hellwig sway bar

-

1mean7Ddart

Reaction score
am I the only one that's had a problem mount a 73^ A-body hellwig sway bar? can't seem to get the end links on! going to the hardware store an getting longer bolts seems to be my only option.... :-/

pictures? suspension mods? One of their reps is a member on this forum send him a pm. I believe his id is dave@hellwig he seems knowledgable and willing to help from previous posts.

no mods.... bought the bolts and presto

Attachments

• image-2954544476.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 299
  • image-3247065068.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 298
  • image-3839868867.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 293
  • image-809684592.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 293
The end link bolt is in wrong. You need to have the threaded end on the top. The way you have it makes it vulnerable to catching on things, including the pavement.

Not trying to be insulting but is the sway bar on upside down? I have heard nothing but good about the hellwig bars.

The end link bolt is in wrong. You need to have the threaded end on the top. The way you have it makes it vulnerable to catching on things, including the pavement.

With all due respect; From and engineering and safety standpoint, that is incorrect. In his config, if the nut loosens and falls off, the bolt would still be in place. If reversed, If the nut were on top, the bolt would slide down and out. All suspension parts should be bolted top down.

In this case, the excess thread can be cut off, but the offending thread is SO close to the wheel, I would think it would never catch on anything.

Mike

if I cut off the excess it would have been no point in getting a new 1in longer bolt! my problem was getting the thread started.... and no it is not backward its impossible to bolt it up to the k member any other way (tried 3 times I know)!!!

Its seems like something isnt right,like its in a bind? Are you at ride height? Looks like the link ends need to pivot upward more so the legs of the bar are parallel with the ground in your pics. You could shorten your spacers about an inch and use the old bolts lol!

Isnt the bracket supposed to bolt on through the lower shock bolt? That would raise your mounting point up, bringing your sway bar ends up as well.

When in doubt, I defer to what the F A C T O R Y did.
The F A C T O R Y put the bolt in from the bottom. The threaded end points UP. There is plenty of room to install the bolt the factory way. Are you aware that the end links should be installed with the car resting on its tires? This helps the sway bar sit at its best position to install the end link bolts.

-
Back