Hemi 6 245 & 265 Crates

-

bthieson

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've searched the forums trying to find any kind of information on these crates, but haven't found a thing.

I was goofing around doing some research on the E49 Chargers, when I found this:

http://www.hemiperformance.com.au/store2/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=197

Has anyone had any experience with these? Could you point me in any direction? Has anyone been able to get one into their north american A-body?

I appreciate any and all help you could afford me.

You may want to move this to the slant 6 section. I'm also curious what interchanges... But between the core charge and then shippng to the US from Austrailia, import duties, the exchange rate, etc, you're looking at close to $10K US for it.

Hi bthieson, what do you want to know about this?

I have 1 X Hemi 265 4bbl in a boat, 1 X E49+ spec in an Australian Charger and a few 265's in storage for a rainy day. I purchased a motor from the crowd you linked to many year ago (1989) - when young and stupid - never again. I now build all my own engines, then I know that what I pay for is what is in the engine and that the machine work is up to scratch.

Note the crate motor advertised is not new. (no new Hemi 6 blocks are available.)

The Australian A body Charger and Pacer engine bay is much same as late 60's US Dart engine bay except for location of steering box, Master Cylinder, etc. 4spd manual has a slightly different transmission hump to US A bodies (easy to modify though), 3spd manuals and autos should be the same (no different to small block A body).

You may have a problem with exhaust on US Steering box so would need custom extractors. Tripple Webbers may be a problem on Brake Booster/Master Cyl. 4BBL would probably be OK.

The Hemi 6 is a bit longer than a Slant but over here many Slants in early/mid 60's A bodies (shorter engine bay) are replaced by Hemi 6's. so they can be fitted.

Cheers
Jamie

Hi bthieson, what do you want to know about this?

I have 1 X Hemi 265 4bbl in a boat, 1 X E49+ spec in an Australian Charger and a few 265's in storage for a rainy day. I purchased a motor from the crowd you linked to many year ago (1989) - when young and stupid - never again. I now build all my own engines, then I know that what I pay for is what is in the engine and that the machine work is up to scratch.

Note the crate motor advertised is not new. (no new Hemi 6 blocks are available.)

The Australian A body Charger and Pacer engine bay is much same as late 60's US Dart engine bay except for location of steering box, Master Cylinder, etc. 4spd manual has a slightly different transmission hump to US A bodies (easy to modify though), 3spd manuals and autos should be the same (no different to small block A body).

You may have a problem with exhaust on US Steering box so would need custom extractors. Tripple Webbers may be a problem on Brake Booster/Master Cyl. 4BBL would probably be OK.

The Hemi 6 is a bit longer than a Slant but over here many Slants in early/mid 60's A bodies (shorter engine bay) are replaced by Hemi 6's. so they can be fitted.

Cheers
Jamie

Jamie you beat me to it. There are plenty of web sites on these in Oz.

http://www.hemi6pack.com/forum/content.php

I have imported quie a few things from the USA to Oz, I have no idea on the US import duties but getting thing for the USA to here has never been a problem.
If you are capable of building your own engines that's the way to go, stay away from crate Hemi 6 engines.

Subscribed. Were these really better than the /6?

What other manifold configurations were they? All 4bbl? some 2bbl or 1bbl? I'm totally clueless on them. I'd love to see cutaways of the heads too. Not sure why they're called hemis.. Plug location looks the same as the typical slants...

The combustion chamber isn't actually hemispherical. It's almost kind of sort of partly close; the "Hemi" name was more for marketing than for accuracy. Is it "better" than the slant-6? That depends what means "better". The Hemi-6 isn't as smooth as the Slant-6, but the Hemi saw a lot more attention paid to it and so was developed to a greater extent in terms of power output, etc. 1bbl, 2bbl, 4bbl, and 6bbl versions were produced by the factory. There's some decent info and pics in the Wikipedia article; more detailed development info and lots of pictures in Bill Weertman's book.

