Helping with local car show. Looking for advice/ideas

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, with my new job I have the opportunity to help out and volunteer with a car show.
Its been going for a few years now and has a good following.
Its a one day event and is on Fathers day Sunday.
I know i will have a blast helping in any capacity but anyone got any advice or ideas in all aspects of it? Been to lots but have never helped.
Thanks
Steve

Hi all, with my new job I have the opportunity to help out and volunteer with a car show.
I know i will have a blast helping in any capacity but anyone got any advice or ideas in all aspects of it? Been to lots but have never helped.
Thanks
Steve
I did that a couple of yrs ago, I`ll not do it again !

Trophy and prize for best father son built car or father son combined cars ?

Thanks jimmer any suggestions are welcome, games, prizes, themes.
I like your idea jimmer, sticking with Father's day theme.

If you have the room give the cars some space. They show a lot better that way. Just an idea,maybe double space them to start then fill in if needed.
Yote

Thanks Yote, the space is somewhat limited. They haven't put any info up on the website yet. I plan on mentioning for them to post a link from previous shows on the website.
Thanks!
Trophy and prize for best father son built car or father son combined cars ?

If you have the room give the cars some space. They show a lot better that way. Just an idea,maybe double space them to start then fill in if needed.
Yote

I like going to shows were the folks have open minds. If the show is based on "Bling" then it is pretty easy.

If based on other things like originality + then you have a lot to know, you need to understand how the other brands did things. I.E. Mopar painted under hood body color, the others may not have etc. Just be true to what you see and feel and you cannot fail! Have Fun!

Thanks
Steve
Keep it informal the less rules the better that way less people get their nose out of joint. If there is any judging peoples choice takes the heat off the promoters of the show. The double spacing is also a great idea.

Thanks
Steve

I would be a host and take all the pretty girls on a personal tour.... :D

Giggity, giggity.... :lol:

My family puts one on every year. All proceeds go to the American Cancer Society. We have a chines auction. We put in each goodie bag a ticket, then out through the day they draw tickets for a give away. Things like hats, coffee mugs, soda, auto cleaning supplies what ever someone wants to donate. We always have an auction for the women out there. We do trophies. 1st, 2nd & 3rd places for each class. We have 14 different classes. We do dash plaques. We also sell our own t-shirts.

You don't say how many cars you get, but if it's no more than 300 I would ask the entrants to be judges. One from each of the big 3 type cars and one for imports and one for pre 50's cars. Have each of them pick their top 10 and hand out trophy's to the highest vote getters. I would also have each entrant pick their choice for best in show. Car with the most votes wins. That way you don't have a bias toward any one type or style of car.

Jack

Take a deep breath and be prepared for controversy. The folks who do all the work are usually great....some of the participants are not. I did it for several years, but never again.

Thanks all. Im not sure what my role will be but I figgered I would ask for advice here as I would like to positively contribute to the show. Last year if i recall they had over 200 + cars. Grows every year.
Like I said whether its serving wobbly pops or parking the entrants or petsonal tours for the ladies it will be fun!
Anyone got ideas for games? Keep in mind its father's day.
Thanks again!

I'm going to be in charge of our home town show again this year. Last year being the first.
It's the same day as the town fair.
There is stuff going on all day at the same spot as the show.

Things we did last year.
Cars
Bikes
Boats
Tractors
Anything and everything is welcome.

No judging.
Every car that came in got numbered. Drew numbers for prizes that were donated.

Less is more as far as I'm concerned.

I'm trying to convince the church ladies to switch up the food this year. More walk around friendly rather than needing to sit down with a knife and fork.

If there will be judging, try to keep the number of classes to a minimum. Nothing worse than sitting through 1 1/2 hours of announcing all the different winners.

We are planning on doing a car cruise before the show this year too. That way most of the cars will show up at once. Should be cool.

I work, the registration lanes, every year at the CEMA (Chrysler Employee Motorsport Association) show. We welcome any make/model/year vehicles. I enjoy speaking with everyone I "register" and learn about them and their car. One year I was asked to be a judge, as we were shorthanded, and will never do it again. I didn't feel right "judging" somebody else's vision. I enjoy and appreciate factory original, numbers matching, restomods, etc... I enjoy what makes the owner happy.

well - don't dress like this
adult-dotted-clown-costume.jpg
- keep your mind off of "Thursday" - and if you HAVE to take a camera with you, aim it at the flippin' cars will ya!? :D

No trophies
Make sure everyone knows which charity the money collected goes to.
Have the charity on hand and helping if possible.
Get the local community groups involved (rotary, lions) and any other community organizations your town has.

