Help How do you repair the heater controller plastic stubs?

-

Mike69barracuda

Reaction score
Any suggestions. My 69 Barracuda, non air heat and defroster controller has broken plastic tips. Therefore the cables can't do their job. Any help, pictures or tips would be appreciated. The pics I have posted is for conversation about how to fix the problem. This is not my actual controller, mine is still in the car. I found these online to help identify the broken studs and how to repair broken ones.

heater 2.jpg

heater 1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with them.. You need new cables that have the loop made on them. See my build thread. Just did my heater box and controls. Someone cut your control cables.

I don't see anything wrong with them.. You need new cables that have the loop made on them. See my build thread. Just did my heater box and controls.
Thanks..........These are good ones I found online to show the plastic tabs for discussion.

My mechanic told me that my 69 barracuda vert, non air controller plastic studs are broken.

I can recall kludging up some kind of fix. But that was 25 years ago, and I haven't looked at it since. So all I can say is, it's doable. In the picture above, it doesn't look like the plastic broke -- it looks like the cable end broke. On mine it was the plastic stud part of the circular slider. I think I drilled and tapped it for a small screw.

If you need a replacement assembly, I have one if you pay to ship!

Go to a hardware store and get a couple of full thread 10-32 brass screws and nyloc nuts. Remove all of the original broken stems from plastic disc portion. Drill and tap that disc to 10-32. It will have hardly 1.5 threads in it but that and super glue does work. Cut screw head off and install nyloc nuts.
PLEASE NOTE; the plastic stems didn't break for no reason. There has to be a issue with plenum door movement. The brass screws are not points of failure so instead the cables will wad up. Fix the fault.

I'm interested if it is in good working condition for my 69 Barracuda non air. Does the fan switch work and are the plastic pins good. Send me a PM on total cost for the heater controller.

I'm interested if it is in good working condition for my 69 Barracuda non air. Does the fan switch work and are the plastic pins good. Send me a PM on total cost for the heater controller.
Did you get this fixed yet? See my post on how I did my fix using 3/16" x 3/4" clevis pins, washers and cotter pins I bought at Home Depot.

-
Back