Hemi Grind Camshaft .471/.474" 284 duration

-

scatpackbee

Reaction score
Anyone have previous experience with the old school Hemi Grind .471/.474 " 284 degree duration camshaft?

I pulled one out of my 340 when rebuilt it 15 years ago, and I'm thinking of giving it a try someday.

Would it be worth a try or too unstreetable with a stock intake, stock exhaust manifold '69 340 with a 4 speed and 3.23 gear?

Thanks for your input.

It would probably be ok with a 3.23 and a 4 speed, but better with a 3.55.

I had one in my 67 barracuda with a 340 in the 70's. stock X heads, headers, torker intake, 3.23 posi 8 3/4, 727 auto. Went strong after it got to 3000 rpm but not so much down lower. As a result going to work in the city got me about 7 mpg (Canadian). Ran 14.2 quarter. pretty rough idle. 7 to 8 inches of vacuum. sounded good though. Gas was a lot lower and so were my wages. Restoring the same car right now but going with 21st century tech this time.

I used to think this way, and still occasionally "compare" what I remember to those old cams. But you would be FAR better off picking a newer updated grind that simply matches what you want to do.

Better grinds out there for you but if you want to run it give it some compression and advance it 4 degrees.

I ran the "roadrunner" 284/484 cam in my 340 in front of 3.91's. ran great. It was soft enough down low not to roast the tires, sort of a built in 'soft launch' but got on it very soon afterwords. would bark 2nd hard, even 3rd a few times.

The Hemi grind is a damn good one. Regardless if there are more modern grinds available.

I always liked the Hemi Grind....I believe the old Direct Connection part # was
3690213 if my memory is correct. Bought one back in 1976 from Islington Chrysler
In Etobicoke, cost me $ 39.00. Put it in a bone stock '71 340 Duster, original everything
Including exhaust manifold...did have 4:11 rear gears but street tires.
Car went a best 13.40 at 107 mph. It was a little lazy in '60 ft., needed a good
converter but a lot of people were surprised how hard it ran. I would run one again.

-
Back