Help with Camshaft Selection..........

-

cecil4speed

Reaction score
Good morning guys. Its time to pick a cam. Need all your experience and help to get the right one. Here is my combination..
69' 340 engine,stock bore & stroke ( compression test - average 190psi )
X heads w/2.02 and 1.60 valves, Hooker headers w/2 1/2" exhaust
OEM Thermoquad intake w/demonsizzler built 800cfm superquad (stock jets)
Chrome box electronic ignition, demonsizzler recurved distributor
Manual A833 4 speed, 8 3/4 diff w/3.55's, 24"tire
This car is a daily driver with maybe an occasional trip to the track
I want the most possible bottom end and midrange torque without hurting top end too much, engine will not see over 6500rpm
I can go with roller cam, variable rate lifers such as Rhoads, or adjustable rockers if any benefit
(Possible future mods may include cyl head work,ie a good valve job, porting
etc.,x-pipe,3.91's, but not sure when these mods will be done)
I don't want to bother the cyl heads this winter
I think I should be going with short duration cam, but I need help with the lift, lobe separation angle and ramp speed,and whether the cam should be advanced or retarded. I don't mind lumpy idle, no power brakes.
Help me make her a tire burner... and thanks,Keith.

If you can do it once and for all, I recommend adjustable valve train and then you can use any cam you want down the road. The smallest solid lifter cam offered by Hughes Engines will give you everything you want. I know from experience. I know there are alternatives and I hope some of the guys chime in. Good luck with it.
Pat

Good morning guys. Its time to pick a cam. Need all your experience and help to get the right one. Here is my combination..
I want the most possible bottom end and midrange torque without hurting top end too much, engine will not see over 6500rpm
I can go with roller cam, variable rate lifers such as Rhoads, or adjustable rockers if any benefit
I think I should be going with short duration cam, but I need help with the lift, lobe separation angle and ramp speed,and whether the cam should be advanced or retarded. I don't mind lumpy idle, no power brakes.

Take a look at this article. This should get you started in the right direction.
My recommendations would be the Comp Cams XE268 or Lunati Voodoo 60403

http://compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-738676943

Happy motoring !

First thought would be the Comp XE268H.
But with the 2.02 valves,and 4spd,I would bump up to the XE274H,or maybe even the XE284H.

XE268H operating rate 1600-5800
XE274H operating rate 1800-6000
XE284H operating range 2300-6500

Cant hurt to call Comp Cams,give them your set-up,and see what they suggest. My money is on the 274.

Thats a nice article. Question? Is there a formula to figure out how much hp is lost from the crank to the rear wheels? 391 hp at the crank would equal how much to the rear wheels?
Thanks

562;

An automatic trans is given the general rule of 20%
while the manual is given the general rule of 15%

Keith, I like the 268 myself while the 4 spd cars can tolorate a larger cam vs. a auto trans car for the same set up, you might like the 274 with or without the future mods of head work and gear change. Your tire is small enuff to handle it. If it were a bigger tire, (27 inch) I'd stay small.

Part of the problem is exactly what you want. Your kind of in a split here.

If you can do it once and for all, I recommend adjustable valve train and then you can use any cam you want down the road. The smallest solid lifter cam offered by Hughes Engines will give you everything you want. I know from experience. I know there are alternatives and I hope some of the guys chime in. Good luck with it.
Pat

I think the solid cam would work great too. Or call Hughes.

I have their 2832 hydraulic in my 440 Coronet, it has a TON of response and low end torque, and has so far pulled a 13.02 at 106 with 3.23's and bad 60' time.
I am sold on their cams.

Thanks guys for the advice. Would like to have more input if anyone else wants to chime in. Looks like I want a cam around 268/272 for the bottom and midrange torque. Think I will stay with hydraulic unless someone can tell me the advantage of solid. Still not sure what lift, lobe seperation angle or ramp speed to go with,but I guess that depends on what is available or get a custom grind.Thanks and any more advice is welcome. Keith

Another vote for a Hughes setup from me. Call 'em and go with their recommendation. They'll get you set up just right.

I'd run Comp's thumpr cam. Perfect candidate for that cam! It makes tons of TQ down low, pulls very hard and will rev out nice even with stock heads!
Brian

-
Back