Help! Buying My First Project Car

-

MonkeyTrev

Reaction score
I am in talks with a man in Texas that is interested in selling his 1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S. He wants me to make an offer on the car, but this is my first car purchase/negotiation and I am a bit concerned with how the legal side of things work.
So, the owner says the car belongs to his sister who lives in Portland, but he is located in Texas. He is attempting to locate the title for the car, but has not found the title yet.

I am concerned about the title being in his sisters name and her not being there to sign the title if he does find it. Do I have to have the title signed?

If the owner can not find the title what do I need to make sure I get from the seller before and after making an offer and acquiring the car?

Since I will be moving the car from Texas to Oklahoma, will this affect the title swap or filing for a lost title ?

All information or tips is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
65 formula S.JPG

The owner should be able to file for a replacement title in Texas before the sale then it can be signed over to you. Is the car in Portland Texas, near the coast?

The owner should be able to file for a replacement title in Texas before the sale then it can be signed over to you. Is the car in Portland Texas, near the coast?
The seller says its in his backyard in Lindsay, TX. I will talk to seller about getting a replacement title in his name.

Congrats on your first purchase of old iron.... Opinions vary and this is mine....

That car is worth parts until there is a Title ready to be signed over free and clear. I have seen it go bad and just recently a co-worker purchased a car that came from a real estate liquidation after a death and I warned him not to put a dime into it until he got a clean title. Well, he didn't listen and spent some money on it only to never get the title and gave up on the project and was out his investment.

JW

If the car "belongs" to his sister. I'd be negotiating with her to start. There is no absolute answer here for you. Each state has different requirements. Heck some states don't even worry about titles after the car is X number of years old. In some states the car can be stored for a period or worked on and then a mechanic's lien can be put in place and the vehicle transferred basically as abandoned. The hopeful way to handle it would be to get the sister to file for a lost title, sell you the car and sign said title over to you. Good luck.

Just as a last word of caution. You are more likely to get bit than have an easy outcome.

The seller says its in his backyard in Lindsay, TX. I will talk to seller about getting a replacement title in his name.
Oh OK, I live about 20 miles from Portland, Texas...that's why I asked. Only the sister can ask for a replacement title unless she gives the brother "power of attorney" so that he can file on her behalf. At least that's how I think it would work, then she would have to sign the title over to you. You can buy the car with a bill of sale if a bill of sale is acceptable in Oklahoma but I believe the sister would have to sign the bill of sale? The sister can dispute the sale if/when you try an get a title in OK if she wasn't in on the sale.
Unless you've seen the car in person I wouldn't pay too much. There's no way to know how badly rusted the frame rails might be or how badly rusted the inner panels might be. I know it's tempting but stay sharp and don't get ripped off!!

Last edited:
I just heard from the seller today. He says that the title has been located and it is in his sisters name, but she signed the title front and back.
Does this sounds good ?

Oh OK, I live about 20 miles from Portland, Texas...that's why I asked. Only the sister can ask for a replacement title unless she gives the brother "power of attorney" so that he can file on her behalf. At least that's how I think it would work, then she would have to sign the title over to you. You can buy the car with a bill of sale if a bill of sale is acceptable in Oklahoma but I believe the sister would have to sign the bill of sale? The sister can dispute the sale if/when you try an get a title in OK if she wasn't in on the sale.
Unless you've seen the car in person I wouldn't pay too much. There's no way to know how badly rusted the frame rails might be or how badly rusted the inner panels might be. I know it's tempting but stay sharp and don't get ripped off!!
The seller says he has the title and it’s in his sisters name, but she has signed the front and back of the title. If I have the signed title do I still need bill of sale or any other form of documentation from the owner ?

It wouldn't hurt for you to get a bill of sale. I always do here in Texas when I buy a used car. Include the VIN, make and model and amount you paid for the car on the BOS. Get someone to sign the BOS to acknowledge that they did receive the money. I usually make two copies with my and the other person's signature so that we each have proof of the transaction. If she signed the title you should be good to go, at least that's how it works in Texas, we have to have a signed title by the owner (don't know how it works in OK???). Good luck, hope you got a good deal!!

It wouldn't hurt for you to get a bill of sale. I always do here in Texas when I buy a used car. Include the VIN, make and model and amount you paid for the car on the BOS. Get someone to sign the BOS to acknowledge that they did receive the money. I usually make two copies with my and the other person's signature so that we each have proof of the transaction. If she signed the title you should be good to go, at least that's how it works in Texas, we have to have a signed title by the owner (don't know how it works in OK???). Good luck, hope you got a good deal!!
I appreciate the info. I’m gonna try my best to get a good deal!

One more thing.......if you can take the title to a local court house near where you buy the car (in Texas), you can do 2 things. You can find out right away if there's a problem before you drag the car home AND you can have the state of Texas get you a title in you name. If you do this make sure you have them send the new title to your Ok address. This would guarantee that you could get an OK title in your name as all states recognize a Texas title as valid and legal!!

Also. and I know a lot of people ignore it. But most state have title transfer deadline dates. Some states even make it a misdemeanor crime believe it or not. You can get arrested and taken to jail. Normally it's just a citation. But then when you fail to take care of the ticket. A warrant get issued and then its off to jail. I looked your state (OK) up and here is a excerpt.

The legislation also increased fees for new or used vehicles that aren't titled and registered within 30 days from the date of transfer of ownership. The penalties rose from 25 cents to $1 per day for every day late, with a maximum fine of $100

Also. and I know a lot of people ignore it. But most state have title transfer deadline dates. Some states even make it a misdemeanor crime believe it or not. You can get arrested and taken to jail. Normally it's just a citation. But then when you fail to take care of the ticket. A warrant get issued and then its off to jail. I looked your state (OK) up and here is a excerpt.

The legislation also increased fees for new or used vehicles that aren't titled and registered within 30 days from the date of transfer of ownership. The penalties rose from 25 cents to $1 per day for every day late, with a maximum fine of $100
I appreciate the information on the fees. I better not wait too long to get it transferred over to me.

I just heard from the seller today. He says that the title has been located and it is in his sisters name, but she signed the title front and back.
Does this sounds good ?
I would check with your DMV in Oklahoma and ask what paperwork they require.
I like the idea of getting a Texas title in your name before you leave the state with the car.

Be that as it may, things may be different today

Case and point
I picked up a title to a truck on Sunday

I went online to make an appointment with the SOS to transfer said title into my name, since they do not service walk up costumers during this scamdemic

The earliest date I could get in there was in August...3 full months after I got the title

I can guarantee you I will not be liable for not acting fast enough in transferring this title, if they can't see me

-
Back