help replacing steering gearbox please

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
well I took the old one off and the new one is on, but the pitman arm is still off and the column is still out of it, what I need to know is, how do I get the pitman arm to line up and how do i get it back on (it won't go on the threads so I can start the bolt) also the thing I leaned from online research called a steering plunge came off the column when I took it off the column so how do I get this back on, it has 2 little metal things inside and something that looks like a clip that also came out of it. so anyway how do I get this thing back together so I can drive again haha, this is the first major thing I've ever done to a car starter was the only real other thing I've done besides change oil and stuff haha

The pitman arm should have a few splines missing as should the steering gear box. Line those up and it should go on. I have no idea about the other issue you have. Post pics of exactly what you're talking about.

Sounds like your coupler came apart. Reassemble it, make sure it's full of grease. The cover is just crimped on. Put it back together while the column is out. The cover can be a real pain to put on so that it stays on. I use a punch and hammer to get the little tangs on the cover crimped around the body of the coupler again. A block of wood under the coupler and cover will support it. Have a second set of hands hold the cover in place while you re-crimp it. Just go around it several times until it's secure - be patient.

The clip inside pushes the two shoes out against the body of the coupler.

Attachments

• shaft installed.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 172
  • coupler image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 162
-
Back