Help with Slant 6 oddity identification

-

Broke Farmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, going through cores acquired during my son's slant 6 turbo efi build and I have come across a few things about which I can't find information.

I have two forged crankshafts with NO casting numbers that cross reference.
Crank number 1 has a 13 on a throw and the number 70 on another throw. No other identifiers
Crank number 2 has a B on one throw and a number 28 on another. No other identifiers.

Both cranks have a 2.15 rear register for the flexplate but all six holes are evenly spaced. Which I believe there is no aftermarket flex plate for as they are not offset?

I have a 3 freeze plug block casting number 2463430-19 with a passenger stamp of IND225-R-2722080. This was painted orange and I kept the Chrysler Industrial Tag because it was cool IMO. This was the block we were going to use for the turbo build but went with a BH ribbed clock with 5 plugs instead.

Anyway, this block came out of a propane powered Massey Ferguson combine and is SUPER clean and has been magnafluxed good with the bores appearing to be able to work with just a hone job.

Does anyone know anything about the cranks above and why one of them could not be used in the above block for a stock build?

Thanks in advance!

I have no clue. Are you 100% SURE on the flange bolt holes being evenly spaced? Maybe @slantsixdan can shed some light on it.

I have no clue. Are you 100% SURE on the flange bolt holes being evenly spaced? Maybe @slantsixdan can shed some light on it.
It is very possible. Slants were used in many applications other than Mopar vehicles. I would not be surprised if Chrysler made some special configurations for applications for other customers. It would not surprise me if Chrysler made some "special" cranks with a even bolt pattern, because a customer wanted to use a particular drive unit. Massey/Furguson was a big customer of Chrysler. If the holes are evenly spaced, a small block flexplate should fit.

It is very possible. Slants were used in many applications other than Mopar vehicles. I would not be surprised if Chrysler made some special configurations for applications for other customers. It would not surprise me if Chrysler made some "special" cranks with a even bolt pattern, because a customer wanted to use a particular drive unit. Massey/Furguson was a big customer of Chrysler. If the holes are evenly spaced, a small block flexplate should fit.
I was thinking maybe an industrial application. I know they were used on forklifts, irrigation pumps, generators, welders and other things. I never wouldda guessed they'd have made a different crank flange. Weird.

Gentlemen you are correct. I used the wrong terminology. There is about .020 spacing difference between a couple of the holes. The aftermarket SFI flexplate I got from A&A doesn't fit as they are much more staggered. Rick Alison advised that if I had the one that looks even there is not an aftermarket SFI plate for it.

However - I don't mind making some mods or using a factory plate for a stock build. its the oddity of no casting numbers on both cranks that strikes me odd.

The industrial block did have a crank but I am not using it as it has the small register and pilot and the trans input shaft and front drum have been changed to run the larger register.

my main question is the lack of markings on the cranks and whether they are compatible with the early block since they are both forged

Basically what I am contemplating is getting some use out of all this stuff and assembling a stock block with my efi intake and turbo as a learning curve for the whole system without risking the cost of an expensive engine. (yeah - I should have thought about that before I dove so deep in the weeds but I have a terrible problem with "I'll show me" how complicated I can make things!

I can't help you but do you have a build thread, etc, showing some photos of this project?

Gentlemen you are correct. I used the wrong terminology. There is about .020 spacing difference between a couple of the holes. The aftermarket SFI flexplate I got from A&A doesn't fit as they are much more staggered. Rick Alison advised that if I had the one that looks even there is not an aftermarket SFI plate for it.
I would suggest looking into using a SFI small block flex plate. On a normal slant six crank, you need to elongate one hole, and it works. It might work for you. To save money just get a used stock 318 flex plate, and see if the bolt pattern matches the crank.

Thanks for the tips! Ill be stopping by A&A transmisson today. There is a solution for the flexplate. Not too worried about that. Just thought it weird that I had two old core engines with cranks that have no identifying casting numbers on them. I do know one of the blocks was a "warranty" block without the passenger side stamps.

I can't help you but do you have a build thread, etc, showing some photos of this project?
Have posted pics etc at various stages throughout the process but will start a dedicated thread in a few weeks when we begin assembly and installation of the high dollar engine (at least it was high dollar to me).

The definitive answer is in. Thanks for all the input gents as apparently I was too dense to pick up on it. There is NO aftermarket SFI rated flexplate for the Slant 6.

I will be modifying a small block flex plate per Charlie S' suggestion. Took me a while but now I get it. Thanks for the patience.

-
Back