HELP I got a mess

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am working on my sons 73 Dart Sport. He dragged this out of a field that has been sitting who know how long. Had a 318 in it that someone stripped parts off of it. No problem. Have 2 340's in the garage to put in it someday. He goes to a show with me and after I received a nice trophy, he decides he wants to get it on the road pronto. I found a 360/904 combo and freshened it up with rings and bearings and a few other things and drop in it. I am doing the wiring in the engine bay. I have too mush wires. I have 2 voltage regulator plug ins and I already have one on the regulator. I have the alternator wired in and I have an extra set for it. I have extra terminals wired in there that hooks to nothing. Do you think someone has made aa mess of this or is this how a Dart Sport is. I thought my 76 Duster was bad but this is a night mare. what would you suggest. Maybe a wiring party and invite everyone on FABO.look at these pics and see what you come up with. Start pulling and start from the beginning maybe..........and please, no comments like " I would take it back to the field". I already know this. But this is my kid and what can you do.

Attachments

• DSC03425 (Copy).JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC03426 (Copy).JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC03427 (Copy).JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC03428 (Copy).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 257
  • DSC03429 (Copy).JPG
    113 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC03430 (Copy).JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 251
thats pretty scary. i would get you a new engine harness and forward light harness. there is a guy parting a dart sport on here right now. personally, i wouldnt trust any of that wiring. my $0.02

I imagine that the motor was already out before you started?? you really do have a mess there, do you have a wire diagram?? not sure where I would start with that. hopefully someone else with more knowledge than me will chime in, good luck.

Maybe it would be easier to disconnect everything from the bulkhead connector, lay it out on the ground and trace things out. Should be able to get rid of the extra stuff and add what's missing. Here's a diagram: [ame]http://70duster440.com/EngineCompart70.PDF[/ame]. There are only a couple of main branches of wiring with smaller branches coming off it.

It isn't as confusing as it first appears. Nothing like working on a circuit board, for example. The top harness is just to the wiper motor, so pretty easy. One connector is the front lights, plus a few other things they slipped in (wiper pump or such).

The last connector is the engine harness. The reason you have 2 Vreg connectors might be that it was originally a slant car that was rewired for V-8 and they left the original Vreg connector in. If so, all wires might be in parallel to both.

I would consider it an opportune time to totally upgrade, adding relays for the headlights, fixing the charging current issues (read up), and maybe modernizing. Me and a few others installed a relay/fuse box from a modern car to replace the hodgepodge of relays on the firewall (starter, horn, ...) and added more (lights, fan). See posts by me and 67Dart273 to start, if interested. Look at doing the HEI conversion at the same time.

I think I am going to get in touch with BadSport and see if he has the wiring and start from scratch. this scares me to look at it. I put this 360 in there and thought this car was untouched as far as wiring goes till I found 2 circuits for the alternator. thanks. I may need more help as I go. Is the wiring on a 73 Dart Sport the same as the 74 and 75.

I had a bunch of bulk wire left over from projects and decided to clean up my "65 harness from the fried bulkhead connector to the various wire nutted plugs. Took it all out as a harness and pulled all the tape off and started repacing 1 wire at at tiome with soldered connections to the various plug ends and shrink wrap. Took me about 3 hours but learned a lot and really cleaned up the harness with new wrap. I also wired in the Mallory ignition and upgraded electronic distributor so it took a little longer than just a rewire. Its EZ, just take your time and label everything and get a diagram. Don't skimp on called out wire guages though.

I think I am going to get in touch with BadSport and see if he has the wiring and start from scratch. this scares me to look at it. I put this 360 in there and thought this car was untouched as far as wiring goes till I found 2 circuits for the alternator. thanks. I may need more help as I go. Is the wiring on a 73 Dart Sport the same as the 74 and 75.

i think thats a good idea. even if you did get every wire in its spot, it looks like the wires may be broken/cracked/frayed. as far as i know, the wiring would be all the same for 73-76 minus the seatbelt interlock and maybe the ac connector. they are all electronic ignition.

I have untaped all of it and I just contacted sorewrist. he said he has a 73 Dart Sport for parts. Maybe he has the 3 wiring harnesses from the bulkhead. I will start there. I have a diagram here. but I dont have a diagram for 3 sets of regulators and 2 alternators. maybe who ever had this car before was running some kind of pimpmobile or something. It does have the fold down rear seat in it. maybe a good sound system and needed all that. dont know.

the one I have I think is from my mopar. It is for the 73 Dart. It is pretty good. It shows all the wiring in detail. I had my wife blow it up so I can see it real good. It is about 2 foot x 2 foot.

Maybe it would be easier to disconnect everything from the bulkhead connector, lay it out on the ground and trace things out. Should be able to get rid of the extra stuff and add what's missing. Here's a diagram: http://70duster440.com/EngineCompart70.PDF. There are only a couple of main branches of wiring with smaller branches coming off it.
this would the route i would go.....

thanks Badsport, I just PM that guy and see what he has. I would like to get another set of harnesses that has not been messed with. see what he has and the other guy.

thanks Badsport, I just PM that guy and see what he has. I would like to get another set of harnesses that has not been messed with. see what he has and the other guy.

Yeah if you can get everything from the bulkhead I think you would be in better shape. If you need any pics let me know. I really think you have more than what you need there from the looks of it.

All you guys are over complicating this.
Just put two engines in it.

Sorry, I had to.

All you guys are over complicating this.
Just put two engines in it.

Sorry, I had to.

Would that be a "U 8"?

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Bagheera/Gallery2/Med/U8_eng.html

U8_eng.jpg

Or one up front and one in the trunk??

LOL

-
Back