help identifying slant 6

-

70mopardad

Reaction score
i just got a engine for my signet and would like to know what year it is and stuff, i found numbers on it and i think it may have been a replacement longblock at one time. there is the standard 2806830-1 on it and there are other numbers on it also. on the front of the block under the head there is a 64701C and on the pass rear pad there is 2R151921
am i looking at the right places? anyone know what it is? thanks

Also, my engine does not have a bolt in the front to hold the balancer on,
it looks like there are threads in there ,
does it need one? next Q does anyone have one? i will need one if it does before i drop it in the signet. thanks . this forum is awesome.

Some info I saved from a web page below. The years appear sketchy for slants.

The main identifier is said to be the one on the passenger's side top of the block, behind the alternator bracket. All I see there on the slant in my 64 Valiant is "V 22 8 14", but perhaps the paint hides more. My casting# of "2463430-8" decodes to a 1966 225.

Your casting# appears to be later than 1966 and a 225.

A few other scraps: Early slants had 3 core plugs (driver's side), with the middle one higher. Later ones had 5 core plugs in a row, like a 1974 I have. Those blocks are said to be stronger. "RG" blocks (225 cu in) are identified by a longer heater hose between block and head (behind thermostat). Even then, it is hard to get a new one on, so I used silicone hose. Later engines did not have the removable aluminum tubes for the spark plugs. That was integral to the head. Early heads are termed "drool tubes" by swags, but an advantage is that one can remove the lifters without pulling the head, and the tubes are another thing slants share with hemi engines.

G/RG SLANT-6 BLOCKS
CASTING # C.I.D. YEAR GROUP
2202843 170 G
2205630 170 G
2264478 170 G
2463230 170 1965 G
--- 198 G
2202857 225 RG
2205528 225 RG
2463430 225 1966 RG
2806830 225 RG

My '69 /6 didn't have the bolt in it either,but the crank is cut for one so I tapped the hole for one !!

more info on my engine it has 5 frost plugs on the drivers side and also has a 2211 cast in it and big letters BF behind that.anyone have a crankshaft balancer bolt and washer?

Very few slants came with the crank bolt. They all had the threads in the crank. The bolt is not neccessary (damper is press fit), but if you feel more comfortable go ahead and install one.

the reason i am asking is this they had washers between the water pump and the pulley to space it ,thinking the balancer may not be all the way in? any ideas? thanks

My 64 slant doesn't have a bolt. The 74 does because I recall using it to turn the engine over.

Usually "all the way" is until the inner edge of the crank pulley is flush with the end of the crankshaft, since the press or pulley & bolt the factory used would have bottomed out there. It couldn't have very many washers or the pulley center wouldn't fit over the locating snout of the water pump. With V-belts, you only need pulleys within 1/8" of perfect alignment, much more forgiving than multi-V serpentine belts which like to walk off the pulleys. Not sure why people pay $$$ for after-market serpentine setups.

-
Back