Help my thermoquad lost its balls

-

wreckbuilder

Reaction score
Rebuilding a thermoquad and had the top section soaking in Simple Green. When I took it out there was these two balls in the bottom of the pan. Does anybody have a idea where they might have came from?
Also I noticed the metering rods are different lengths.

20230706_191854.jpg

Sorry can’t help you with this, but you have me laughing. Sorry about that.

2 balls? Hummm, well, there is supposed to be one under the primary squirters so the fuel doesn’t get sucked out of the pump shot nozzles.

Two and three step rods? Broken rod?
I can’t really see on the phone.

Just a wild starter, what is it off of, and do you have a service manual. You can download many over at MyMopar.com

And........

The check for the pump squirter should be a long needle like a needle and seat. Maybe some corrosion, and the balls are supposed to be plugging dead end passages?

2 balls? Hummm, well, there is supposed to be one under the primary squirters so the fuel doesn’t get sucked out of the pump shot nozzles.

Two and three step rods? Broken rod?
I can’t really see on the phone.
The rods both have two steps The small diameter is longer on one rod. Didn't know if it was broken off or just a different length.

The rods both have two steps The small diameter is longer on one rod. Didn't know if it was broken off or just a different length.
It's either been broken off or they are different rods. They are supposed to be the same. Some models did have the pump squirter check ball but I couldn't tell you where a second one would go. Most kits include the brass pointed squirter check valve, so they will usually eliminate that check ball anyway.

It's either been broken off or they are different rods. They are supposed to be the same. Some models did have the pump squirter check ball but I couldn't tell you where a second one would go. Most kits include the brass pointed squirter check valve, so they will usually eliminate that check ball anyway.
Maybe it had two balls in the squirter? I didn't find a brass pointed check.

Maybe it had two balls in the squirter? I didn't find a brass pointed check.
I wouldn't think so. Sometimes, the check ball will get dislodged from the accelerator pump check cover, but those are too big for that.

The longer rod, with the long tip, looks like it might be from an AFB carb. Maybe somebody was experimenting with jetting.

Its off a 71 340 but the number (6139) says its for a 72 340
The 71 340 carbs were recalled for Drivability issues and many
were replaced with 72 carbs back then.

Yes I am very old!

Well, my Balls are the only things that seen to get bigger with age!

IMG_3126.jpeg
Not for nothing - but I’m no thermoquads expert but I do love them. I started out in the early 80’s working on them and learning to tune them with books like this one. Any book newer than will have the emissions bs. Even some of the older Motor or Peterson books had Info on them back then. Good pictures and breakdowns that even people who knew them learned something. You can find these books on eBay or old book resellers, yard sales and flee markets. Good luck on your quest to figure out what to do with the extra ball.
Lol!

Balls and metering rod. Yep, those 2 things go together.

-
Back