Hello Good People!

-

Matts70Duster

Reaction score
Hello good people, I am sure you all are as annoyed with the winter snow flying and cold as I am! With that being said, I am so ready for summer because that means I finally will graduate from college :brave: (only took me 6 yrs to get my double major in Professional Accountancy and Business Management :study: ), get to go golfing, get to go running in normal weather, and for all of you who are interested... work on my Dad's high school car!

First a little about myself... I am 24 yrs old and am about to graduate from college this spring. I have been an avid sports player my entire life, I literally played every sport available to me when I was young, and in college I have ran Cross Country and Track for my university. During my time running I became a 4 time All-American running a couple different events but the one most people are interested in is my 4:06 mile personal record. Some of my future goals include a sub 4 minute mile and making the Olympic Trials in the 3000m steeplechase in 4 years. Along with graduating and running during college, I am looking at purchasing a local running shoe and apparel store. The owner made me an offer that can't really be matched or turned down if I honestly want to do this for the rest of my life. So with the bank's cooperation I dream job will come true right out of college. [-o<

Now to the part that all of you really want to know about... the car! Back in the day (1976) my dad borrowed his brother's Sublime Green 1970 Plymouth Valiant Duster with a 340 Wedge and a Hurst 3-speed on the floor for his senior prom. When he asked if he could use the car my uncle said, "Ya, but if you wreck it, you buy it!" Well my dad wasn't much of a drinker or anything like that so he wasn't worried! As it turned out a classmate got all drunk up and wrecked her car. Well the car needed to be pushed off the road so my aunt Sally pulled up to see if her bumper matched up to push it off, well it didn't so my dad thought the Duster's bumper might... While he was driving up behind the car my aunt Sally backed up right into the Duster and dented in the driver's door! Well as it was said, my dad now had to buy the car and replace the door! Well he has had it ever since! :cheers:

Now the car has been handed down to me and I am currently in the process of restoring it! My dad has already stuck $5k into the engine and had it restored; however, the carb needs to be adjusted because there is a serious delay in throttle response (almost dies actually). Outside of that the car is a little raw! My goals for the car is not to make it another jacked up Duster for the drag strip. In fact my goal is to make the car more of a pro-touring GT style car. Some of the major things I am looking at doing long term are: Year One 17inch Rallye wheels (they just look the best), sublime body with black hood and top of the fenders, Hotchkis Suspension, and a Paxton Supercharger for when I want to grand-tour at high rates of speed. :burnout:

I will add pictures soon, bare with me as I don't have them online just yet, because as we know... :worthles:

Welcome to FABO. It's nice to see some young guys on here.

And I'm glad you realize this thread :worthles:

lol

Welcome to FABO, and I'm dying to see this little gem of a car you bringith upon us!! Geof

Like I said, this thread is worthless without pictures and I know this is a cardinal rule on every forum I have ever been a member of (10 years worth) so without further ado as promised I have pics... :D

My dad actually had the car repainted when he worked for a body shop back in his younger days. (As you can tell he was a big Starsky and Hutch fan! :tongue3: )
DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1777.jpg

I am actually quite a bit farther then this now, but here are some work is progress pics of my sanding off all of that old paint. As you can see I needed to sand through about 7 layers of white (that stuff was SO thick), the blue paint, blue paint's primer, green paint, green paint primer, green paint sealer, body filler in a couple places, and possibly 1-2 layers of clear (couldn't really tell when I was doing it. haha):
DSCN1784.jpg

DSCN1787.jpg

DSCN1807.jpg

DSCN1809.jpg

DSCN1808.jpg

My sister's boyfriend (big car nut) inspecting my work! haha
DSCN1812.jpg

And finally the work that was done on the engine:
DSCN1748.jpg

DSCN1749.jpg

DSCN1750.jpg

DSCN1752.jpg

Tell me what you think!! :toothy7:

I think: You kept your word and got pics! You are doing the right thing by getting rid of the S & H stripe! It looks to be be in very good condition, it's a great starting point! It looks really good under the hood! Your dad is probably very proud to know this is happening. And lastly you should start a resto thread over in that section so we can follow along. :thumleft::thumleft: Nice car, good work. Keep it up.

Welcome to FABO! You're going to have fun here.
Nice solid project you've got going with the Duster. Sooooooo glad you got rid of that stripe. I never liked it on the S&H Torino.
Still have the original carb on the 340? Sounds like your problem could be related to secondary air door opening too quickly or an accelerator pump gone bad.

Nice Nova (sorry, I couldn't resist being the first to compliment you incorrectly of many more folks to come I'm sure!).

I love the Dusters, especially the 340 variety! Welcome to FABO!

-
Back