help on rear brakes

-

68cuda78

Reaction score
Can anyone post a pic for me. I got a duster and all the brake hardware is missing and I wanna put it back together. If you could post a pic of one side of brakes without the drum on that would be great so I can see how it goes together . I usually leave one side together while doing the other lol. I wanna c how adjusters go to as far as what direction. Let me know what side of car u post in case I cant tell. Thanks in advance

Is the other side in the same situation? I believe the bigger boot goes to the back, I would take and post a picture if I could. I did my own brakes a year ago and found snapped cables and what not so I know what you are going through.

Here's a photo. PAX rear brake, top, DRV rear lower. Although the lower brake is from a fwd car, the layout is the same as the rear drive. The lower photo shows the e-brake cable and adjuster hookup better than upper photo.

Screw adjuster goes where small lever lines up with the star wheel.

Attachments

• is.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 222
  • is1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 221
Man wish it was a little closer up and clearer... does short shoe go towards the front or back. Thanks

Shorter shoe goes towards the front......See if this pic helps on the adjusters.

Attachments

• P1070548 (Small).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 250
How about this one.......

Attachments

• P1070549 (Small).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 251
Thanks anymore pics of . Think im missing some hardware. I can see the left side good but not right

there isn't much there really, the adjuster, emergeny brake bar and shoe spreader bar, everything else comes with a spring kit

late 70's 8.25, 10x2.5

Attachments

• DSC07953.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 224
Some vehicles like many police cars didn't have complete automatic adjusters.
I cant understand why folks don't invest in factory service manuals.
You cant be sure the pics show the brakes put together properly unless you gets pics of the vehicle stopping with them too.
Good luck

I believe mine did have the the auto adjuster. Some of the old crusted brake hardware was in trunk and it had the adjusters just like the pic.

Might be easiest to buy a "brake hardware kit". I got one at Autozone for $8 per axle. It has all the springs and adjusters. It is the "later design", like JimaCuda shows, which would be correct for your Duster. I just had to re-use my spring pins since my rear shoes were a different width. For the later design adjusters, you usually need to press the little stud into a shoe as a pivot for the adjuster. The stud usually comes separate in the brake shoe set. A hammer against a socket works if you don't have a press. Nothing unique here. I expect most cars of that era use the same Bendix drum brake design.

-
Back