Help with flashers

-

hardcharger426

Reaction score
Hello Mopar Dudes,

I have a 71 duster, standard dash and grille. I just installed a new turn signal cam and harness.
The turn signals work, but if I turn on the headlights I have no signals and both the blinker lights are lit up solid on the dash. The Hazzards work with the lights turned off but not with the headlights turned on. The grill blinker lights are lit up as well but not flashing.

Also when the headlights are on are the grill lights supposed to be lit? They light up when the blinkers are on but fairly faint but not by themselves when the lights are on.

Any help would be appreciated. Does anyone have a wiring diagram other than the one below?

Attachments

• 71 duster wiring.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 260
Sure is typical of a bad ground somewhere, I'd check the ground straps from motor to engine to body, then check grounds down at front lites, both sides,,

and to convince yourself, a quick test would be run a test wire from neg battery to headlite ground prong, with headlite still attached.. (with that everything should work)

I bought this as a project car and I am putting it all back together. So It wasn't running when I got it.

I replaced the cam in the original harness because the blinker tabs were broken. But they wouldn't "click and stay" so I bought a whole new one blinker harness.

Before I replaced the whole switch I still had problems. The right side blinker worked the front lights but not the taillights. The left side worked the back but not the front and the dash light didn't light. The hazards worked all the way around. I can't remember if they worked with the headlights on, but I think it did. The blinkers were the issue.

The one thing on the new one is the hazard position is backwards.
my original pushed in for hazard. This one says hazard "in" but works backwards.

The power going down to the headlites can't ground,, so the juice comes back up thru the park/flasher bulb filiments, to ground thru the dash bulbs, at the dash, instead of the 2 ground connections on either side of the rad..

Likewise park/signals can't grnd there either..

and again

to convince yourself, a quick test would be run a test wire from neg battery to headlite ground prong, with headlite still attached.. (with that everything should work

I ground to the left side of the headlight and it didn't fix it.

I see that the blinker plug have been spliced on my car. on the diagram above they show 4 wires going into the plug in and two coming out.
Mine has three on the light . They may be spliced wrong since the colors don't match the incoming. How do I tell which is the positive side of the light bulb?

The driver side light plug has two black w/green tracers and one black.
the passenger side has two blacks and one black w/green or yellow tracer.

This is either a ground problem...............

or a wire crossed (bare, welded, melted) in the harness.

Check the grounds on the front and rear lamps both

If the car's all apart, here a coupla pix to show where the front lite grnds are located,, these need to be clean.. and make sure the battery is connected to the body,, you may have a ground strap missing from the motor to body at the firewall..

The black wires shown, ( circled in last pic.) are the ends of the black wire at your bulb sockets..

hope it helps

Attachments

• Hdlite grnds, and Mom's flower pot 004.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Hdlite grnds, and Mom's flower pot 005.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Hdlite grnds circled.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 263
The above...........

and don't assume that just because those wire connections are "good" that the sockets are actually grounded. Put a meter probe on the battery NEG post. Put the other probe on each socket -- the actual socket. If you read any voltage, it is not grounded.

Also I found that aftermarket signal cams do not always line up where the contacts are underneath the cam.
When I put mine in I had to bend the little contact wires to get it to work right, because when I first put it in the flasher would constantly click on and off with the lever in the center position.
None of the lights flashed while it was doing it either, so good luck with that can of worms.

I had to bend the spring contact wires slightly together at the tips, and then everything worked right.

The ground of park lamp bulb is the outer metal base of the bulb.
Ground path of the can be lost in crusty sockets.

It appears I have it figured out. I unwrapped the tape on the turn signal sockets and some Bozo spliced the socket wires together to have only one power feeding both circuits on the same side of the plug instead of one on each side. Then the other power from the blinker signal was sliced into the ground. Nice,

Thanks for the help guys.

-
Back