Hello from Northern California

-

carguybradd

Reaction score
Just found this site & thought I'd join up. I have a 1973 Duster I've owned for 25 years now, and grew up with my dad's '65 Barracuda (273 Commando/4-speed), so while I'm new to this site I'm not really new to A-bodies.

I hope to make some friends here and maybe swap some tech help (there's always something new to be learned). So anyone else here in the northern central valley of California, near Modesto?

Welcome aboard Bradd! It's cool to see someone who's had a car longer than me. :-D You have quite a few NorCal members around ... I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. Make yourself at home and enjoy! Post some pics when you get the chance.

Welcome to the site. I grew up and graduated from Marysville High School bout an hour north of Sac. Don't live there anymore though. You will like this site a lot of knowledge here! One thing is though is these guys/gals love pics so....:worthles:

Welcome to the site. Im in the Bay area. But Im from the Stockton area. Im usually in Stockton on the weekends and go to little car meets in that area. What do you have done to your car?

Welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here!

Welcome to the site. I grew up and graduated from Marysville High School bout an hour north of Sac. Don't live there anymore though. You will like this site a lot of knowledge here! One thing is though is these guys/gals love pics so....:worthles:

Welcome to the best site on the net!
You will spend a lot of time here.

Wow! Marysville H.S.
I used to play little league baseball there! My Dad was in the army stationed at Beale AFB, 54-55. We lived in Linda and then Marysville. Learned to ride a bike in Linda and got my first bike in Mville. Lot's of great memories from there.
Now live in Ga.
Heres a pic of what I have now.

Attachments

• 1967 Ply Barracuda 2a.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 198
Welcome to the forum!
I'm from Mariposa and Fresno originally spent most of my life in the central valley! :)
A lot of great people and a plethora of information on the site you'll love it.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! To answer a few of the questions asked:
I'm originally from the East Bay Area (Livermore/Dublin), but I've lived in the Central Valley for the past 10 years.
My Duster was originally a 318/TF904 car. I built & swapped in the '71 340 that's in it now, as well as the TF727.
What have I done to it? Besides the 340 (11:1, forged TRW flat-tops, shot-peened & polished factory rods & steel crank, aftermarket hydraulic cam, roller rockers, ported & polished "J" heads, gear drive, Mopar M1 intake, headers, etc.) and trans (w/ shift kit & TCI converter), I've also swapped out the 7-1/4" rear end for an 8-1/4 with factory 3.23 gears and factory 340 leaf springs (believe it or not from a 340 Duster I found in a junkyard many years ago), aftermarket 15X8 rallyes (to compliment the 14x6 originals on the front), dual exhaust with 2-chamber flowmasters, Holley electric pump w/ aircraft line all the way from the tank to the motor, added an original snorkel hood scoop I scored at a swap meet, cowl braces/bars from a later Duster, and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I forgot. It mostly stays in the garage these days, partly because with the high-stall converter and double-pumper carb it's a bear to drive, and partly because it's an eyesore (it REALLY needs a paintjob). I'm planning to repaint it in the original B5 metallic blue and restore the factory black & white bucket seat/console interior back to stock. I'm also going to swap out the converter and carb for something less racy so I can drive it again.

Here's an older pic (I've since put the grille back to stock):
73Duster.jpg

And one of my Challenger, in case anyone's interested in that one (it's a story unto itself):
2007_1008Image0081.jpg

Looks like you have a couple pretty decent cars. What's the story with the Challenger?

Welcome to the site.
Yeah, let's hear the story of the Challenger!
Love the Duster!

welcome aboard,

I lived in livermore for a long time, in Davis now, may move back to livermore soon. I'm just learning cars and make a lot of noise on here crying about my car troubles at times.

nice car, gotta run now, cya :wave:

Thanks again for the welcome guys.

Welcome and good to see more NorCal guys here. Are you going to the first show in Redding?

Hmmm, hadn't heard about that one. When is it? I am planning on attending the show at Olohne College in Fremont (in June I think). I was at the GoodGuys show in Pleasanton today - pretty low turnout, probably because of the weather. I only saw a handful of Mopes there.

OK, regarding my Challenger, since you asked: It's a 1970 "Western Sport Special", which is a pretty rare option package that was only sold in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas (mine was built at the L.A. plant and sold in the S.F. area). There were only something like 3500 of them made, and they're identifiable by a large decal on the rear quarter panel (and the A91 code on the fender tag). It basically was an upscale model but without the performance hardware. More info can be found here: http://www.challengerspecs.com/1970challenger_western_special.htm

Mine was B7 blue with a white top and blue interior, with a rim-blow wheel, split bench seat (yeah, I know, in a Challenger!?), the fake wood on the dash and door panels, air conditioning, PS (but manual brakes), "astro-toned" (argent) tail-light panel and grille, and lots of exterior trim/moldings.

My sister bought it from the original owner in the late 80's. I went with her to look it over before she bought it and asked her to give me first crack at it if she ever decided to sell. Unfortunately she developed a terminal illness and a couple years ago became unable to drive, so she called me one day to come get it. It sat for about ten years before I got it so it was flatbed towed to my house, and after rebuilding the carburetor and replacing the coil, fuel pump, battery, motor mounts, and master cylinder, it was running and drivable again. Everything on the car works, except for the AC, which I haven't investigated yet.

As of today it has about 72k original miles, and has never been in a wreck. Unfortunately, my sister stored it outdoors so the weather took it's toll and the paint is now shot. I've begun some restoration work but I plan to leave things original wherever possible if the condition is good enough. I removed the disintegrating vinyl top and found quite a bit of rust around the back window, with holes that resulted in water leaking into the trunk and causing a rust hole there too. The rest of the car is solid (I put in new carpeting and the factory overspray is on the inside of the floorpans - no rust there whatsoever). It's currently sitting in my garage awaiting it's turn while I finish up some other projects but I hope to make some more progress on it this summer.

I would have made the good guys show if weather wasn't pee'n everywhere.

saw some nice old cars around livermore yesterday....

Welcome to the site.
The Good Guys show is usually pretty weak Mopar wise, especially in the swap meet area. but it's a great show to see some nice street rods. The Ohlone show is one of the best.

-
Back