Help me decide: 360 or 400

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
I cannot make up my mind on which engine I want to drop in the duster. A 360 or a 400 so I want you guys to help me make this descision. Give me advantages of both as well as disadvantages please

Throw the 400 in the missouri river. Have lots of fun with the 360

No substitute for cubic inches. No replacement for displacement. Go big or go home.

I've been doing some research and it seems the older 60s 360s have almost the same if not a lil under hp rating as the 400. Sorry I can't wrap my head around a 400 bb having 211 hp :/

If you like to keep the skin on your knuckles, go 360. The 360 also has a lager stroke than the 383...

I have decided NOT to go with boost but rather probably a nitrous build. Don't 360s have the steel rods? Or was that 318s

My vote is for the 360. JMO Can get good power and have a lot less weight on the nose

I've been doing some research and it seems the older 60s 360s have almost the same if not a lil under hp rating as the 400. Sorry I can't wrap my head around a 400 bb having 211 hp :/

No such thing as a 60's 360. From 71-72 model year manufacturers switched from gross HP rating to net. All power figures fell even if motor was unchanged. 440-6 went from 385 to 330. The 400 gets a bad rap for being a dog because it came out after this switch and with low compression during smog era. They will make big numbers. The 400 is to the 383 as the 360 is to the 340. No replacement for displacement, but they get bad raps for being later, low compression engines with cast cranks.

That said, if you have a 'teen in there now a 360 will be an easy swap.

No such thing as a 60s model 360. They began production in 71.

What he said ^ I have a 71 and 72 360 among my pile of 340s. I think I need help.... No way I will ever be able to use all these things.

Before you make your decision, go read this thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=249866

He started with a 7.45:1 440. Yup. Look at the power he got. Even after he switched to closed chamber heads it was only 7.85:1. A 360 will NEVER put out that kinda power at that compression. That motor will run all day long on 87 octane in the hottest weather in the slowest traffic. Talk about a true street engine. The 400 would probably make similar numbers at a little higher RPM.

My vote is for the 360. JMO Can get good power and have a lot less weight on the nose

^This! While I'm no road racer, the old A's lean more than enough going around corners with a small block. I prefer a more balanced package. If brute torque, and straightline speed is what you crave, take that 400 and stroke it! You pays your money, and you make your choice.

I had a built 440 in a 68 dart. Was one heck of a tire fryer and handled like dog poo. I sold the 440 and replaced it with a mild 360. Car was much better balanced and handled 100x better on the street. Cornered better and didnt bottom out on our awesome roads as easy. 360 had less power but was still just as quick because more of the power was making it to the ground instead of frying the tires. I think a lot depends on what you are looking for the car to do. JMO

Before you make your decision, go read this thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=249866

He started with a 7.45:1 440. Yup. Look at the power he got. Even after he switched to closed chamber heads it was only 7.85:1. A 360 will NEVER put out that kinda power at that compression. That motor will run all day long on 87 octane in the hottest weather in the slowest traffic. Talk about a true street engine. The 400 would probably make similar numbers at a little higher RPM.
That IS a interesting read, but the op is talking about a stock stroke 400, the 440 WILL make more torque all other things the same.

Lol I have the same situation!! I have both a 360 4 bbl and a 400 4 bbl. Trans for the big block but none for the sb..but have a stock 360/904 tq converter..Anyways I chose the 400 because I also have all the 440 internals to build a 451.400 fits better than an rb,not as easy as a 360. Put enough aluminum on the b block and the weight is as low as a sb or close enough.Pro's and cons to both. Your budget is gonna dictate what you choose...

(Cons) 400 is bigger and heavier but (pros) has more power potential, Adding after market aluminum intake and headers etc... will close the weight gap, my vote is 400, mod for mod 400 wins.

(Cons) 400 is bigger and heavier but (pros) has more power potential, Adding after market aluminum intake and headers etc... will close the weight gap, my vote is 400, mod for mod 400 wins.
Only problem with this, is what happens when you apply the same aluminum parts to the 360?

Only problem with this, is what happens when you apply the same aluminum parts to the 360?

Obviously the small block will weigh less but you only have to get the 400 down to stock small block weight to gain the handling and ride back.

Biggest cam I can throw in a stock 400 bb with only intake carb and headers? And possibly a mild port to the stock heads?

-
Back