Help Identify Early 318 Single Plane Intake

-
Thanks everyone for answering my questions, and coming up with the answers I was looking for.

Enjoyed learing more history of these parts and even some racing aspects they were used for. Looks like there are still a lot of these single plane 2 bbl intake manifolds on the road yet today.

Actually like the low profile balanced look of them, makes a nice looking engine bay component.

Thanks Again !!

There are the 4 bbl adapter kits available for them too that work pretty good for a basic setup.

Giving the 318s more fuel that they need and the added performance benefits of the secondaries to play with too.

The 1406 Edelbrock electric choke 4 bbl carbs are a nice bolt on carb for these. Nice running and good starting without a bunch of rejetting to do.

Nice part don't have to pull the intake or change out the cam and lifters on existing engines in the cars.

Enjoy . . .

20200620_151545.jpg

1972 318. They used the single plane 1970-72. I’ve had a few of them. Kim

Right on with the years there, from everthing I was able to come up with that is the one that I have also.

I guess they were used on lots of vehicles of that era. Thanks

My 71 dart w/318 had one.
Nothing special and yes they went single plane/open plenum and they would keep up with any run of the mill 350 from the same yrs and later. My 74 dart also had one, it kept up with my buddies 69 Malibu 350.

They're no race part, if they were used for racing ...great...but calling them a race part is like calling the edelbrock performer a TransAm intake.
All the runners are the same ugly not quite a rectangle little caverns. They weigh a ton, and putting a 4 barrel on it is funny because he mounting flange isn't as big as the 4 barrels put together...so it's like a restricter plate on the street...no jet change is accurate due to that.
The performance snap comes from the smaller primaries of the 4 barrel. Ultimately it flows the same peak flow.
You could put a 4 barrel manifold on and not change the cam and it would make more power and run just fine due to the same thing the current benefits from....smaller higher velocity venturis/ primaries.

I had one on a 318 it was in a 69 truck, it was a wierd engine, front sump, steel crank engine.
Ran it for years, sold it to a guy who had a twin engine boat.
He said it was an exact match to the engine in his boat.

-
Back