Help me settle an argument

-
Try unhooking the field wire to the alternator so it is not drawing any power during the run. Is the fab on it belt driven or elec?

Have you got any kind of a carb spacer under that 650?

By increasing the plenum volume, a 1"-tall spacer will trick the engine into thinking you've got a bigger carb than you have... and, they're cheap.

Good luck!:cheers:

that turbo would knock that time off wouldnt it Bill?! :cheers:

The suspension seems to work for what I've got in it, which is practically nothing. They do make adjustable shocks for it (most use KYB), but my car 60 ft better than most guys who use them with 100% stock stuff. Other than leaving fairly soft do you see anything that stands out to need major improvement? The rear doesn't squat as hard as I've seen other cars, but most swapped RX7's use manuals. My auto seems to "pre-squat" the rear which I think helps.

7.79 @ 87, 1.67 60 ft (manual shift)
[ame=http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg150/jbob1979/?action=view&current=2012-07-20_23-43-25_632.mp4]
th_2012-07-20_23-43-25_632.jpg
[/ame]

7.83 @ 86, 1.68 60 ft (auto shift)
[ame=http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg150/jbob1979/?action=view&current=2012-07-21_00-15-57_841.mp4]
th_2012-07-21_00-15-57_841.jpg
[/ame]

that turbo would knock that time off wouldnt it Bill?! :cheers:

Don't know if he has room for a turbo and all that exhaust plumbing, but there's more ways than one to skin a cat.

Here's my 360 Magnum/'72 Valiant with a Vortech V-1, S-trim centrifugal blower with a home-made mount I fashioned out of a piece of 1/2" aluminum plate.

With minimal other changes, it lowered my e.t. from 13.35, to low 11's and raised my mph from 102 to 116.

That's at 3,340 pounds (without a driver) and the engine is 100-percent stock (9:1 compression, measured,) except for a very mild Hughesengines cam (214/218 @ .050"-lift, .525" gross lift and 115-degrees of lobe separation.) Open TTI headers...

Small package on the left side of the engine; might fit in that RX-7.

Not as efficient as a turbo, probably, but picked the RWHP up from 260 to 445 with 10 pounds of boost (running a Snowperformance alky/water injector.)

Just a thought...:happy1:

Attachments

• 100_3266.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_3206.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 221
  • image0.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 237
  • image0-2.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 238
I looked into a supercharger, but everything about it is too tall. The blower would be stick out of my hood (in an odd place) and I have no room for a proper bonnet (even with my 4" cowl hood). One of the drawbacks to having such a slim front end.

UOP, man your car should be the poster child of hotrodding. Many brands coming together in a nice, clean, efficient package. I watched the video of your launches and it looks almost perfect to me. A low twelve second street car that you can drive anywhere....it doesn't get any better then that. You may have maxed out the combo you have, but at this point i wouldn't mess with it any more. Just enjoy it and if you want to go faster, throw a small shot on it or build something else. Did i say i really like that car........lol:D.

Ok, so I've been trying everything I can think of to improve my tune to pick up 2 tenths to get me in the 11's. One of my buddies (who isn't a racer) is convinced my carb is too small and just won't let up about it. To him there is no way a 650 dp is big enough for even my mild 360, and should easily be worth 2 tenths.

I don't think my carb is too small because it's not pulling a lot of vacuum at wot (all the way to redline). It only pulls about 1" of vacuum, so tell me, if my carb isn't a restriction, how could I pick up from moving to a bigger one? See this is where I think he's wrong, but I'm open to the thoughts from guys who know more than both of us. I'm not relying on old outdated calculators, but relying on hard data here. I'm sure one of the real racers here than help me here. I'd appreciate it.

My neighbor had the same issue with a Firebird with a 455 BB. What we ended up doing is we gave it a tune up, better suspension, lightend it up, put on proper tires, then we took out his Holley 650 and put in Prdator carb. The Predator carb uses a Ventari vent system don't want to explain in detail how it works but it self adjusts from 390cfm to 900cfm. The intake depends on how hard you floor it. Not great for mpg but made a believer out of us when his drag times came in.

