Help! 5 push button a/c heat control button issues

-

Al Bundy

four touchdowns!
Reaction score
Hi,I have a 70 Swinger with factory A/c,it has the 5 push button control unit. The problem I am having is that all of the buttons are "sticky",they don't push smoothly in or out. In order for me to push in the heat button I have to also slowly pull the "off" button out,and vice versa to shut it off. My question is can this unit be lubricated somehow? I didn't want to use silicone spray,etc. on it until I asked.
Is it better to buy a whole new unit...assuming aftermarket ones are still available at reasonable prices.

The switch block behind the push buttons is available, ebay for example. I would replace it.

The switch block behind the push buttons is available, ebay for example. I would replace it.

Thanks RedFish,do you have the part number? are they only available NOS or are there newer ones that would not have dried out lubricant?

Of course it can be lubricated, you just have to drill it apart where the plastic welds are, take it apart, you can use a dry graphite lubricant, then drill and tap some very small screw holes and and machine screw it back together. Just don't get the order of the slider plates mixed up.

Thanks RedFish,do you have the part number? are they only available NOS or are there newer ones that would not have dried out lubricant?

I dont have a part number. NOS would be expensive. New on ebay are affordable reproductions.

The write up on how to rebiuld is really nice in the AC section, however I found it so much easier to buy NOS on ebay, was only about $30, hopefully some are still available.

-
Back