Help....throttle cable/gas pedal set up

-

71gtdart

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got the factory pedal in my 71 dart, and have a Lokar cable and mount. My butterflies in the carb are not opening fully before the pedal hits the floor.

Heres the deal.

The part of the pedal that the cable slides into is all the way against the firewall when everything is hooked up.
With the idle screw set on the carb where it needs to be, I pulled the cable into the linkage as far as possible, and tightened the set screw.

When the pedal goes to the floor, the carb butterflies are not fully opening, and the cable is tight with no adjustment to be made.

I thought about heating the pedal and bending the foot pedal half up so that it would be farther off the floor at rest and give more travel. Problem is that the back half hits the fire wall at the same time as the foot pad hitting the floor, and it would not let me have the extra travel.

What do you guys run for a pedal/cable/bracket?

Thanks

I use the stock cable and bracket for an A body.....you need to probably pulls some slack out of the cable...

I use the stock cable and bracket for an A body.....you need to probably pulls some slack out of the cable...

Thats the thing Tony, the cable is tight as a guitar string. its like pedal travel is the problem if that makes sense. Kind of hard to explain over the internet. With it all hooked up, the cable end of the pedal is pulled tight to the firewall, and the cable is pulled tight as possible between the carb linkage and the bracket that holds the cable at the back of the carb. When the pedal bottoms out, I still have 3/8 inch of cable sticking out of the cable sheath at the bracket. it has more room to go, but the pedal has no more room to pull the last 3/8 inch.

What kind of carburetor are you running. I am trying to think of how to describe it but here it goes. The throttle arm on the carburetor has an arm that the throttle cable hooks to. Moving the throttle cable attachment closer to to the throttle shaft will shorten the stroke needed to open the throttle from closed to open. Moving it away from the throttle shaft will lengthen the distance needed to move the throttle from closed to open. You may be able to move your throttle attachment point on the carburetor closer to the throttle shaft and adjust your cable then.

What kind of carburetor are you running. I am trying to think of how to describe it but here it goes. The throttle arm on the carburetor has an arm that the throttle cable hooks to. Moving the throttle cable attachment closer to to the throttle shaft will shorten the stroke needed to open the throttle from closed to open. Moving it away from the throttle shaft will lengthen the distance needed to move the throttle from closed to open. You may be able to move your throttle attachment point on the carburetor closer to the throttle shaft and adjust your cable then.

Its a 4150 double pumper from AED that I had converted to alcohol. I follow what you're saying and will check to see if I can move it and get what I need. I have it located in the biggest hole on the linkage with a small heim joint. Thanks

What linkages and brackets are on the carb??? could you have a wrong one for the Mopar set up???

-
Back