UOP, man your car should be the poster child of hotrodding. Many brands coming together in a nice, clean, efficient package. I watched the video of your launches and it looks almost perfect to me. A low twelve second street car that you can drive anywhere....it doesn't get any better then that. You may have maxed out the combo you have, but at this point i wouldn't mess with it any more. Just enjoy it and if you want to go faster, throw a small shot on it or build something else. Did i say i really like that car........lol:D.

Wow, thank you so much. That made my day right there. :glasses7:

I looked into a supercharger, but everything about it is too tall. The blower would be stick out of my hood (in an odd place) and I have no room for a proper bonnet (even with my 4" cowl hood). One of the drawbacks to having such a slim front end.

Maybe a rear-mount turbo (back by the rear bumper) with a stock, low-rise intake manifold with a bonnet like SixPakAttack has might be low enough??? It's worth looking into; the performance gan would be outta site...

You could modify that carb hat, which is already low, by using just one end, cutting the other off and plugging it, and even bend the other end down at a small angle, if you had to. On a low-rise manifold, it might work... You absolitely don't need a hi-rise (tall) manifold with forced induction...

Might not be IDEAL in terms of air flow, but you'd still pick up a whale of a lot of performance..

I gay-roan-tee you'll love boost!!!! It's addicting!:cheers:

Think about it...:profilel:

Attachments

• sixpack.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 197
Coming from the rotary world and racing... Yes i have owned and raced some of them also it was a nice surprise to hear your car and see a rotary car. Put a smile on my face for sure... I may be the odd one here but I love NOS.... A 75 shot would wake that car up and be very easy on the motor.... Great car! I love it..

Maybe a rear-mount turbo (back by the rear bumper) with a stock, low-rise intake manifold with a bonnet like SixPakAttack has might be low enough??? It's worth looking into; the performance gan would be outta site...

You could modify that carb hat, which is already low, by using just one end, cutting the other off and plugging it, and even bend the other end down at a small angle, if you had to. On a low-rise manifold, it might work... You absolitely don't need a hi-rise (tall) manifold with forced induction...

Might not be IDEAL in terms of air flow, but you'd still pick up a whale of a lot of performance..

I gay-roan-tee you'll love boost!!!! It's addicting!:cheers:

Think about it...:profilel:

Boost would definitely be fun. I've owned a few turbo cars/trucks so I know how awesome it is. Who knows, maybe next year. :glasses7:

New best tonight with the Proform main body! 7.71 @ 89, 1.68

Tuned the carb to run more even from primary to secondaries, and wound up at ~12.0-12.2 afr. I think evening out the 4 barrels is what did it, though, keeping an 8 jet spread instead of 12-14 (haven't messed with the pvcr's, which are too small). I also played with the timing but didn't pick up anything so I wound up at 34. Overall I was pleased with tonight. I'm not picking up what I was originally hoping, but hey, it picked up, and that's what counts, right? Also, the best run was in 95+ degree heat, so I know it'll pick up more when it cools down some. I wound up with a string of 7.75-7.80's all night, and had a couple of good races. Good times. :)

New best tonight with the Proform main body! 7.71 @ 89, 1.68

Tuned the carb to run more even from primary to secondaries, and wound up at ~12.0-12.2 afr. I think evening out the 4 barrels is what did it, though, keeping an 8 jet spread instead of 12-14 (haven't messed with the pvcr's, which are too small). I also played with the timing but didn't pick up anything so I wound up at 34. Overall I was pleased with tonight. I'm not picking up what I was originally hoping, but hey, it picked up, and that's what counts, right? Also, the best run was in 95+ degree heat, so I know it'll pick up more when it cools down some. I wound up with a string of 7.75-7.80's all night, and had a couple of good races. Good times. :)

So it picked up .17 et? Nice job! :thumbup:

I'd step on the jetting a little. Pull some out and see if it picks up MPH, maybe 1 a side.

Wait til you get that "C" word squared away... :) it's gonna scoot even faster!

Squatting is not more et. The rear suspension moved down;+ = softer, taking load of the front tires, through body transfer. Squat is not even good for rear driven car. Stop the squat with rear springs; shocks are so so.

He did a little better than his old best 1/4 run today

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPKiH48sHA"]Hot Rod Drag Week 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Go to the 4:14:00 mark and you can see the run

12.18 112.54

Nice new best Jason!

-
Back