Help...8 3/4 brake lines to short

-

440DART1970

1970 Dart 446ci Swinger
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the year or what it came out of but I have an 8 3/4 inch rear that measures 52" to the side plates, 43'- center-to-center. Leaf spring centers

when I bought brake lines from summit...they come up an 1.5" short to the brake T.

also another question did all 8 3/4 rears come with 5 on 4 or 5 on 4.5 bbp

20170208_224132.jpg

In A-bodies the 8.75 was always a 5 on 4"
In anything else, it was always a 5 on 4.5
That Y-block has moved around a bit over the years. I had a similar issue with the fit. I just stretched the long side over to fit. But if yours is short on the driver's side,well,basically,you are screwed,lol
I guess you have 3 choices; 1) order a longer line,3) move the block, and 3) fab a new one or a patch.
The passenger side?,I just it stretched over.

Last edited:
You need the lines for a 1970 and later housing!! In 1970, the distribution block was moved from farther up the hump out onto the drivers side axle tube!!

are both short or is just one? I had an issue with mine where the drivers side line was too long

In pic #1, the location is already off to the left towards the drum. The inner location is further up the hump. Am I remembering it wrong?
if the location was further up the hump, his line would be too long and shaped wrong.
If I'm wrong,and the location was out further towards the drum, then this current line would be yet more too short.

Here's some more pictures.. is this the same issues you guys experienced. I guess I can stretch them out and I guess they would look a little ugly to make them work.

What would you do? continue looking for correct line or just make it work?
20170212_102715.jpg
20170212_102707.jpg
20170212_102735.jpg
20170212_102742.jpg

In A-bodies the 8.75 was always a 5 on 4"
In anything else, it was always a 5 on 4.5
That Y-block has moved around a bit over the years. I had a similar issue with the fit. I just stretched the long side over to fit. But if yours is short on the driver's side,well,basically,you are screwed,lol
I guess you have 3 choices; 1) order a longer line,3) move the block, and 3) fab a new one or a patch.
The passenger side?,I just it stretched over.
So my abody rear is supposed to be 5x4. Not 5 x 4.5

Those look like stainless lines. The short side will def stretch easily enough.....the long side I spliced with a section of stainless brake line I had and just re shaped my line to fit. I made my splice on the long section next to the pumpkin. If you didn't know you wouldn't know but you'll need the right fittings and a line flaring tool. If you don't mind waiting and returning what you've got that may be a better option for you. I just happened to have everything I needed on hand.

Factory A-Body 8.75 will be 5 x 4", small bolt pattern. You can buy replacement aftermarket axles for A body 8.75 with 5 x 4.5 " big bolt pattern...Moser, Yukon, etc....
Then I may have after market axels

I put a bolt in the original hole and cut the head off and welded it. Drilled and tapped a new hole in the proper location to fit the line. I was able to reshape the short line (to wheel cylinder) to reach the block. Problem solved

Is your axle an original A body or was it a narrowed axle and the hole is further forward for that reason? If you have 5 x 4.5 pattern that may be the thing that has happened.

Is your axle an original A body or was it a narrowed axle and the hole is further forward for that reason? If you have 5 x 4.5 pattern that may be the thing that has happened.
What's the stock length of an a body axle housing inter flange to flange

It looks like your vent is too far forward. I would put a bolt in it cut off and weld it then drill a new one and tap it so those lines work correct.

It's going to be even shorter when you have the backing plate on there! The wheel cylinder is at the top of the backing plate!!

Here is the location of a 69 and earlier block!! It is not moved inches, but about an inch and 1/2, but I'll bet dollars you have the line set for a 69 and earlier and you need the set for a 70 and later!! You can plug and drill if you want, but I would get the correct line set, and sell those to me!!!

IMG_3303.JPG

Here is a 70 and later location! Disregard the line set on this, it was a hacked in job and they used the old 7 1/4" set!!!

IMG_3305.JPG

I got them from summit so if you pay me what I paid.. they are yours. Thanks for the info. Still waiting on your brother to send me the tracking info on those super stock leaf springs

I got them from summit so if you pay me what I paid.. they are yours. Thanks for the info. Still waiting on your brother to send me the tracking info on those super stock leaf springs

He is on his way to Fedex as we speak!!!

Little bit of stretching stretching a little elbow grease we got it to work!
20170212_233252.jpg
20170212_233301.jpg
20170212_233246.jpg

-
Back