Help finding clearance!!!!

-

Mopar**family

Reaction score
I have a 73 dart that was a slant originally, I swapped k member to a small block and am attempting to drop a 78 360 in her. I got her in today just to check clearance and I don’t see how any headers are going to fit in and clear the steering box. It’s power steering. I will attach pictures. Any and all knowledge will be greatly appreciated

7137ED36-376D-4658-9A27-F15BA1E1175B.jpeg

25D3C5A3-874E-45E8-81BE-88DDECB62A41.jpeg

021C7303-8068-4E69-9C6E-DC0F19D60595.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken the front tube runs up and over the others

@dadsbee

OP is talking about headers with PS.

Now I can not find a photo of what I was thinking they looked like

This is what I was thinking of but looks like it was BB headers.

Screenshot_20211205-205947.png

Last edited:
I had 70 swinger with p/s and headers, the #1 tube went up and over the rest and actually come apart at the downturn so it was easier to get to the bolts on the rest.

If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to swap the slant 6 pressure hose for a V8 one, I believe they are different.
What pump do you have?

Instead of asking random people what headers will fit, you should contact the people who sell/make the headers for fitment info. That is what they do.
That car had a 318 as an option. Same header as a 360/340.

TTI or Dougs headers

here’s TTI in my power steering car with a 73-76 V-8 k-frame.

the power steering brackets sit way in front of headers. I used the 70-76 power steering hose that went for my Saginaw pump and 70-76 aluminum water pump style pump brackets

6514695-2_25_11Sm21.jpg

upload_2021-12-6_0-33-25.jpeg

upload_2021-12-6_0-34-24.jpeg

Last edited:
Or you could buy the driver's 340 manifold ($200) and a 96/97/98 Jeep Grand Cherokee passenger's manifold ($40). No clearance problems at all. You'd only lose maybe 10 HP but you wouldn't have to worry about header leaks or speed bumps or the high cost??

Compare the PS pressure line in missing linc's post #12 to the one in OP's original picture- that illustrates what I mean by needing a different (V8) hose. The hardline section needs to bend to the outside of the steering box and has a flatter run (instead of an upward "sweep") as it goes to the PS pump, giving you header clearance.

My Doug's cleared everything PS wise except the Steering coupler. You couldn't turn the shaft without it hitting the back tube. Had to go to a universal joint and just did a Flaming River tilt at the same time. I didn't want shim the engine, dent and/or pull (i.e. bias it away with a come along) the the header as all of these either look like hell, damage the header or cause other issues.

the old cheap Hedmans the steering linkage ran through them. Kind of like them Hookers...passenger side bottoms out over bumps etc.

Last edited:
Check out Schumacher Tri-Y headers. Put them on my 73 Sport with a 340. Had to do some dinging but they fit.

Check out Schumacher Tri-Y headers. Put them on my 73 Sport with a 340. Had to do some dinging but they fit.

TTI has an excellent quality shorty header too. And they sell the headpipes that connect to them too. That can save you money going to a muffler shop for custom headpipes.

the stock hipo exhaust manifold come close and snake around stuff too.

the old cheap Hedmans the steering linkage ran through them. Kind of like them Hookers...passenger side bottoms out over bumps etc.
Yes but ground clearance sucks.
I was thinning about Dougs or TTI. Or a just put on my ported 340 manifolds on.
Here is my Super Comps

Sig1.jpg

-
Back