Help blochy paint

-

JGC403

Reaction score
We are trying to paint my D-150. The truck I had taken down to bare metal about 20 years ago and painted it red. I then changed the color to black a year ago and the paint didn't lay out right it was blotchy in spots and there were some waves and dings in the sheet metal that we had missed. So we block sanded and filled in the dings. We just got done spraying on 2 coats of sealer. Where we had sanded through the previous coats of black and red and down to bare metal and where we put body filler we sparyed a coat of polyester sealer on these areas first then went around the truck and sprayed 2 medium wet coats of sealer per instructions. So on the bare metal and boby filled spots there are 3 coats and everywhere else there are 2 coats of sealer. But the spots are telegraphing through the paint. This is exactly what happened last time and why we are painting it again. Last time we didn't spray the extra coat on the bare metal and body filled areas so we tried it this time. I though the body filler was just soaking up the sealer so that is why we put the extra coat there. I just can't figure out what we are doing wrong.

Its hard for the camera to pick it up but if you look close you can see what I'm talkin about

D150 paint.jpg

Last edited:
How long did you give the filler time to cure? hours minutes or days?? Bet that is the man problem. Polyester "primer" is sorta like spraying body filer also. Not sure about your polyester sealer.
I use epoxy primer over filler after it has had plenty of time to sure/shrink.

Its been at least a week if not more since we were using the body filler.

Body filler is Evercoat.

I was going to use SPI's epoxy primer, but since we used a etching primer under the red 20 years ago and we sanded down to or through the etching primer in some spots, SPI said that that could cause issues.

Last edited:
How long did you give the filler time to cure? hours minutes or days?? Bet that is the man problem. Polyester "primer" is sorta like spraying body filer also. Not sure about your polyester sealer.

Agree with the moisture and epoxy. That will bleed through, especially if you use cheap paint or light color. Are the primers same product line and 2k? The filler will soak some sealer. Most of the time you get the body filler too high under polyester. You sand it off then the primer/sealer won’t cover it. What is the final color? Can the supplier tint you some primer if going back with black?

We are trying to paint my D-150. The truck I had taken down to bare metal about 20 years ago and painted it red. I then changed the color to black a year ago and the paint didn't lay out right it was blotchy in spots and there were some waves and dings in the sheet metal that we had missed. So we block sanded and filled in the dings. We just got done spraying on 2 coats of sealer. Where we had sanded through the previous coats of black and red and down to bare metal and where we put body filler we sparyed a coat of polyester sealer on these areas first then went around the truck and sprayed 2 medium wet coats of sealer per instructions. So on the bare metal and boby filled spots there are 3 coats and everywhere else there are 2 coats of sealer. But the spots are telegraphing through the paint. This is exactly what happened last time and why we are painting it again. Last time we didn't spray the extra coat on the bare metal and body filled areas so we tried it this time. I though the body filler was just soaking up the sealer so that is why we put the extra coat there. I just can't figure out what we are doing wrong.

Its hard for the camera to pick it up but if you look close you can see what I'm talkin about

View attachment 1715544364

Looks like you skipped the Primer Surfacer work that needs to be done first. This is a highly skilled step that straightens your repair area work. Once you have your repairs properly surfaced, then it is time for the Primer Sealer Coat just before you paint.

Thanks for the Help. It been a couple of years since we painted a vehicle so you don't really remember everything. That is why we went into town to our local paint shop. Told him exactly what we were doing and he gave us the sealer said this is what you need. Sprayed the truck and the result was the pictures above. So we weren't sure if we did something wrong or what. So went back to the paint shop and showed him the same pictures he said well you should of put primer down first. Well why didn't you tell us that when we came in the first time; that is why we came to you and told you what we were doing. Anyways Scuffed up the sealer sprayed the primer and sanded again. I don't see anything telegrahing thru. So hopefully we will be OK. Its not a show truck, just want a half decent paint job, looked terrible with the bloches in the paint.

Thanks for the Help. It been a couple of years since we painted a vehicle so you don't really remember everything. That is why we went into town to our local paint shop. Told him exactly what we were doing and he gave us the sealer said this is what you need. Sprayed the truck and the result was the pictures above. So we weren't sure if we did something wrong or what. So went back to the paint shop and showed him the same pictures he said well you should of put primer down first. Well why didn't you tell us that when we came in the first time; that is why we came to you and told you what we were doing. Anyways Scuffed up the sealer sprayed the primer and sanded again. I don't see anything telegrahing thru. So hopefully we will be OK. Its not a show truck, just want a half decent paint job, looked terrible with the bloches in the paint.
I can't believe how much bad advice is given here. I've done paint and bodywork for forty five years and the advice here is horrendous.
First off, if you are using urathane stick with it.

All filler is porous so you must fill it with primer.

Then you can block the primer and seal and paint!

Now you know

Sealer well only seal the piss poor bodywork you have done.

I don't know how I missed the no primer. I thought that was a given. It must have been pass my bedtime. Post up some pictures when you get it done. Sounds like you got it now. I'm sure you will have some satisfaction knowing you did it yourself.

I admit I should have said I spray epoxy primer over filer then high fill sanding urethane primer block seal, then topcoat!! Like said the filer absorbs. After said and done, if I am ready to topcoat coat, if you see or fell anything it will affect the outcome.

-
Back