Help: Remove/Replace 1967 Barracuda Steering Wheel

-

71 Duster 440

Quarter Life Crisis
Reaction score
I plan on replacing my 1967 Barracuda's cracked and worn steering wheel tomorrow. Can anyone walk me through the process, or is there anything I should know before diving in? Are any special tools needed? Will the wheel come loose without the use of a steering wheel puller? Thanks in advance!

Chris

The only special tool needed is a steering wheel puller. Yes, you need it. No, you can't remove the wheel without it.

Remove center ornament. Remove horn button (3 screws) and lift it off. Remove horn switch wire from its terminal and lift the horn switch off. Now you can see the steering wheel nut. Hold the wheel in one hand while you loosen and remove the nut (and washer) with an appropriate wrench with the other. Install the steering wheel puller's two side bolts into the drilled and tapped holes in the wheel hub. Turn the wheel puller's central stem down until it contacts the steering shaft, then keep turning till the wheel pops off the spline. Remove the wheel-and-puller assembly and remove the puller from the wheel.

If you can get your hands on a piece of something like 3/4 square steel. Make yourself a puller. Drill two 3/8" holes through it spaced the same as the puller holes in the wheel hub. You'll need two 5/16" bolts with full threads and two nuts.

Make sure you mark the steering wheel and the steering column so that when you install the steering wheel it will still be straight. Mark the old and then match it with the new one.

Make sure you mark the steering wheel and the steering column so that when you install the steering wheel it will still be straight. Mark the old and then match it with the new one.

My 67 and also 68 have a spline on them and the steering wheel will only go on one way.

My 67 and also 68 have a spline on them and the steering wheel will only go on one way.

Really!!

My 67 cuda doesn't!
When I first bought the car the steering wheel was crooked while driving down the road. I pulled the wheel and adjusted it until it was straight.

You have to file away the master spline for aftermarket wheels too.

You have to file away the master spline for aftermarket wheels too.

I will have to look at this when ever I get back into the steering wheel. I will have to remove it to lock my dash into place. I still have the factory steering wheel. Maybe at one time some one had a aftermarket wheel and had already did the filing.

Thanks very much for the responses guys! I was about to ask if there's a keyway/spline in the steering shaft that only allows the wheel to be put on a certain way. I'd hate to have a crooked steering wheel. I guess I'll find out when I go out there. Thanks!

The only special tool needed is a steering wheel puller. Yes, you need it. No, you can't remove the wheel without it.

Remove center ornament. Remove horn button (3 screws) and lift it off. Remove horn switch wire from its terminal and lift the horn switch off. Now you can see the steering wheel nut. Hold the wheel in one hand while you loosen and remove the nut (and washer) with an appropriate wrench with the other. Install the steering wheel puller's two side bolts into the drilled and tapped holes in the wheel hub. Turn the wheel puller's central stem down until it contacts the steering shaft, then keep turning till the wheel pops off the spline. Remove the wheel-and-puller assembly and remove the puller from the wheel.
It depends on how tight the nut is. I've pulled many without a puller but they're cheap so it makes sense to have one. The stock wheels have a master key so they only can be installed one way. If the wheel isn't centered, it's because that last one who aligned the front end didn't do their job right.

I just went out into my garage and checked the two steering wheels that I have pulled, a 67 and a 68. BOTH have a master spline in the twelve o'clock position. The tuff wheel adapter (from a 70's A body) that I'm using also had a master spline in it.

The only modern Mopars I remember seeing with no master spline is the 4X4 trucks with a live front axle. Since they only have one tie rod, you have to remove the wheel to center it.

Ya'll are making me feel re-are-ed !!!

I will investigate my steering column when I have time.

The reason I can remember it didn't have a master spline is (don't tell anyone this) because I had the steering barely on and while I was driving I would center it up. lol

It depends on how tight the nut is. I've pulled many without a puller but they're cheap so it makes sense to have one.
it's more about the friction between the wheel and the shaft in my experiences- I've removed most of my wheels without a puller, but here's a hint if you want to try the old 'grip, pull, and wiggle' steering wheel removal method: After you loosen the nut, leave it on a couple turns- nothing worse than yanking on the steering wheel with both hands...and having it come off.
It's good for a pretty mean forehead welt lol.

The one thing you want to do first is to disconnect the battery or the horn will honk everytime the horn wire touches a grounded metal part.That wire will have to be disconnected before you can remove the horn button.

If you go buy a steering wheel puller,make sure to get one that has a flat surface where the bolts go through.I used to have a cheap one that was curved and it did'nt seem to work that well.Several years ago I bought the lisle brand puller and it works perfect every time,definitely worth the extra money.

well this thread came up on a search google or other. so is there any avsilable anywhere? i need one just to get my fat butt in and out of my car cuz of the cage. still have to have stock stearing column for turn signals and rules.

well this thread came up on a search google or other. so is there any avsilable anywhere? i need one just to get my fat butt in and out of my car cuz of the cage. still have to have stock stearing column for turn signals and rules.

Are you asking where to get a quick release steering wheel adaptor?
Try Summit racing or JEGS. You'll have to know the shaft diameter of the steering column. Unfortunately I can't remember.

-
Back