Help trouble shoot electrical problem PLEASE

-

green72

Reaction score
I spent most of the winter going thru all the systems and detailing under the hood of my 72 Scamp. This included removal of the wiring harness. I was ready to fire her up today but something is not right. I have headlights, horn and dome lights but nothing else? Really new to working on this stuff so if someone could give me some direction I would be grateful.

Make sure your grounds are good. You may have to scratch off some of that fresh paint to get a good ground. tmm

Headlights, dome light and horn work without ignition on
My guess something in ignition circuit

Good luck

You have radio, dash lights and crap like that??

Sure it's not the neutral safety switch?

As Joe said, check the nuetral safety swtch. its that funny plug on the side of the transmission. Its usually a brown wire and it attaches to the starter relay.

I dont have signals, radio or dash lights.Is there a way to jumper the neutral safety switch just to see if its the problem?

Is there a way to jumper the neutral safety switch just to see if its the problem?

ground the neutral switch terminal at the starter relay on the fenderwell.

but if you don't have all that other stuff i doubt its the problem.. doesn't hurt to try though.

ground the terminal on the realy that the brown/white wire goes to (lower right in picture)...

make sure the car is in neutral or park and see if it cranks.. don't leave it jumped out because then it will start in gear..

Attachments

• 2958212-Relay-wired.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 112
What I understand so far...
you do have power going into the cabin and to those always hot circuits.
You do not have power leaving the ignition switch and going to the fuse box or the start circuit. Maybe you left the harness connector under the column apart .

check the fire wall plug where it passes through the fire wall. some times when you have them apart and plug them back in the stabs get pushed out instead of re connected

The large red wire in the column plug was in bad shape looks like it got hot at one time. Cut it on both sides of plug and connected it direct, all is good!! Thanks

-
Back