seem to be in high demand (the only exception maybe the wagons) and all will bring a very low return on investment including the Formula S.

My biggest concern with the car you describe is finding the sheet metal, especially the rear quarter panel. They do not reproduce a complete quarter panel or front fenders as far as I know and both are somewhat hard to come across in decent shape. So you will more than likely be looking for a parts car. One that hopefully is somewhat decent and complete to save your car.

If you do decide to take the challenge. The HP 273 and 4 speed in a small early "A" body make for a really fun car to drive. You also don't see many around these days.

Here is a 66 that followed my home a few years ago. Paid way to much but no regrets:D

Attachments

• Formula%20S%2066%20Barracuda%20058.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 117
  • 1966 Mauve Formula S 022.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 1966 Mauve Formula S 009.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 148
@cosgig

lmao, thankls for the heads up in that rumor, seems I had fallen prey to it,lol .
ive only recently become a mopar fan, so please pardon my ignorance

oh, and I would consider dart docs, but im in Idaho ,hes in oklahoma

So did the "Desert Car Kings"!! Still waiting on their call!!

I looked at a clapped out little 65 in my neck of the woods, and asked the guy his price. $4500!!! When I asked why so much he told me that the back window alone was worth $1500, so I told him I would pay his price of $4500 and give him 3 back windows in trade for it!! You guessed it... No deal!!

Good luck with your search, the early Cuda is a great entry into a father/son project, parts are cheap and pretty easy to find,'especially lately!! Geof

yea, I saw that "desert car queen " show aslo, lol , sounds like im talking to the right people

would a 318 swap be an easy one in that car?, and could I make it appear as a 273?

So did the "Desert Car Kings"!! Still waiting on their call!!

Geof

I think you are talking about one of those shows I happened to see.
Totally staged!
They kept on and on making a big deal about not breaking the back glass getting it out.
How rare it was.
Then they put it on some saw horses.
Guess what?
OPPS. Now they have to get a replacement of this RARE glass before the old man finds out.
And they just HAPPEN to find a car across the street in another junk yard.
Well, they have to buy the whole car to get the glass.
But they got a good deal on it.
Funny thing is that car is a V8 car and the car they are working on is a slant six car.
Oh and did I mention they are planning to covert it to a V8 car.
Guess what they DON'T mention on the show.
That's right.
K members.

would a 318 swap be an easy one in that car?, and could I make it appear as a 273?

Sorry Spud,

I was typing before I read your question.
Is the car you are asking about a V8 car?
A 273 would mount up the same way a 318 will.
Both are "LA" engines.
The point of my story was that you can put a small block V8 in slant six car with "adaptor" motor mounts.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/
But swapping the "K Frame" is the factory way.
Is that where we are?

Oh, and I believe some of the best advice you have gotten is to not start off with something that will overwhelm.
Buying a car with a lot of missing stuff is a sure way to get burned and burned out.
Particularly a low value car.
Pay the extra money for somthing manageable.
Great you care about your son.

Sorry Spud,

I was typing before I read your question.
Is the car you are asking about a V8 car?
A 273 would mount up the same way a 318 will.
Both are "LA" engines.
The point of my story was that you can put a small block V8 in slant six car with "adaptor" motor mounts.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/
But swapping the "K Frame" is the factory way.
Is that where we are?

Oh, and I believe some of the best advice you have gotten is to not start off with something that will overwhelm.
Buying a car with a lot of missing stuff is a sure way to get burned and burned out.
Particularly a low value car.
Pay the extra money for somthing manageable.
Great you care about your son.

The k frame is the same for the /6 and the V8 on the early Barracuda. The only change was the center link.

where is the junkyard located? latah county? I am familar with the area and maybe could take a peek. I know of a few other cars worth taking a look at.

yes latah county, 6 miles east of Moscow, pm me for more details

Spud look in the orange count LA count california craigs list. Dont buy a claped out rust bucket because your in IDAHO. Shipping to idaho from cali is 500-800 bucks then you dont have to build from scratch. When you find one that looks good in pics PM me Ill go inspect it for you.

just looked no 4sp cars but 1 for 2000 has some rust. tiny rust one for 3000 runs has 273 another for 5500 but very nice. no rust.64 65s

Shipping from ok would be about the same. I know exactly where one sits and runs for $2500. I've seen it in person. Little rust in the 1/4 lips and maybe the floors a little, but it's a solid car.

-
Back