Help Info Crankshaft

-

demons408ci

Demons408Ci
Reaction score
LOOKING TO MAKE A 415 STROKER NEED INFO IN CRANKSHAFT
1. WILL A MAGNUM 4.00 CRANK FIT IN A OILDER BLOCK.
2. OR WILL A 340 4.00 FIT IN A 360 BLOCK.
IN THE BOOK IT LEST LIKE THIS {360 MAIN SMALL BLOCK, 5.9L TRUCK
MAGNUM/JEEP ENGININES} IN THE MOPAR PERFORMANCE BOOK.

THX :help: ;)

The difference is the diameter of the main journals. The 273, 328, and 340 blocks have a 2.5" diameter main. The 360 blocks have a 2.81" diameter main. So no, you can't run a 340 crank in a 360 block. You can use a 360 crank in a 340 block, but you would have to turn the mains down to 2.5". If you are buying a new crank, just get the right size to start with.

A 416 cubic inch motor is made by using a 340 block that is bored .030" oversize (4.070") with a 4" stroke crank. A 408 cubic inch motor is a 360 bored .030" over (4.030") with a 4" stroke.

Hey, do yourself a big favor and check out e-bay, "How to build big-inch small blocks" book. You can "buy it now" for$24 + shipping. It is written by a Chrysler engineer and is chuck full of all the info you need to stroke a mopar small block. It's a great book! I am collecting parts to put Magnum heads on a LA. (another bit of info in the book). In the back of the book there is descriptions of strokers
with part#s and most have dyno specs. I guarantee you won't be disappionted.
Good Luck! E-mail me back when you get your book!!
toolmanmike

THX FOR THE INFO I'LL SEE IF GET THAT BOOK BUT DO'S A MAGNUM
CRANK FIT IN A OILDER MODEL 360.
I HAVE A 70 MODEL 360 40 OVER/GETING INDY HEADS/.557 SOLED CAM/
INDY INTAKE TO MACH THE HEADS RACE DEMONE CARB 750 DP
:neutral:

I don't know for sure but I'll look it up and post it back. toolmanmike

I looked quick in the stroker book. There is a whole chapter on cranks. The 360 LA and Magnum cranks will interchange but are different in three ways,rear main, balance, and pilot bushing hole size. It sounds like with the right combination of parts you could swap between the two. Hope this helps. toolmanmike

what the books say and what is true isn't always the same at my shop we have hundreds, maybe even thousands of cranks and we use the same cranks for mags and non mags- the crank grinder and I went through about 50 360 cranks- most early but maybe like 20 mags. and we measured anything that we could think of and for the most part they were all identical- usually if there was one different it was an early- So I'd say if you have a mag crank don't be afraid to use it in an early block or visa versa :thumblef:

toolmanmike said:
I looked quick in the stroker book. There is a whole chapter on cranks. The 360 LA and Magnum cranks will interchange but are different in three ways,rear main, balance, and pilot bushing hole size. It sounds like with the right combination of parts you could swap between the two. Hope this helps. toolmanmike

<HEY THX> FOR LOOKING IT THAT WILL SAVE ME $600.00
THE CAST 4.00 ABOUT $386.00 ATE MY FRINDS SHOP THE FORGED ONE
IS ABOUT 1000.00 OR SO
THX AGEN :thumblef: :notworth:

mrspeeddemon said:
what the books say and what is true isn't always the same at my shop we have hundreds, maybe even thousands of cranks and we use the same cranks for mags and non mags- the crank grinder and I went through about 50 360 cranks- most early but maybe like 20 mags. and we measured anything that we could think of and for the most part they were all identical- usually if there was one different it was an early- So I'd say if you have a mag crank don't be afraid to use it in an early block or visa versa :thumblef:

THX FOR YOUR INFO TOO MEN I RELLY NEED ;) :toothy5:

-
Back