Hi Steve , I was the President of a car club in Massachusetts back in the 1990's . We put on a car show in August every year . They are now in their 26th year . Made some mistakes . But worth the effort . They even hosted the Good Guys Event at the Big E . FIRST: Organization ; make a plan . SECOND: Manpower ; more the better . THIRD : SPONSORS; more the better, our show now has sponsors chasing us . FORTH: Venue; grass is best , asphalt is ok . FIFTH: Free stuff , do not charge participants a fee to enter, never **** on the people whom you invite . charge the public . SIXTH: Food & beverages , invite a food truck if you can't cook . SEVENTH: Insurance , x-tremly important . EIGHTH: Absolutly NO alcohol , gasoline and booze don't mix . NINTH: Trophies optional (public pick) witnessed fist fights over trophies . TENTH: After show party for all who worked their asses off . Can be at a later date . There it is in a nutshell . If you need any more help pm me . Later, Tom

Hi Steve , I was the President of a car club in Massachusetts back in the 1990's . We put on a car show in August every year . They are now in their 26th year . Made some mistakes . But worth the effort . They even hosted the Good Guys Event at the Big E . FIRST: Organization ; make a plan . SECOND: Manpower ; more the better . THIRD : SPONSORS; more the better, our show now has sponsors chasing us . FORTH: Venue; grass is best , asphalt is ok . FIFTH: Free stuff , do not charge participants a fee to enter, never **** on the people whom you invite . charge the public . SIXTH: Food & beverages , invite a food truck if you can't cook . SEVENTH: Insurance , x-tremly important . EIGHTH: Absolutly NO alcohol , gasoline and booze don't mix . NINTH: Trophies optional (public pick) witnessed fist fights over trophies . TENTH: After show party for all who worked their asses off . Can be at a later date . There it is in a nutshell . If you need any more help pm me . Later, Tom
Agree with all above. 10 1/2 At the workers party discuss what can be done better next year and make notes. A lot gets forgotten in a year.

Take a deep breath and be prepared for controversy. The folks who do all the work are usually great....some of the participants are not. I did it for several years, but never again.
I am a member of a Sacramento Ca based Mopar club. We have an annual Mopar show that funds our clubs activities for the year. I have been involved with planning and day of show activities for 13 years.
First up: 90% of the work seems to be done by 10% of the members. This is the case with most volunteer based clubs. There are the casual members that creep in unannounced while everyone else is busy, these latecomers will stroll the show enjoying themselves while others really need a break! The ones that do work are rarely acknowledged by these lazy assholes that show up for an hour then go home. This happens at our show every year.
Secondly, some show car owners take themselves TOO seriously! They wig out if they don't get a prime parking spot or if another car scores better. The best that we can do is apologize and try to make corrections on the fly.
Thirdly, problems will pop up. A good staff will be able to correct them so that few people will notice or care. The key to this is to have a plan for every aspect as well as a backup plan if the primary one hits a snag. For this I mean overflow for parking, alternate bathrooms in case of increased attendance, a plan to get more supplies in case they run low and even something as unexpected as fire extinguishers for the unlikely event that someone needs it.
Me? I have tried for several years to have a few trophy classes a bit outside of the norm. I wanted an "Ugly Mopar" class where entrants could show their street legal, currently registered Mopar that is ugly for whatever reason be it wear, abuse or just terrible styling. I keep getting shot down on that one.

Judges at car shows are akin to moderators on forums. All work and in general Under appreciated.
I've been a judge at a major car show, 2000 plus cars. I didn't feel under appreciated at all, but it sure was hard trying to figure out the best cars. I didn't hear one complaint from a car owner the whole time and they bent over backward to show us their cars.

Jack

very well put 383 scampman, and right on point. I used to be in a car club here and all I heard was complaints all day long. if I may make one suggestion, as far as charities go. people are willing to go the extra mile with an organization like Wounded Warriors. also have some disabled vets show up. people are very dedicated to such an important cause, plus we at a time where we need to be standing behind the united states of America. this is just my two cents worth but I feel you will have a better turnout and raise more money for a wonderful organization. they like to participate in these type of events to make people more aware of their situations.

-
Back