Help!! BUILDING A 426 WEDGE

-

superdart426

Banned
Reaction score
PLEASE,what are the best factory heads to use and i need a crank will a440 crank work?? this motor is a RB correct,and where can i find some .030-.040 pistons,,thanks in advance for any help given,,sd340:burnout:

Back in the day, I had my wedge bored .070" over and used std 440 pistons. Despite people telling me the walls would be too thin, I'll overheat, the machinist said there's plenty of metal there, you won't overheat. He was right. Dropped it in a '67 Barracuda, man, that thing ran like stink!!

the 67 915 heads are the best (not counting the max wedge)they are close chamber. they came in two versions HP with a 1,74 exh valve or standard with a 1.60 valve, ports are identical and flow the same as the 906, nice for setting up a quench motor,

the 67 915 heads are the best (not counting the max wedge)they are close chamber. they came in two versions HP with a 1,74 exh valve or standard with a 1.60 valve, ports are identical and flow the same as the 906, nice for setting up a quench motor,
do u have a full casting # for the hp 915?? and a casting # for max wedge heads?? thanks sd340 quench motor??

The best head is really dependent on what pistons you buy. Closed chamber would be the 915s, open chamber would be 452s or 346s (906 are popular, but the two I mentioned have factory hardened exhaust seats).

I'm pretty newb when it comes to mopars. With that said, I dont think you'll find any stock max wedge heads for a reasonable price. Aluminum max wedge heads would prolly be cheaper. I'd surf summitracing for pistons......seems like there is lots of different piston weights available too.

PLEASE,what are the best factory heads to use and i need a crank will a440 crank work?? this motor is a RB correct,and where can i find some .030-.040 pistons,,thanks in advance for any help given,,sd340:burnout:

I have some intake 426 wedge gaskets. Let me know if you need them.

2780915 is the entire casting number for the 915 heads. The 2406516 is also a closed chamber head. This was used on 361's and 383's up until '67. It's intake port is not as good as the 915 but with a little work they can make decent power for a street/strip combo.

Ted

yes,440 crank will work! 915 or the early "J" heads also! Might want to check out famous bob.. I`ve sold heads & blocks,but i always have them checked for defects first!! (don`t want to sell any junk) it helps the seller if he shows receipt that this work has been done.. Ask questions..(.has the crank been turned? Have the heads been shaved?)

-
Back