Help! What is this part?

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Took my front suspension completely apart 3 years ago and now going back togther, but cannot figure out what these are. I am thinking they are to do with the front suspension and are of mild steel. Have not touched the backend yet. Trans and engine are out. There are 2 of these. I thought they were spacers for the Lower Control Arm shaft, but don't fit anywhere. Cannot find any pics that show them. Have a 71 Dart, originally a 318 with AC.

Thanks......!!

SANY0233640x480.jpg

SANY0232640x480.jpg

You may be right. I purchased a complete kit from Just Suspension 3 years ago and it came with new poly bushings and spacers for the K member attachment, but the spacer went on the ID of the bushings, much longer and smaller in diameter. If you can find a pic, that would be great!! I don't want to leave out parts.

The only sleeves/spacers I saw in the parts book for front suspension was for the strut rods, but I thought they were a little larger. Sorry not much help.

These are collars that get pressed on the front upper control arm bushings after they are pressed in the arm. They were to keep the metal outer shell of the bushing in place so the arm didn't slide back or **** in the opening under pressure . I didn't put mine on, my bushings from energy suspension were pretty tight and didn't need them. I believe they were discontinued in later years, Some cars had them and some did not.

Attachments

• DSCF2602.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF2601.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 144
Sure looks like them.......I believe I will leave mine out also, unless someone has a good reason for keeping them.

Thanks!!

Sure looks like them.......I believe I will leave mine out also, unless someone has a good reason for keeping them.

Thanks!!
I personally have never put them back on unless the person is doing a resto and mentions he wants them in place. I do not see a need for them the rear bushing lip keeps the arm from sliding back. You would have to hit a very big pot hole to slide it over that rear lip. And you will need more than an upper a-arm if that happen's.

Once putting in all this work, I hope to avoid pot holes like the plague! Car will only be drivin on special occasion on the street.

-
Back