Help needed for my project car

-

NateSmit

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to build my 66 Cuda and being a guy who loves cars who threw himself into a project not knowing much I need help. I've got my 383 almost done being built and now I need help with just about everything else. My dad's been outta the car building game for yrs and never really built the cuda he had. So any help or tips would be great. Oh and my engine has been built for performance so I'll need to figure what I need to make it work. Thx for any help in advance

IMG_0962.jpeg

Welcome to the site from Oregon, let’s see some pics. Is your 66 setup for a big block?I’m gonna need more info on what you need help with. Dustin.

You picked the right place for good advice,
Welcome and enjoy your A body.

:welcome: from :canada:
Lots of great people here with tremendous knowledge and experience, but I think you should start a build thread for your Barracuda first.
You will find that it will be much easier for others to help you get answers if the questions are more specific.
Photos of your car and the areas you have questions about will help as well. We all have ideas and thoughts on how we might do things, but your ideas may be vastly different.
Dropping a big block into a 66 Barracuda is not a simple task but it is very doable, no doubt that someone on this site has been through it and can help you avoid some problems.

Welcome to FABO!!!

Yeah, post up some pics so we can see what you're working with.

What is your budget?

Generally speaking you want to get it running, driving, and stopping first. Are you planning to drive it and do little projects at a time (that's what I prefer) or do it all at once?

Some folks like a shinny paint job, others just care about the way it runs.
My paint is 40 years old but still looks good from 10 feet.

It's always fun spending other people's money :D

I'm currently trying to build my 66 Cuda and being a guy who loves cars who threw himself into a project not knowing much I need help. I've got my 383 almost done being built and now I need help with just about everything else. My dad's been outta the car building game for yrs and never really built the cuda he had. So any help or tips would be great. Oh and my engine has been built for performance so I'll need to figure what I need to make it work. Thx for any help in advance

I'd love to show pictures and all but my project is with my parents bout a 4hr drive away, because I'm active duty and can't afford to love outside the barracks.

Hey man, Thank You for your Service!!

I totally understand. I started out as an E-1 and retired as a Master Sergeant.

Where are you stationed? I'm working in Fayetteville NC this week. Not too far from Fort Bragg.

Welcome to the wonderful world of FABO. You sure picked a project to start with, putting a big block into an early A body is no easy task. Get ready to do some cutting and hammering, welding and fabrication.

Welcome to the wonderful world of FABO. You sure picked a project to start with, putting a big block into an early A body is no easy task. Get ready to do some cutting and hammering, welding and fabrication.
Yep. 67 up would be a TON easier but with good fab skills all is possible. You might start a research on the exh. man./header situtionforths model. Manual steering I hope.

Getting something on to the driver-side exhaust flange is gonna be the make or break part of this build. Many BB/ Early-A projects get this far, then stall for lack of exhaust. I once, in about 1976, was given such a project for this very reason. The car was a beautiful 66 Barracuda, and the owner just wanted it out of his sight. I was barely 23 years old, and like the idiot-kid I was, I treated it as a parts car. Alas, alas, Woe is me.
Back then there were only two options for exhaust; the factory Second-Generation BB log-manifolds, or Hooker fenderwells. IDK about today.
---------------------------------------
I sold the parts and soon purchased an already hot-rodded 1974 Dart-Sport 360/4-speed that had a brand new paint job and monster tires on it; from another kid, that just got married with a baby on the way. IIRC I paid $2000 for that car and it was worth many times that much in terms of FUN!, lol.
I got married in 77, and bought a house in 78, and soon after, I had sold that car for a tidy profit. ....... I was driving my First Second-gen Barracuda, a 69 slanty automatic.... in preparation for, you guessed it, by fall of 79, my new bride started carrying a little extra weight....... which soon turned into the first of three children, this one being a beautiful baby girl; my Hot-Rod life was over....... until about 20 years later.
I recently turned 70, and that was going on 50 years ago so the details are fading, please forgive me if I made an error..... lol.

Last edited:
Yep. 67 up would be a TON easier but with good fab skills all is possible. You might start a research on the exh. man./header situtionforths model. Manual steering I hope.
The exhaust situation would be made somewhat easier by using the HDK front end for early A body cars. It would at least eliminate the torsion bar, which is smack dab in the middle of any access to get the exhaust down through there. It’s difficult even with a small block

It is always about just how many $$$$$$$ a guy wants to spend!!

I get a lick out of the MotorTrend flicks when the resto shop spends $10,000-15000 for the full frame for the guys Chevy.
Amd I feel guilty if I spend $2.50 per spark plug at Rock Auto!!! :thumbsup: :steering:

Y
Welcome to the site from Oregon, let’s see some pics. Is your 66 setup for a big block?I’m gonna need more info on what you need help with. Dustin.
Yea it is. I can provide more info and pictures in a couple weeks when I can visit home for a weekend