As for installation in US A-bodies: Yes, with varying degrees of difficulty depending on the specific car in question. It's a longer engine than the Slant-6. Some of them have the same bellhousing pattern as an A/LA V8, others do not (and the ones that do not also don't have a Slant-6 bellhousing pattern, and the only automatic that bolts to them is a cruddy BorgWarner BW35). I'm sure I've seen conversion mount kits to drop a Hemi-6 in place of a Slant-6, but at the moment I can't find them. Send e-mail to Graeme at Blue Star Spares, Ray at Pentastar Parts and Restoration, check with Nev at GPRS, and post a query on Mopar Market Forum. Also get in touch with Jeff "OzHemi" Rubin, [email protected] . He has imported a lot of Australian Mopars and parts (including Hemi engines) to the States over the years. And see a few Hemi-6s advertised on Craigslist in California here and here.

As for Hemi Performance -- I haven't checked lately, but the last time I did check, some years back, their reputation was fair to poor in terms of customer service and providing the parts they say they are providing.

(and the only automatic that bolts to them is a cruddy BorgWarner BW35).

Some rare Hemi 6 had the Torquefilte bolt paten but you will pay big dollars.
Castlemaine Rod Shop in Oz have a snadwich plate to fit borwaner bolt paten to Torqueflite.

The R/T Chragers had a factory 305HP & cut the 1/4 in 13.9s , I have seen NA ones at 400FWHP

we make manifolds, valve covers, side plates for the Hemi sixes, we do the Aussiespeed pp&r Hurricane hemi 4 barrel manifold.we have a complete blower kit in the later stages of development also. any one wanting Aussiespeed Hemi 6 parts may be able to get it shipped with Franks orders, we have a guy with a 10 second blow through turbo 265 aussie charger..

Thanks Dan. I haven't talked to Oz in a while but I may drop him a line. It doesnt sound like there really was that much different in them tho. Seems like a big power difference for not much engineering difference.

Thanks Dan. I haven't talked to Oz in a while but I may drop him a line. It doesnt sound like there really was that much different in them tho. Seems like a big power difference for not much engineering difference.

I don't know much about that engine family, but I'd bet that the head off a "Hemi" six flows a ton better than a /6 head. Because of its extra 40 cubic inches (over a 225 /6) and its "Hemi" performance heritage, I'd imagine that it has a lot more potential as a normally-aspirated powerplant that would be appropriate in an A-bodied car.

But, having said that, I also wonder about its ability to absorb the brutal stresses of extreme boost that the /6 seems designed for. The very fact that the /6 was originally designed to be an aluminum engine, and when they cast it in iron, they didn't weaken the design parameters, makes the /6 seem to be a "built-for-boost" design that looks to have no equal in that realm. I know of guys who routinely run boost values in the high 20's with little or no deleterious effects on the engine. They might be able to run boost levels As high as 40-45 pounds with no ill effects, which would produce horsepower figures in the 600+ range, if they can keep away from detonation. This is pure speculation, I realize, but seems do-able as they're making over 500 at the present with around 25 pounds of boost.

The 245/265 Australian Hemi 6 was designed as a lightweight engine, which probably means thinwall casting techniques. I just wonder if it's anywhere near as boost-friendly in terms of engine longivity at high rates of boost as the /6 is.

Maybe someone with experience these engines using forcced induction could enlighten us about this area of their performance.

Thanks for any information!

Surely somebody knows something about these engines as regards their comparative infrastructure (as to how they measure up to a /6 in robust construction.)

