Help with Cam choice

-

darc1722

Reaction score
Looking to add some bolt on power to a 318 with good compression and doesn't burn drop of oil. It has an edelbrock 600cfm with an edelbrock LD4B intake and 1.5 inch headers. I was planning on adding a set of edelbrock aluminum heads 63cc chamber and was looking for some cam suggestions. No racing just cruising, has a 904 trans with a 2500 stall and a shift kit, 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gears. It's in a 1969 satellite convertible, would like a nice choppy idle. Thanks

As much as I think it's a waste of effort.. the Comp Thumper line 279TH7 should do what you want. Although in that car, with those heads, I'd recommend the XE262 as it will give you better usable power in a "heavy" B body.

IMO, I'd use the stock heads and if your getting the edelbrock heads for performance reasons, IMO (Again) the stock heads would be a better choice ported and cheaper. Even with the addition of larger 360 sized valves installed.

I agree with Mpoer on the cam size. It'll work well with 3.23's and a stock size (Or close) tire.

I should clarify.. The heads are not a "waste" IMO... Just overcamming to get a certain sound to me is.

MP .509 should work great w 2500 stall and 323s. HaHa ya rite! Will sound choppy enough though. Will want to stall when putting it in gear and will take off like a tired slant 6. If a MP cam is desired id say .474

compcams.com download camquest6, it's a virtual "dyno" where you can plug in all your specs and get a general idea of which cam would best for your application

-
Back