[WANTED] Help with Solid Cam?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have the Schneider .420 used in a box down in the garage somewhere... I found it in a core motor that tossed a rod. Cam was cherry though...so I kept it.

Off the shelf, the 270S or "somethin close" is about it. If it's installed like it needs to be, it can run well and get decent mileage too. If you can find something with a bit less duration, that would work, too. I'm with @MOPAROFFICIAL in that I'm not crazy about Comp. Maybe check into that .420 lift from Schneider he was talkin about. Schneider makes good stuff. What's wrong with the stock cam?
Thanks Triple R! Oh, it just looks a bit Pitted to me, much like my Main Main Bearings did and the Inside of My Oil Pump and the Rod Bearings too...
Whaddayou think? Put it back in and Send it?

20211127_231430.jpg

Thanks Triple R! Oh, it just looks a bit Pitted to me, much like my Main Main Bearings did and the Inside of My Oil Pump and the Rod Bearings too...

View attachment 1715859813
Hit it with some #400 emery cloth and mineral spirits if it scares you and run it.

View attachment 1715859813
That cam is toast.
Throw it away. It would eat the lifters in no time.

It's already into the casting.

It's got alot of Burnt-On Oil all over it... I think that's what your seeing. It might Clean-up?

View attachment 1715859833
Closer pics of the lobes for a final verdict.
If you see shiny across the entire lobe... its supposed to be on one side 'think spinning lifters'...and little spots...its worn the hardened surface and into the casting.

That stock cam is the one that chewed up the cam bearings you had to change isn’t it?

Any thoughts how a stock two barrel 360 cam would work toward the overall goal?
Spec's .410/.412 - 252 / 256 - 111 LSA

Yeah, not willing to risk my build with Hydraulic Lifters tho... unless they were N.O.S. from the 70's.
And if MoparOfficial comes thru with the Schneider Solid Cam this conversation will finally be over!

Remember though, when looking at the wear pattern, the pattern WILL widen up some when coming up to the peak of the lobe. I agree about cleaning it up and measuring. The last thing you need is another failure of any kind.

Let @MOPAROFFICIAL help you out. He seems willing. That's what all the guys say. LOL

Anyway, lookin at it again, it ain't worth a crap. Throw that sumbitch away. See the yellow "circle".
CAMSHAFT.jpg

Contact Oregon Cam Grinding
Cam Grinding, Camshafts, Racing & Performance Equipment (oregoncamshaft.com)
Tell them what you have and what you want. I bet they can supply any/everything you need, at a reasonable cost

Agree, ask for the old Isky E4 grind for the 273. It is slightly bigger Than the stock 273 4 barrel cam.

ISKY
Grind No./Type
E-4 SOLID Tremendous torque & good mid-range power. 9-10.5
1 compr. good idle stock converter. 3.23-3.70 axle ratio. Up to 625 CFM Carb. RPM-Range
2000-5500 Valve Lift - INT
.425 EXT
.425 Valve Lash Hot -

Last edited:
Any Luck Finding that Used One Man?
No not yet. I worked the grinder today.
Come to think of it...it was the hyd 256
.420 204 256

[email protected] is about the max for a drop in good performance match for the stock convertor n gears. It get soggy after that...or peaky if you move lsa around.. then the idle get choppy.

In your case , for power , you want .450 lift after lash..that's where the heads start peaking or get near it.

Last edited:
Imo and some may disagree but I think your best bet would be to get some luniti microtrol hyd lifters and a luniti voodoo 700 or 701 cam. Or talk talk to Oregon and see if your cam can be reground. Any of the solid camshafts are gonna be expensive and hard to get.

How do you find the Find the Lift and Separation with the Cam in one hand and a Mic or Caliper in the other hand?

Lift you can measure with a mic. Measure the the diameter of the round side then the lobe and subtract the two then multiply by rocker ratio. A stock sbm is 1.5

LobeLiftSmall.gif

Oregon will regrind that core for 89 bucks, or sell you one outright if you don't wanna pay shippin both ways for under 200. You can call Ken and ask him about a good pick for a grind. Just remember if you go with a hydraulic, they take different length pushrods. I would stay solid. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back