Are there any books on this motor? I love it just for the cool factor,in the same way I love a turbo slant 6!

unfortunately, virtually nothing is interchangable between the hemi6 and the slant, although there are quite a few chev bits that can be made to fit, IMO, the greatest strength of these motors is in the head design, although not a true hemi, the 18 degree opposed valves allow a much larger valve to be installed a lot closer to the wall of the combustion chamber than a regular parralel valved head, the intake ports on these don't need much at all in the way of porting as they are allready very large in comparison to the size of the motor, usually just a tidy up of the short side and valve guide area is ample.

from wikipedia;

Specifications (for 2bbl carbureted variant):
  • Bore Size: 3.91 in (99.3 mm)
  • Stroke: 3.68 in (93.5 mm)
  • Compression ratio: 9.5:1
  • Power: 203 hp (151 kW) @ 4600 rpm
  • Torque: 262 ft·lbf (355 Nm) @ 2800 rpm
  • Intake valve head diameter: 1.96 in (49.8 mm)
  • Exhaust: 1.60 in (40.6 mm)
there's a lot saved on them in the links section of hemi6pack.com

here's a bit

http://www.hemi6pack.com/forum/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=4&id=530

http://www.hemi6pack.com/forum/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=4&id=352

http://www.hemi6pack.com/forum/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=4&id=41

All in all, I think their a brilliant motor, which has been known to suprise A LOT of v8 contendors in aus over the years,

couple more links for you..

and for the record, it was only a fuel hose that let go in the below clip.. :)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdLqIvG6PGo"]YouTube - Rob Burns Charger[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnee48#p/u/6/jxB9ZFDZHbU

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnbmW5kz9i0&playnext=1&list=PLD841737ADD0D60C9"]YouTube - Hemi 265 @ 7000 rpm[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0XvFBtJXc"]YouTube - Justasix Centura turbo hemi six[/ame]

and yes there are quite a few turbo'd aplications over here that seem to hold up quite well, a lot running 8-10lb quite happily with a standard bottom end.

cheers,

Dan.

unfortunately, virtually nothing is interchangable between the hemi6 and the slant, although there are quite a few chev bits that can be made to fit, IMO, the greatest strength of these motors is in the head design, although not a true hemi, the 18 degree opposed valves allow a much larger valve to be installed a lot closer to the wall of the combustion chamber than a regular parralel valved head, the intake ports on these don't need much at all in the way of porting as they are allready very large in comparison to the size of the motor, usually just a tidy up of the short side and valve guide area is ample.

Dan.

Thanks for the links and all the good information!!!!

Bill, have you checked out Mopar market forum for info on the hemi 6?
click here for the link.
apart from the hemi 6 section,there are other places within the forum that will provide you with info re that engine.

regards,Rod

Bill, have you checked out Mopar market forum for info on the hemi 6?
click here for the link.
apart from the hemi 6 section,there are other places within the forum that will provide you with info re that engine.

regards,Rod

No, I wasn't aware of that website. Thanks for making me aware if it!

Looks like a good source!:read2:

Ozhemi Jeff lives about 10 miles from me and I always see his unique Aussie car at LB swap meet. Also his crate motor parts are always on OC craigslist

beware of hemiperormance-Ive had a few shipments with things missing.

http://www.chiheads.com.au/cylinder_heads_hemi.php

this head allows the little straight 6 to reach 450hp naturally aspirated-10.43 second 1/4 mile

Great engines-you really feel the torque and they're totally bullet proof

If you're really interested do a search on moparmarket regarding parts vendors
as some are nasty and some super expensive.

www.ebay.com.au always has a few engines on offer usually very cheap.

I just sold mine last year to a guy who wanted to put it in a Duster/Demon

Youre' definitely going to run into trouble with the LHS/RHS side of things as the extractors are flush in line with a LHS steering box.

They really do roar though all the way past 6 grand

heres an idea of what they sound like in a race-truly awesome

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Z_U9SXy7Q"]YouTube - Classic Adelaide, Bathurst Charger[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_X3m9j2dQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Bathurst Charger in Classic Adelaide Rally[/ame]

ENJOY

I love the aussie chargers and the hemi 6's. My dad lives outside of sydney I am going to visit sometime soon.

-
Back