Help removing parking brake cable

-

Mexmarine

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I'm supposed to take this parking brake cable off?
WIN_20171124_114316.JPG
WIN_20171124_114332.JPG

Yup or break them off. "For an old man" like me these are a huge PITA. I recently junked out a Durango and a rolled Dakota, as well as replacing a rear axle under another Dakota. So I got to deal with around 4 sets of these!!!!

Slide a 13 mm box end over cable, seat it with a hammer and they pop right out. Best way by far. Hose clamp good idea too.

I use a boxed end wrench. I think 7/16 on my older mopar.

a 7/16" or 1/2" box end wrench or deep well socket to push the tangs in then pull from the back...

My hose-plier works pretty good
Back when I started my resto mod, I was thinking dragrace more, street less, and cut mine to get it out if the way of the subframe connectors, bad idea ! No parking brake on hot streetcar now, !

My hose-plier is not a cutter, if that's what you're thinking,lol. It's just a needle-nose, with long handles, and the tips shaped to fit around small hoses,and then bent up at about 45*. It fits in there and around those tangs,like a glove. It's not perfect tho, sometimes one tang tries to escape the clamp-action; I just reposition the tips and try again.
I use that plier for a lot of things.
I have no tool capable of cutting those cables; well except the cutting-torch
Up here, our cars have to have a functional park-brake to "pass safety". But there is no retest for as long as you own the car. I went thru my stash of several cables to find a set that I thought might work, and then spent a good deal of time getting those 32 year old cables to work. And you know what, the only time that system was ever energized was by the tester, in 1999. So far as I'm concerned, it's just dead-weight. Kindof like the horn;it too I have never used. But,yes Sir, I'm street legal!

Last edited:
My hose-plier is not a cutter, if that's what you're thinking,lol. It's just a needle-nose, with long handles, and the tips shaped to fit around small hoses,and then bent up at about 45*. It fits in there and around those tangs,like a glove. It's not perfect tho, sometimes one tang tries to escape the clamp-action; I just reposition the tips and try again.
I use that plier for a lot of things.
I have no tool capable of cutting those cables; well except the cutting-torch
Up here, our cars have to have a functional park-brake to "pass safety". But there is no retest for as long as you own the car. I went thru my stash of several cables to find a set that I thought might work, and then spent a good deal of time getting those 32 year old cables to work. And you know what, the only time that system was ever energized was by the tester, in 1999. So far as I'm concerned, it's just dead-weight. Kindof like the horn;it too I have never used. But,yes Sir, I'm street legal!
yeah had to do that anyway to get it all comepletely off . dumbass me .

-
Back