Help-Setting up a trailer for Racing

-

swifter

Reaction score
So I did a search here and didn't find a thread on the subject so I'll do it,This will be Zach (my son) and mine first summer heading to the track,So I need some help with the trailer set-up,So basic tools I should have,Extra parts that should go along and stay in the trailer,I don't see myself pulling apart a rear end in a parking lot or pulling a trany like I have seen at events but none the less I want to be prepared.Not looking to get beat up by anyone so If you can't help please keep your comments to yourself,This could help a lot of members here at the same time and maybe become something people reference in the future-Thanks Steve

Air tank, tire gauge, floor jack and stands, socket set, lights or flash lights, hoses and hose clamps, spare carb if possible, tow straps, radio, cooler, jumper cables, possibly some plywood if you have to park somewhere muddy, and did I mention a cooler :)

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Doo-Do you think we should take a cooler-????? LOL

At my age I'd have to add to the above an inverter / generator and electric impact, "stuff" ta lay on, spare clothes, water, soap, lots of towels. Make sure you have some means of loading a broke car, IE winch, come-a-long, etc

Don't forget a spare for the trailer!!

A gas powered generator, Battery Charger, Fuel Jug

A cooler attracts friends too :thumbup:

Great so far thanks keep them coming and oh we like friends visiting especially from Arizona !!!!!!!! Steve

spark plugs, extra plug wires, jets, timing light, bicycle air pump for those last minute fill ups or an are tank but the pump fits in the trunk and doesn't weigh much, extra ecu, extra ballast resister, beer for afterwards, small cup to catch gas when pulling bowels off to change jets, extra throttle cable and more beer and don't forget your helmet.

Bob-Did you say BEER?? LOL--Love your car-Thanks

Does anyone here use one of those little honda generator???? Wonder if they have enough ummmph for a battery charger and they are quite --Steve

the Hondas are great generators, quiet but expensive. I take my 6500 watt generator with me but have never used it yet. I purchased a big 900amp fishing battery meant for the electric motors to move your bass boat. I have yet to run it down. they also keep the voltage up high for longer periods of time before they start to discharge. the battery I had before was a high amp racing battery and cost $400 so the fishing battery at $100 is a good deal. the racing battery did last 8 years and was a good investment also. I'm now considering a unit you hook up to the truck and it changes the dc voltage to ac, i'm thinking i'll need a 3000-4000 watt one to run a small air compressor or battery charger. I like the no noise thing and I don't have to load the generator, a couple of +'s

Honda generators are known for quality. We had an Onan which served us well too.

A couple more things you might want.......

Winch
Liquid Shoe Polish
Bug/Weed sprayer tank for cooling down between rounds
Infrared Gun for tire & track temps

And don't forget the Mopar Rules sticker LOL 8)

Canopy and anchor bags and Chairs to sit on..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3XRnaxbLqI"]ShelterLogic® Anchor Bags - YouTube[/ame]

I just take a small tool box with the basics (wrenches, zip ties, wire, etc), air tank, jack with jack stands, sun screen, food & drinks.

The tool I use the most at the track is my tire pressure gauge.

If I break something small, I fix it. If I break something bigger I just go home and fix it, rather than thrash in the pits....been there, done that too many times. Good luck, and have fun.

The anchor bags are "cute". Why not just some old parts like a set of cracked heads, old crank, etc. A couple of pieces of rope and you'll all set.

LOL You guys keep addin' stuff pretty soon yer gonna 'ave..............

0%252520-%2525201%252520-Helldrivers%252520-%252520Toronto%252520Canasa%252520-%2525201970.jpg

Dont forget a cooler and some (wobbly pops)as memike would say..........................................................Jeff

I just take a small tool box with the basics (wrenches, zip ties, wire, etc), air tank, jack with jack stands, sun screen, food & drinks.

The tool I use the most at the track is my tire pressure gauge.

If I break something small, I fix it. If I break something bigger I just go home and fix it, rather than thrash in the pits....been there, done that too many times. Good luck, and have fun.

X2
I use carry alot-not any more
1 small palstic tool box, battery charger air tank and shoe polish!

LOL--I better buy a semi !!!!!!!! It's all good guy's thanks and keep'em coming--I think I need a cooler and some beer,That would be the general consensus

I like to have electrical connectors, test light or multimeter. Also a log book is nice. BBQ and some grub. Cooler and beer are no good without ICE! Glad to see that you are heading to the track. Even better to do it with your boy! I feel my family is closer due to racing.

On a serious note a log book is really important. Don't rely on your phone though. I found it hard to keep track on my phone rather then a notebook

Just remember,,, No matter how much stuff you take,,, you won't have something that you will need. !!:cheers: :wack:

We kind of go overkill with what we pack in the trailer. I have a winch and very huge 8D size battery mounted in the cabinets. We bought a silent generator from Costco. It's a Champion 1400W I believe. It'll run a large battery charger on high charge no problem but won't run a very good compressor. So I have a cheap very small compressor that is good enough for tires and a blow gun. I keep enough tools to rip the car almost all the way apart. I also keep torque wrenches to assemble it lol.

Make sure you have all the fluids and filters your car requires for a service. Drain pans and funnels too. Lots of rags or a paper rag dispenser on the door. We have a large jack and 4 large stands that can get the car high enough to get big tires out of little wheel wells. Gonna need a battery charger and lots of cords if you have a genset. Also air hose.

Also some spare parts like a spare carb or carb kit, and jets. Fuel pump especially if it's electric. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Always keep one or two dial-in markers, tire guages (spare never hurts) and leave your helmet in there too and jacket, pants or whatever you require for the ET.

We put LED work lights on the trailer so we can thrash through the night if need be. Otherwise they are good for the party. We also have a stereo built in with speakers inside and marine speakers on the outside. This last section is a great way to meet people at the track who are looking for a place to have a couple beers!!!

All this stuff is packed in our 24ft trailer! We also make all our own food instead of buying junky track food that's too expensive. We also camp out there so all that kind of stuff just comes in the camper.

Also everything that everybody else posted is great stuff to have on board. I just put up what I have. I know there is stuff I missed but you always will learn things as you go and bring next time. The great thing about this sport is everyone is so helpful, you can normally borrow it in a pinch.

I'm an NHRA licensed tech inspector too, so if anyone has tech questions I can probably help answer them.

Did I mention you need a Cooler FULL of BEER???!!!??!!

-
Back