HELP! Any way to remove a scuff from decal

-

Ryan426_

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was moving boxes in my garage and one the boxes fell out my hands and kinda made a small inch long, half inch wide "scuff" mark on my black vinyl decal on my 71' duster
Front fender. Is there any way to "buff" or use a compound to get that mark off??
Thanks for the help.

Boy that's tough, that vinyl isn't going to take much scrubbing.

Try (AT YOUR OWN RISK), a very tiny dab of toothpaste on a soft cloth with light to moderate pressure. I use toothpaste to clean tiny scratches off my glasses, so it "might" work, I dunno. Just don't go into full scrub mode, lol.

Do you have a vinyl bumper sticker or something of the sort to experiment on?

If it does, then you could follow up with a small dab of polish.

if it's matte anything you do might give it shine. If you think it's something that has transferred onto the decal ie left residue, you might try something mild like prep-solve to remove it. if you decide to get into rubbing it I would get a veyfine grit polishing type creme and go slowly with it.

If it is a gloss decal go over it with some wax or a light hand glaze.If is a non gloss you may be screwed.

I use a cleaner called "Cinch" on mine to clean them and keep wax, grease off...the only thing I can think of is lightly claybar..or Meguiars vinyl interior cleaner, use lightly, it is made for vinyl which I believe the stripes are made from. Good luck

That's why I mentioned toothpaste.

Just as long as it's not tarter control lol Wasn't really thinking about the toothpaste when I wrote my post , was thinking about the real fine grit swirl remover type polish that has such a fine grit it's barely noticeable. It's one of the Meguiar's products I use.

Just as long as it's not tarter control lol Wasn't really thinking about the toothpaste when I wrote my post , was thinking about the real fine grit swirl remover type polish that has such a fine grit it's barely noticeable. It's one of the Meguiar's products I use.

Tarter control, lol. Yeah, toothpaste has a very fine grit in it, I use it for several things around the house, and on the cars sometimes.

Minor scratches in my glasses, on a mirror, etc. It takes a bit of work because the grit id so fine, but it doesn't scratch.

I say have few drinks, it will grow on you,the more you drink the better it looksssssssssssss.

Tarter control, lol. Yeah, toothpaste has a very fine grit in it, I use it for several things around the house, and on the cars sometimes.

Minor scratches in my glasses, on a mirror, etc. It takes a bit of work because the grit id so fine, but it doesn't scratch.

I've used the toothpaste mult times, it is a pretty good cutter for small stuff..

Joe

How about just a simple answer "no" it's a decal you can't buff it out.

My Father has removed light scuffs and scratches out of his gloss black Super Bee Stripe with 3M Imperial hand glaze...

Trying to remove a scuff from the vinyl will change its gloss. Even if it is a glossy type the polishing will change it. For a flat no gloss vinyl there is nothing that wont leave behind a change. My bet is you start with a small scuff and end up with a larger more noticeable area.

Find a piece of dog poop and lightly rub it in.
Works every time!
Seriously, try p.m.ing challengergary or AdamR on here to see what they would do.
They are professionals with stripes and detailing........

[QUOTE... Seriously, try p.m.ing challengergary or AdamR on here to see what they would do.
They are professionals with stripes and detailing........[/QUOTE]

This is the correct answer!!!

Of course you could always try wiping it down with lacquer thinner
then buffing it back with your drill and soft pad.

Thanks everyone for all the input sorry havnt gotten back I've been working 60hrs these last couple weeks and I'll mess around with it soon lol. It is matte black so after thinking I probly will just have to live with it. Or replace it ��

-
Back