Help choosing a carb

-

-Boosted-

Hard Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding which carb to go with on my build so what I am looking for are opinions on what I should get and why.

The original plan was to run one of the new 850cfm Edelbrock VRS-4150 Race carbs but they are still in the testing phase and not released. I think an 850 is the right size and I am looking at Quick Fuel, Holley HP and Demon to name a few as well as all the different options and configurations within those brands. Please be specific. Don't just say "850cfm Holley" or "go with a 850cfm 4150". Tell me which model, annular or downleg, billet or non-billet....etc

Combo:
408 forged stroker with flat top pistons
12.2-12.5 CR
Trick Flow heads
660/660 258/264 108 LCA solid roller cam
Harland Sharp 1.5 ratio rockers
Victor 340 intake
MSD ignition
Hedman Huster race headers with 1 7/8 primaries
built 727 with 5400 stall 8" PTC converter
4.10 gears
28" drag radials
Caltracs with split Mono Leaf springs

Shift point 6800-7000 rpms and about 6500-6700 through the traps.
Car will weigh aprox 3300 lbs.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Picture for reference....
edl-1306_xl.jpg

I am having a hard time deciding which carb to go with on my build so what I am looking for are opinions on what I should get and why.

The original plan was to run one of the new 850cfm Edelbrock VRS-4150 Race carbs but they are still in the testing phase and not released. I think an 850 is the right size and I am looking at Quick Fuel, Holley HP and Demon to name a few as well as all the different options and configurations within those brands. Please be specific. Don't just say "850cfm Holley" or "go with a 850cfm 4150". Tell me which model, annular or downleg, billet or non-billet....etc

Combo:
408 forged stroker with flat top pistons
12.2-12.5 CR
Trick Flow heads
660/660 258/264 108 LCA solid roller cam
Harland Sharp 1.5 ratio rockers
Victor 340 intake
MSD ignition
Hedman Huster race headers with 1 7/8 primaries
built 727 with 5400 stall 8" PTC converter
4.10 gears
28" drag radials
Caltracs with split Mono Leaf springs

Shift point 6800-7000 rpms and about 6500-6700 through the traps.
Car will weigh aprox 3300 lbs.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Picture for reference....
View attachment 1716093402

You need a Dominator. It looks like you spent some money and time on your combination. Now is not the time to skimp.

All the carbs you mentioned above take a TON of work to unscrew. They are far from bolt on.

I would call some non Holley companies and talk to them and spend my money on a custom carb. The initial expense is higher but by the time you fix the junk and waste the time (and money) it takes to fix them you are better off buying a custom carb.

In no particular order:

Baldwin Carburetors (William Baldwin)
Lightning Racing carbs (Mark Whitener)
Thumper Carbs (Dominic)
BLP

You need a Dominator. It looks like you spent some money and time on your combination. Now is not the time to skimp.

All the carbs you mentioned above take a TON of work to unscrew. They are far from bolt on.

I would call some non Holley companies and talk to them and spend my money on a custom carb. The initial expense is higher but by the time you fix the junk and waste the time (and money) it takes to fix them you are better off buying a custom carb.

In no particular order:

Thumper Carbs (Dominic)
BLP
I was just talking to an old friend last night and he mentioned the custom carb route as well. Here’s what he got a while back….
20FF9D32-4814-4680-B92E-0D07B6214545.jpeg

46FEFC8C-861A-4A53-ACCE-4955656AA08B.jpeg

57017461-91D4-421C-9F7F-21D69D5D2E25.jpeg

Any other ideas or suggestions? I've got calls into a few builders and no responses yet. Kinda want to have a carb soon (in 2 weeks).

In no particular order:

Thumper Carbs (Dominic)
BLP
I would add Pro Systems to the list. I don't remember the name of the guy to talk to, sorry.

I have had good luck with my Thumper Carb. Known Dominic for years and he has always been solid. The added expense of a custom carb will be much less than if you customize it yourself with internet knowledge. I have done several myself and it is time consuming to drill bleeds, tap the tiny holes etc.

In addition, Thumper carbs use BLP parts which are 1000x higher quality than the QF/Proform or Holley HP offerings.

20230423_081832.jpg

What’s the intended application of the car? Street driven at all or just race? If street driven something like a Holley hp950 would get my vote. Will give up a (very) little to a dominator hp wise but will drive better. If race only follow above advice.

Whatever you end up with, make sure all the brass is changeable, and get some extra tuning stuff for it, jets, bleeds, etc. Even custom built stuff needs to be dialed in once on the engine.

I have had good luck with my Thumper Carb. Known Dominic for years and he has always been solid. The added expense of a custom carb will be much less than if you customize it yourself with internet knowledge. I have done several myself and it is time consuming to drill bleeds, tap the tiny holes etc.

In addition, Thumper carbs use BLP parts which are 1000x higher quality than the QF/Proform or Holley HP offerings.

View attachment 1716093506
Let's see more of that sweet Dart! I agree Dominic was, and is super to deal with! Car makes crazy power with his carb.

What’s the intended application of the car? Street driven at all or just race? If street driven something like a Holley hp950 would get my vote. Will give up a (very) little to a dominator hp wise but will drive better. If race only follow above advice.
Track only street legal race car. Only time it will be driven on the street is if I have to.

I like the adjustable idle bypass air and the completely tunable metering blocks as well as complete air bleed adjustment on the hp series. The “ultra” is just aluminum main body and a billet baseplate. Which is lighter. Tuning can quickly get in the weeds but if you learn what each circuit does and maybe spend a little time on a dyno, it’s not terribly difficult to understand and you can get a good baseline.

I like the Hp over the ultra because it has smaller venturis.
think with a production style head car will ET better with the regular HP
just my 2cents which are probably worth squat

I like the Hp over the ultra because it has smaller venturis.
think with a production style head car will ET better with the regular HP
just my 2cents which are probably worth squat
2cents is always worth at least 2cents. Thanks for sharing your opinion. :thumbsup:

Bill

My 408 was very similar to yours, mine had about a point and half less compression though. It went 6.57 @ 104 at 3240# on pump 93 with a 950HP.

I have a Thumper built 1050ish 4150 on my 434 and have no complaints. What you get with Dom is a carb that is tuned very close right out of the box, it'll also come with extra bleeds and jets to richen or lean it out if needed. The best thing is his customer service, he will spend whatever time needed on the phone helping if you have an issue. As mentioned, he uses all BLP parts, BLP is top notch.

My 408 was very similar to yours, mine had about a point and half less compression though. It went 6.57 @ 104 at 3240# on pump 93 with a 950HP.

I have a Thumper built 1050ish 4150 on my 434 and have no complaints. What you get with Dom is a carb that is tuned very close right out of the box, it'll also come with extra bleeds and jets to richen or lean it out if needed. The best thing is his customer service, he will spend whatever time needed on the phone helping if you have an issue. As mentioned, he uses all BLP parts, BLP is top notch.

that was a great running combo

-
Back