Hemi - 5speed - hydr clutch system

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
Hi,
this less Hemi related. I know. But I know as well that here is the best tech ;-)

Currently I have the attached master/slave installation in the Dart. Unfortunately it is not serviceable, means all pressed together plastic cylinders and line. This set is out of a 96 Dodge Dakota, V6. I have the 5 speed from a Toyota Supra installed.

Now the master is sucking air.
And replacing with the same plastic stuff is ...

a) very expensive in Germany because not to get that easy, impossible

b) What I'm looking for is a similar set but serviceable. With bleeder screws ..... Any idea?

Attachments

• 96 Dakota clutch hydraulic.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 871
I have R154 also behind 3G hemi, and I am using Wilwood master (just same which is on link rapidtransitric posted) and Supra R154 slave cylinder. Bolt holes need some work to get match and longer pushrod. Works OK.

ok.
But I like the design of the Master I have. Its deep down mounted at the hole where the Z-bar rod is mounted. No work there and nice hidden.

So you say the Supra slave fits the Dakota Bell housing? Thats cool and easy to find I guess.

Yes, it fits to Dakota bell, just need to gring bolt holes longer and some good washers under the nuts. Or make a new threads to the bellhousing.
It look like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Clut...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
There are also different model on market for W-58 gearbox but it is totally different, so be sure that it is R154 type before ordering.

About the master cylinder, I didnt have either room to bolt it up, next to brake master. So I put it down with a angled adapter plate and long rod to original Z-bar pin. If you go this route, there are 3 choices of pistons sizes at wilwood master, I bought 3/4, but 5/8 would have been better choice, now the pedal is bit hard.

Jousi, that sounds perfect. And easy. Might be what I'm looking for.

Yes, thats the position where my master is too. But with that angle, correct me, is your master horizontal? Or does it go downwards like mine?

Maybe a point now where pictures may help.

Another point, why not a master from an european car?

That Wilwood is assembled normally horisontal, but in this case I need to angled it down, just like your Dakota OEM, because of attachment of the pushrod and simple fysics:
If you put cylinder down and straight rod to lower point of pedal, it will be too heavy to use.
I tried first Supra master but stroke and piston was too small for my set up, and clutch release just very bottom.
Plus these Wilwoods are available allmost every speedshop, even in Finland.

If you want European stuff, some people are using M-B master and internal slave/release bearing on A-833, but I reckon that price will be at least same like Dakota system.

Sorry, no pictures on my work computer, and next time I am home at Christmas...

great input anyway. Will check buddies junkyard for different masters and buy a Supra slave.
maybe I can make an angle adaper for the master myself or weld a mounting plate on the one I have from the Dakota. There is always a solution.... ;-) Just needed a "kick"... Thank you!

this is one hard to get cylinder here in Germany, Jousi.....
1987-92 TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0L L6 TURBO W/O ABS
(TRW – PJH157)
072-8627 BECK/ARNLEY
0728627 BECK/ARNLEY
31470-14050 TOYOTA
3147014050 TOYOTA
CRT-024 AISIN

In my Moprts thread we are discussing Wilwood Master, Jeep Cherokee slave and hose from Advanced adapters.

Hi,
Yes, I noticed that aluminium AX15 slave topic. Looked like nice piece to go and without any hassle.

Rockauto sells Supra cylinder maybe 20-30USD but of course for us the shipping is same or more over it :(

a buddy from work did a trip to the states and had space in his luggage. Now I have the wilwood master, Supra and jeep slave, adv Adapt hose. All for 30,- each. Damn cheap.... :) when its a bit warmer here I will try.
Only concern is the angle of the master. Wilwood goes 90 degree from the firewall but I want the Dakota angle of 45 degree

Wilwood Master and Jeep slave are installed. Biggest challange was to bring the master in the 45 degree angle. I had to fabricate an adapter to bolt the master on and than on the firewall low position. Building a new push rod was a piece of cake. I can make pictures if interested....

I used this angled bracket from a Dakota and an old bearing and made a piece of sheet metal... making the rod was easy. The Cherokee slave was just a bolt in....

Attachments

• sIMG_2068.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 529
  • sIMG_2070.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 462
  • sIMG_2071.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 485
  • sIMG_2074.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 474
  • sIMG_2078.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 467
Looking very good! Nice to see that you could use the Dakota bracket as a base.

How is your pedal feel now compared to the old system?

I have same size master, but with that Supra slave. It´s piston is quite small, so pedal is bit hard but still ok.
Hopely you have nice weather coming to Germany and can take the car to the road!

pedal feel is different cause is much less way for the pedal. I changed my design at the rod. clutch is engaging later but early enough. did already some small burnouts at the garage :-D so its working fine so far. Pedal is soft as in a modern car. but it has to proof itself in street trafic soon ;-)

wilwood has 3 options in piston diameter. I did choose the middle.

forgot to mention that the clutch pedal is now level with the brake pedal. In the old set up it was way in front of the brake pedal. So I had to move my foot a lot. Now I slide from one to the other :)

I am using the same dakota setup and bought my parts separately. I am going to use:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-641001/media/images and make my own hose to connect the two. I have heard without the bleeder you can bench bleed the system by pointing the master so the hose is in the air and pumping the crap out of it with the slave connected also with the hose facing up. This lets all the air make its way to the tank....I haven't tried it yet but I will be soon.

Its been a while since I've logged into the A-bodies site but my build thread is over on FBBO. I am putting a NV3500 Dakota trans behind my hemi in a Coronet.

I should also point out, to remove the hose to make it servicable you pull the roll pin out at the hose connection and it pops out.

the roll pin is used in the jeep slave as well. But the slave has a bleeder screw and is not plastic. You are right with bench bleeding the Dakota set...

Did you use the stock pickup point for the master rod on the pedal (in other words does the master attach to the pedal in the same place as the old mechanical linkage)? I've been thinking about a hydraulic swap since my mechanical linkage is junk. I have too many mismatched parts or wrong pieces and not enough room with the Hemi and headers. Didn't want to hack up the firewall, so I was planning on mounting at a angle like you did.

I've also been looking at putting my slave at an angle and couldn't picture it. Now to find myself that Dakota bracket and work on making it bolt the wilwood just like yours.

Thanks for posting these pictures.

Riddler

-
Back