Help me decide car swap

-

cchrishefish

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to swap my 1964 Dart Gt 225 with a 66 Barracuda in similar condition with a 360 automatic. The Barracuda needs upholstery work which I know how to do myself since I installed a new set on my Dart. I do not know a lot about production numbers or future values of these cars. So I am hoping to hear some feedback as to whether or not this is a good idea or not. I know the 360 is not an original motor for the 66 Barracuda, but I like the idea of having a v-8 car and I think the Barracuda is better looking in my opinion. I am sure the interior parts are just as easy to acquire for the Barracuda as for my Dart. Can anyone think of why this is a bad or good trade? Does anyone know how many 66 Barracudas were produced? Or, how many 64 Dart Gt cars were produced?

Here's a LINK to sales figures for the early Darts.

Your 225 is a good engine and has potential, your car is a GT, sounds as if it is mostly finished, and you know the good/bad about it. Wouldn't be too hard to put a v-8 in your dart would it? Tuck some nice wheels and fat rubber under it to make a real sweet ride.

........then again I'm partial to Darts.......

Why does someone want to trade a car with a v-8 for a slant car? What esle is wrong with the Cuda. The trim is hard to get for early cudas. Is it all there. The early Cuda will be more desireable then an early dart. If the two cars are that close to the same condition and you like the Cuda better then go for it.

Go to the early valient / cuda website they have all kinds of info on 1st gen. cudas vin decodeing ect. If it's in good shape then do what you wish, sheet metal for 66's is difficult to get there is someone making half quarters now but no fenders or trunk or doors ect. Check the quarters and normal areas for rot or bondo, value of a #1 formula S 1966 cuda last time i checked was around 25,000 tops you can make a guesstimate on the value of the one you are looking at from there. My 66 cuda is all original 273 car with factory air non formula s i figure when i'm done it will be worth maybe 17 to 18 grand or lower 66's are the redhedded bastard step children of the first gen cudas low production numbers one year restyling not very attractive. I personally love my car i'm always the only one at any show i like the oddball stuff. We are going to look at another 66cuda and valient in the next few weeks never can have too many a bodys good luck on your decision.

I think it really comes down to your own personal tastes. I'm partial to fastback-type styling and am the proud owner of a '66 Barracuda (nothing fancy, just a /6 auto). I personally prefer the look of the '66 vs. the '64-65 version, but others obviously disagree. I definitely agree with the previous comment that trim and body parts can be hard to find, so unless you really enjoy hunting that stuff down it's a good idea to make sure the car you're buying is solid and "complete". Replacement mechanical parts are readily available (Rock Auto is a good source). I think the total production in '66 was about 39,000, so there were never too many around to begin with. But it's fun to have something that people don't see everyday.

Steve

I don't think there's a big difference in value between a '66 Barracua or '64 Dart GT. The important issue is condition of each car. If the cars are in similar shape and you can do the interior work it sounds like you could up grade to a V8 car. The '66 could have disc brakes and/or an 8 3/4 rear axle too. Legendary has all of he interior stuff you'll need.

I had a 66 cuda now proud owner of 65 formula s with 318 not original motor. I would say based on my observations that the earlier a body cars are becoming more valuable since no normal person can afford the price of a 68/69 or 70-74 cuda. Production of the early a bodies were low less than 40k on any of them. They are harder to find and old or new parts getting tougher to find as they become more popular for low budget guys like us. I loved my 66 had 318 also and was drag raced driven to and from track, even had a custome built 8.75 rear (which I wish I had now). That car ran 14.0 with a little more work could have been in 13's. These cars are light compared to big B bodes and do not need big blocks to go well, not to mention they are hard to fit in small engine bay. I would jump on trade for your slant 6 car, but make sure there is nothing wrong with it, floor pans not rusted out, frame not bent, ect. Deals too good to be true are just that!

Advantages of the '66 Barracuda over the '64 Dart: Linkage transmission vs. cable shift; slip yoke driveshaft w/conventional u-joint vs. ball and trunion; and a larger core support opening for a bigger radiator. Other posible options that the '66 could have where it wasn't available on the '64 are: Disc brakes; 8 3/4 rear; console; front sway bar; in dash factory A/C; and heavy duty torsion bars and springs. Now many of these can be added to the '64 but they weren't stock. Plus you get the say you drive a Barracuda and not just a Dart! :)

Advantages of the '66 Barracuda over the '64 Dart: Linkage transmission vs. cable shift; slip yoke driveshaft w/conventional u-joint vs. ball and trunion; and a larger core support opening for a bigger radiator. Other posible options that the '66 could have where it wasn't available on the '64 are: Disc brakes; 8 3/4 rear; console; front sway bar; in dash factory A/C; and heavy duty torsion bars and springs. Now many of these can be added to the '64 but they weren't stock. Plus you get the say you drive a Barracuda and not just a Dart! :)

:boxing:

Not knowing the relative conditions of the vehicles, it is difficult to assign a "value" to either one, much less make an assessment as to the equity of the swap. In my mind if you are driven by the cash value of a 45 year old economy car, you have missed the point. A lot of what makes the A-body appealing is the fact that they are still plentiful and affordable. Look what happened to the prices of E-bodies once people decided they were an investment tool.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is: It is more about which car you prefer. If you lake the Barracuda more than you like your Dart, make the trade. The cars themselves are substantially similar mechanically, and a V8 can easily be sapped into your 64 if that is your primary wish.

I like both cars, and I looked at the Barracuda, and sorry to say, the car has had some salt exposure. The trunk has some rot. I purchased my Dart knowing it had the original non rusted floor panels, it was a desert California car. I will stay with my Dart.

Good choice! I never cared for the smell of fish anyways..

Good choice, there are a lot of barracudas around, but you don't see many darts.

I like both cars, and I looked at the Barracuda, and sorry to say, the car has had some salt exposure. The trunk has some rot. I purchased my Dart knowing it had the original non rusted floor panels, it was a desert California car. I will stay with my Dart.

that explains a lot...

-
Back