**Help!! Need '66 'Cuda 273 2 bbl Throttle Cable Clamp**

-

r66cuda

Baby-boomer member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. My wife has a '66 Barracuda, 273, which our mechanic buddy a few years ago switched from stock 2 bbl Carter BBD to a 4 bbl with Offy high rise. It ran terrible, and we finally went back to the stock 2 bbl intake & carb. I have the original Carter BBD, but we decided to use a similar Holley 2 bbl, same basic carb & hookups. When we installed the intake & carb, I discovered the Throttle Cable CLAMP was missing. I have now found a good a photo of the carb Throttle Cable Clamp & will try to edit & post it. I know a bunch of you guys have 273's out there with the same 2 bbl hookups, and I hope one of you have a spare I can buy. You can message me here. Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

• 2 bbl throttle bracket, 273, top view.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 402
  • 2 bbl throttle bracket, 273, top view #2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 337
I think I have one, let me look, I though it was for a 4bbl but the members here said it was for a 2bbl.

Yea, I was lookin at your part. It may be what I need. I was told by a mechanic friend there was a bracket on the carb, but it's on the back of the intake manifold & cable attaches to the same stud as kickdown. Just need to make sure it works. What did it come off of?

Came off a 1965 Barracuda, actually, it was laying inside the car lol

Seen mine, must mean the one I listed for sale awhile back? It's a little crusty but could be salvaged, let me know if that will work for you.

i think i just saw 1 in e bay but dammed if i can remeber where try 1965 barracuda

or it might have been some 1 with a factory intake on here try search 273 intake for sale sure some 1 will have 1 i know i got a kickdown linkage off a 65 in my garage pile somewheres in fact i saw 1 under a throttle linkage holdown for taller airgap style intakes in e bay sorry cant help you more
breaking my back sucked but loosing my mind was the worse of the 2 lotta 273 still around im sure some 1 has 1 4 yah gl

For $15 I'll bite. How do I pay you? I gotta run to town now, but be back couple hours.

Early on the bell crank for the kickdown was mounted on the firewall. The end link didn't have the slot for free throttle return either. I'm not sure what year they changed but... you dont want that early setup.
I think the 66 bell crank might have had one bolt hole at the back end of the left head. I wouldn't want that one either if the later design will work.

Kind of lost which parts you are missing. The bracket that secures the throttle cable is small and bolts to a rear intake bolt, as I recall. If you put on an after-market 4 bbl intake, as I did, it sits too low. I currently have a Carter BBD on a 2-4 adapter, so even higher. I had to make a bracket off a carb stud to mount my cable clamp higher. I see used ones for 4 BBL SB's all the time, and they cost more (~$20).

At the carb, you need a Mopar "long stud" to fit the kickdown's slotted end. You can attach the throttle cable end to the same part or to another hole on the carb bracket. Some carbs require a $17 Holley Mopar adapter, a U-shaped piece you bolt to the carb's throttle bracket. You can find at Summit or Jegs. You can find photos of the Carter BBD (and AFB) setup for ~1965 in a search here.

In my 1965, the kickdown linkage goes thru a triangular pivot bracket that bolts to the rear of the left head, with 3 bolts I recall. I recall it is aluminum. It is fairly large, with a non-removable rod thru it, so unlikely you lost that.

Thanx, 66340SEDAN! I was able to take the one you sent me to my machinist, who sandblasted it, then torched the nut to expand threads, & it came right off. Thanx to everyone who responded & gave helpful info, too. This is a good group, & I need to log on more often, like when I joined years ago.
r66cuda
:supz:

-
Back