Getting something on to the driver-side exhaust flange is gonna be the make or break part of this build. Many BB/ Early-A projects get this far, then stall for lack of exhaust. I once, in about 1976, was given such a project for this very reason. The car was a beautiful 66 Barracuda, and the owner just wanted it out of his sight. I was barely 23 years old, and like the idiot-kid I was, I treated it as a parts car. Alas, alas, Woe is me.
Back then there were only two options for exhaust; the factory Second-Generation BB log-manifolds, or Hooker fenderwells. IDK about today.
---------------------------------------
I sold the parts and soon purchased an already hot-rodded 1974 Dart-Sport 360/4-speed that had a brand new paint job and monster tires on it; from another kid, that just got married with a baby on the way. IIRC I paid $2000 for that car and it was worth many times that much in terms of FUN!, lol.
I got married in 77, and bought a house in 78, and soon after, I had sold that car for a tidy profit. ....... I was driving my First Second-gen Barracuda, a 69 slanty automatic.... in preparation for, you guessed it, by fall of 79, my new bride started carrying a little extra weight....... which soon turned into the first of three children, this one being a beautiful baby girl; my Hot-Rod life was over....... until about 20 years later.
I recently turned 70, and that was going on 50 years ago so the details are fading, please forgive me if I made an error..... lol.
So I've found the hooked headers on summit and plan on ordering them when I can. My dad's been outta the car building gig for bout 30yrs himself so he can only advise me so far. But any more help you can give would be appreciated and money isn't the issue it's being bought over time because the military don't pay all that well.

It is always about just how many $$$$$$$ a guy wants to spend!!

I get a lick out of the MotorTrend flicks when the resto shop spends $10,000-15000 for the full frame for the guys Chevy.
Amd I feel guilty if I spend $2.50 per spark plug at Rock Auto!!! :thumbsup: :steering:
I'm spending as much as I can to make her reliable. It's being bought slowly because the military don't pay as well as you'd think. But I'm dedicated so as I get the cash I put it in to her. Unfortunately I gotta pay a lil debt off before I can start putting more money in the project

If you catch me up to speed that be great because I kinda launched myself head 1st into this project without a whole ton of knowledge. But I'm dedicated to learn I bought a welder in advance because I figured I might need it and I have people that are willing to teach me how to weld its just trying to make time in my current active duty situation where I don't live with my car

Welcome to FABO!!!

Yeah, post up some pics so we can see what you're working with.

What is your budget?

Generally speaking you want to get it running, driving, and stopping first. Are you planning to drive it and do little projects at a time (that's what I prefer) or do it all at once?

Some folks like a shinny paint job, others just care about the way it runs.
My paint is 40 years old but still looks good from 10 feet.

It's always fun spending other people's money :D
I don't have a set in stone budget honestly. I'm just using what extra cash I have and go as I can. 1st I plan on getting her running then I'll do small bit by small bit. And I unfortunately don't get to see her to often she's about 4hrs away and I only see her once a month because military life is busy currently. I have a basic list started on summit but I could use some help with it to be honest. I'm just a 22 yr old kid with dreams and not enough knowledge. But I could use some help as she was just a roller when I got her so any advice for what kinda tranny she should have?

Hey man, Thank You for your Service!!

I totally understand. I started out as an E-1 and retired as a Master Sergeant.

Where are you stationed? I'm working in Fayetteville NC this week. Not too far from Fort Bragg.
I'm in Mayport and I'm trying to stay in the "Mayport mafia" and just do my sea and shore rotation and get out because of the woke stuff they keep pushing. So as an e4 who seemingly can't make Rank despite trying and failing 5 cycles (so far and probably more cause studying has always been a struggle) I'd at least like to have my project car running by the time I get out.

Well, first obstacle is the lack of any space between the inner fender of the engine bay, and the tunnel area where the trans goes. Even a small block 727 needs to have the pinch weld hammered down where the firewall and floor pan meet. With a big block motor and trans, the tunnel will have to be cut out and a new tunnel fabricated. You will also need the Schumacher conversion motor mounts for the early A body to big block engine, as no early A body ever came with a big block. The trans crossmember will also need to be altered to run your dual exhaust, and of course there’s the problem of the radiator, headers, and you will need a torque strap to hold down the drivers side of the motor to keep it from hitting the hood upon acceleration. Did I mention that you will need some aftermarket torsion bars that are at least 1” in diameter? And at least the single piston disc brake conversion from a 73 and later A body, or aftermarket discs. Then there’s the rear end, which will need at least an 8 3/4”, or 8 1/4” if you’re easy on the drivetrain. There a lot of fabbing that needs to be done like sectioning the
K frame for the oil pan, and the tunnel. You have picked one of the harder engine swaps in tue Mopar world, so buckle up, hold on tight, and take it one step at a time.

I'm in Mayport and I'm trying to stay in the "Mayport mafia" and just do my sea and shore rotation and get out because of the woke stuff they keep pushing. So as an e4 who seemingly can't make Rank despite trying and failing 5 cycles (so far and probably more cause studying has always been a struggle) I'd at least like to have my project car running by the time I get out.
I understand wanting to get out because of the wokeness. I got out the army in 2007, I’d be retired now if I stayed in or dead. I was on pace for about 10 15 month deployments before I jammed out. Dustin

These are some pictures that I took yesterday. I'm only down for the weekend once a month so I can't do a whole lot just yet but I'll have more time soon enough

20230721_153214.jpg

20230721_153120.jpg

20230721_153111.jpg

20230721_152934.jpg

20230721_153047.jpg

20230721_153033.jpg

20230721_152915.jpg

-
Back