Help!!!!! How To Separate Buckets Seat Tracks

-

blewbyoutobad

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am restoring a set of 68/69 buckets seats. The tracks are rusted and I want to separate them to blast and paint. Anyone know how to do this. The front slider bearing hots teh pressed in stud. Does it need to come out?
Thanks FABO

Attachments

• photo 4f.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 633
  • photo 2f (2).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 604
I've done this a few times and with several different assembly. All were a long time ago. What I can remember is using a small hook to hold the roller cage at one end position while moving the track to the other end of travel.

I also remember drilling a hole through one piece of assembly to access a bump in the other piece. I needed to hammer that bump down a little so the rollers would travel past it. All rollers came out one end. Maybe that was so I didn't need to remove both studs on these type tracks.
No promise that any of the above applies to these particular tracks. Good luck

I am restoring a set of 68/69 buckets seats. The tracks are rusted and I want to separate them to blast and paint. Anyone know how to do this. The front slider bearing hots teh pressed in stud. Does it need to come out?
Thanks FABO

Just curious how you made out?

Well I did get them separated but the trick is one of the rivets that holds the seat sliding track to the base frame has to be cut off. Once it is removed the track slides off. To re-assemble I will use a bolt.

I did a set from a B body that way. Drill out one of the rivets to disassemble. Be very careful not to damage the nylon cage that captures the rollers as they are not available anywhere unless you cannibalize another track. Then use a small bolt and nut to replace the rivet. The rivets not only hold the track halves together but they also act as the stops for the rollers and tracks.

It looks like I need to find another track then...great. One of the rollers and cage is missing from one of mine. Finding someone to separate one track is going to be next to impossible.

It looks like I need to find another track then...great. One of the rollers and cage is missing from one of mine. Finding someone to separate one track is going to be next to impossible.

You can buy a set of inexpensive tracks from a bench seat car the same or similar year to yours & rob the rollers, cage, & parts you need to fix yours...

The nylon cages are junk. Even those the left front one in most bench seat tracks are broken.
Guess what ? The earlier metal roller cages fit the same track form.
I've got either type here. PM me your needs.

My 69 cuda tracks are metal rollers and cage. I wound up drilling one rivet out on the end. But just the back of the rivet so when I was done I just hammered the rivet back in and dropped a weld on the back side of the rivet! I have a track here ill see if its close to what you have > I don't need it it looks like a bench seat track? Here is a picture of the revit I re-wielded back in on the right. The one on the left is what It looked like before I drilled the back off!. You only need to remove one . IT was a PITA to put back together. I recommend taking pictures before you take it apart. And the cage has to go back in the same way it came out. So do only one track at a time to look back.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 425
I just took the track apart and that cage is also metal but different then mine. if you can post a picture of what you need someone on here will help find you one....

I started cleaning them up this past summer. When I saw the broken track I just set them aside and went on to something else. I'll try and post a picture of the broken one soon.

We just send them out to be chemically stripped.

I finally decided to get working on the seat tracks again. I drilled out one rivet yesterday and got the track apart. Here is a picture of the cage that was in the track. The little ball bearings fell out. The cage was bent. I straightened it out a little and put the bearings back in. I think this one should be OK. I need another to get this track back together.

You just pull the small carriage bolt at the front of the track. The one that bolts it to the seat. Once it's out (it's a pain) the rollers will slide right out. Once the metal cages, rollers are out the tracks will literally just fall apart.

-
Back